0 the

- deadline

1 in

9 two

9 weeks

edit:

4 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Two weeks is enough time.

for a 120-minute time limit, i'd say it's a bit more than enough, unless you're expecting like 5 sections per person

in which case, i will be a grave disappointment

Edited by bonnie

So that it finishes. Two weeks is enough time. If this turns out to have promise, future iterations can be even larger in scope and use custom textures. 

@bonnie, I might cut off submissions at some point, in which case the deadline would be for me to assemble the combined map. :) 

To clarify: everyone who wants to submit multiple sections should request that in a separate post. Wait a few days for that, at least, we'll see how the sign-ups go. 

Edited by rdwpa

I love this idea; I'll make an area if I can make the time. Won't claim any tag numbers yet tho. 

This is cool, because all I ever get is ideas for areas, and never ideas for complete maps. Might try my hand. I also won't claim a slot number though, since I'm pretty slow at mapping still and don't know if I can make anything worthwhile in 2 hours.

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

2 hours

you have two weeks though. If you end up doing lots of planning and maybe some experimenting upfront, you should be able to nail something in a short time span

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

you have two weeks though

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

You should work for no more than 120 minutes on a section, plus some time after that if you want for testing and tweaking.

EDIT: Saw your edit, @Nine Inch Heels, I see what you mean now. That should improve my chances... thanks!

Criminy, are 100 tags really necessary? Unless that's just the range available to the mapper. Definitely interested. This could scratch my ADD mapping itch. 

Yeah, it's just the range available. Using no tags is fine as well. Small areas with no tags can definitely have a good purpose. 

edit: I added "no Romero heads or boss spawners" to the list of restrictions. I don't think anyone would have went for that anyway, but just in case. :P No keens for now either.

Edited by rdwpa

I considered reserving many fewer tags cause I probably won't use that many, but uniformity is probably better :P

Is a cool idea!

900 - 999, i see what can I do...

Also, how the mapping progression works? Not on how the map is made, but more on who start, who's the next on line, who ends... It goes on precise selection (like numerically) or it goes totally free?

Sorry for the bad explanation...

Edited by Walter confetti

9 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Also, how the mapping progression works? Not on how the map is made, but more on who start, who's the next on line, who ends... It goes on precise selection (like numerically) or it goes totally free?

I'll decide it based on the submissions. Ideally it will end up a reasonably non-linear map, with numerous ways of reaching objectives and many orders that sections can be played in. 

I am intrigued.

1100-1199

I will try to do a map : 1300-1399 please.

Sounds interesting. I'll take 1600-1699.

Questions (I always seem to have them on these projects):

• Any restrictions on themes? Or are you okay with ending up with a mishmash of themes (e.g., start in a techbase that leads to hell that leads to a suburb that leads to a slime-filled maze that leads to etc., etc. etc.)?
  • Your stated goal is to have a nonlinear level that flows, not just a bunch of disjointed sections connected by teleporters. So, are you OK with teleporters within the section? I didn't see anything in the rules about them.
  • Any particular enemies that you're looking to avoid having in these maps? Again, nothing specifically called out in the rules, so I just want to make sure.
  • I suppose monster counts should be consistent with getting through the section in 10 minutes or so (I thought I remembered seeing a suggested amount of time for a section, but I couldn't find it)?
  • Do you want difficulty settings implemented?
  • Do you want deathmatch and co-op to be included? (I can see deathmatch ending up not making sense for this level, but co-op could.)
Edited by Pegleg : The rest of the bullets after the first.

I guess I'm done :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x06t75hgxnvjons/imd_benjo_v1.wad?dl=1

I wanted to make something that would spill into adjacent areas, and would force the player to retreat to adjacent areas, so it has a bunch of connections and isn't really playable on its own. The area depends upon having adjacent areas on all sides, and on the player really wanting the BFG. 

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Questions (I always seem to have them on these projects):

• Any restrictions on themes? Or are you okay with ending up with a mishmash of themes (e.g., start in a techbase that leads to hell that leads to a suburb that leads to a slime-filled maze that leads to etc., etc. etc.)?
  • Your stated goal is to have a nonlinear level that flows, not just a bunch of disjointed sections connected by teleporters. So, are you OK with teleporters within the section? I didn't see anything in the rules about them.
  • Any particular enemies that you're looking to avoid having in these maps? Again, nothing specifically called out in the rules, so I just want to make sure.
  • I suppose monster counts should be consistent with getting through the section in 10 minutes or so (I thought I remembered seeing a suggested amount of time for a section, but I couldn't find it)?
  • Do you want difficulty settings implemented?
  • Do you want deathmatch and co-op to be included? (I can see deathmatch ending up not making sense for this level, but co-op could.)

No restrictions. A mishmash will probably happen, and it'd be pretty interesting to see what it turns out like.  

Teleporters within a section are fine. 

Just the restricted ones -- Icon of Sin-related implements, and Commander Keens. The rest are fine, including Nazis. 

I'd rather not have lots of compartmentalized sections that shut the player in and then take ages to finish, whether because of incredibly long lock-in fights or very intricate puzzles. Three or so minutes of mandatory enclosure tops is a flexible limit that still allows a modest amount of comparmentalized content. Content that is staged as optional or avoidable can be more lengthy in the context of a completionist playthrough. Total HP can definitely be quite high -- within reason of course -- if the action can spill out of the section. 

Implementing difficulty settings is fine but not mandatory. That'll be smoothed out further after beta-release.

Deathmatch, no. Coop, no -- copy/pasting sections into the main map file seems to reset the multiplayer flags, which can lead to problems. I should mention that in the OP I guess. We'll sort out MP things via group feedback at the end.  

49 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

I guess I'm done :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x06t75hgxnvjons/imd_benjo_v1.wad?dl=1

I wanted to make something that would spill into adjacent areas, and would force the player to retreat to adjacent areas, so it has a bunch of connections and isn't really playable on its own. The area depends upon having adjacent areas on all sides, and on the player really wanting the BFG. 

Awesome. I love the use of wildcards here too. :) 

Edited by rdwpa