Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

prBoom+ - Using secret exit on levels besides MAP16

So I'm trying to test out using the secret exit on a Doom II map other than MAP16. In this case I was playing around with using it on MAP01, and instead of sending me to MAP31, it sent me back to MAP01. Is this something that was carried over from the original .exe? And if so is there some kind of information somewhere as to where each map sends you to with a secret exit? (Also if there's some way I could convince the developer of prBoom+ to change this 'feature' that would be much obliged, as otherwise I'll have to switch to a different source port)

1 minute ago, printz said:

I think this would make UMAPINFO worth it.

It absolutely would; it's the fact I don't have access to this I'm trying to find a roundabout way of shortening my project. I originally was going to use a secret exit to bypass half the levels but this issue prevents me from accomplishing this. A shame UMAPINFO has stagnated, if there isn't a solution I'll likely switch to a main port like Doom Retro instead and add corresponding MAPINFO's per source port down the road. (Which is a hassle I'd love to avoid)

Secret exits on maps besides 15 and 31 will send you to the last level you entered through an intermission screen, or to map01 if you haven't seen such a screen yet. It's an accurate emulation of doom2 and it shouldn't be changed, except in a hypothetical new complevel or something.

1 minute ago, Girl of Satan said:

Secret exits on maps besides 15 and 31 will send you to the last level you entered through an intermission screen, or to map01 if you haven't seen such a screen yet. It's an accurate emulation of doom2 and it shouldn't be changed, except in a hypothetical new complevel or something.

Figures. Ah well, I suppose this will give me the chance to play around with Doom Retro for once, I haven't given the port any attention before now.

Secret exits behave differently in Doom and Doom 2, as far as I can remember. In Doom they always take you to exm9 of that episode. Where the exit takes you when exiting the secret map is also hardcoded. E1m9 -> e1m4, e2m9 -> e2m7, e3m9 to e3m7 and e4m9 -> e4m3. I haven't checked but I think secret exits on exm9 maps take you to the same map again.

This makes it possible to make super secret maps and unorthodox progression. If you place a secret exit where the obvious normal exit is on e2m1, the quickest/normal way to finish that episode would be: e2m1 -> e2m9 -> e2m7 -> e2m8. This would allow you to put a 'secret' exit on e2m1 that is actually the normal exit. You could then do the same on e2m2, making e2m2 to e2m6 all "hidden" maps. This has been talked about occasionally, but offhand I can't think of any wads that use this principle. It would be cool with a map set with _6_ hidden hard to get to maps :)

You could also put two obvious exits on e2m5. One goes to e2m9, another to e2m6, allowing you to pick which map to do before e2m7. You could even have those two maps be pretty much the same, but allow the exit decide whether you go in by the main gate or take the sewer route or some other RPGish idea. I am sure people can come up with some interesting ideas.

Most wads use doom 2 as the base, and due to the difference in how secret exits work, this hasn't really come up as an altenrative to the plain old regular progression.

This kind of unorthodox progression would be well received among speed runners, since you could allow for more tactical choices. Doom 2 has a bit of that, going for the secret exit on map15 is easier and fairly fast compared to the map31 route. Doing map32 is also very quick, and you can fill up on ammo etc. With the new switch trick on map15, the normal exit route just got a bit quicker to do, that shook up the established route choices a bit.

Yeah, this is why I just find Doom 1 superior. As well as for many other reasons. With a bit of Dehacked and sprite imports you can make it like Doom 2 in all but the SSG.

5 minutes ago, zokum said:

This makes it possible to make super secret maps and unorthodox progression. If you place a secret exit where the obvious normal exit is on e2m1, the quickest/normal way to finish that episode would be: e2m1 -> e2m9 -> e2m7 -> e2m8. This would allow you to put a 'secret' exit on e2m1 that is actually the normal exit. You could then do the same on e2m2, making e2m2 to e2m6 all "hidden" maps. This has been talked about occasionally, but offhand I can't think of any wads that use this principle. It would be cool with a map set with _6_ hidden hard to get to maps :)

Cool post. No End in Sight does this in episode three to make ... e3m4 -> e3m9 -> e3m7 ... the normal progression and e3m5 and e3m6 the secret maps.  

I also took advantage of that in Ultimatum since there weren't enough maps to fill the entire episode before the deadline was reached. It's why I was considering doing something similar with Doom II, but alas...

I planned on using e1m9 as map 4 in my E1 project, however people were pistol starting and missing the point :-(