Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albatross

Mothership - single level for Eternity

Omg, is this the map with the flying saucer you posted in the picture thread?

Gotta play some time, need more eternity maps :D

12 minutes ago, Catpho said:

is this the map with the flying saucer you posted in the picture thread?

Yep.

4 minutes ago, Memfis said:

And there's also Khorus's WIP project for Strife with the same name... But I don't think all these wads will get confused with one another, they're all different.

2 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Purple <3

I'll give a try, even if I don't use eternity much. 

There are a couple more Eternity exclusives out there. Vaporware is a must play for sure.

If "Mothership" is already taken, then you could call it "Othership". :p

Wow.....the alien knowledge is strong in this one. Maybe I'll try this map

At first I was excited at the thought of an Eternity-exclusive wad but when I saw it was AA-inspired I thought "oh I'd better play it with Final Doomer" but then I realized what was wrong with that idea and I felt like all those obnoxious Brutal Doom fans who think anything incompatible with that mod is just broken. Don't get me wrong though I'm still looking forward to trying it.

Wow wow wow wow wow.

This looks amazing, I love the textures and shapes, it's a pretty damn believable and good looking ship.

25 minutes ago, Gez said:

If "Mothership" is already taken, then you could call it "Othership". :p

Ethership.

Authorship.

Watership Down.

Very cool map. The start is decently rough and it gets rougher as you go on, so I'm glad I played on HMP (not sure if skill settings are implemented or not - but as is, it was fairly tough)

Without spoiling anything, there were some instances where monsters were able to attack me or surprise from vectors that wouldn't be possible in a port without 3d features. Same with the way some rooms/progression develops. Good stuff.

This is probably just me being a headcase but there are some visual issues with the textures (particularly anything neon styled... the lights, monster tubes, alien glyphs, etc) that look wrong to me when not close to fullbright... For me, it'd look better if those textures were lit at 224 or greater, or at least glowing to that level.

Only other problem I had was I did spend a bit of time switch hunting - particularly when looking for the dark gray switches. Highlighting them a bit might help.

Thanks for the map!

I saw the wad and wanted to play it immediately... I'm very interested in Eternity mapping and the AA textures (obviously) appeal to me, so I couldn't resist. Especially when the screenshots are so appealing.

Sorry that we ended up half-way into March before 4.00.00, but I'm glad to see this is out. I cannot understate how much I enjoyed this map, and I feel it exemplifies just how good Eternity's capabilities are when put in the hands of a capable mapper. I'm still impressed. I never asked at the time, but is this your first mapping effort?

9 minutes ago, Altazimuth said:

Sorry that we ended up half-way into March before 4.00.00, 

No problem at all.

11 minutes ago, Altazimuth said:

I never asked at the time, but is this your first mapping effort?

No, I made a couple 3-5 map mini-episodes before (Tyrant and Charybdis). Those aren't really flashy or ambitious.

Yeah, the map looks awesome, I love symmetrical but progressively different designs, they look like a lot of engineering went on to make them. It's just the music which is not up to my taste :) but that doesn't matter.

The gameplay is very hard on ultra-violence with all the hitscanners and revenants making the area never safe.

Now I finally have a big map to use to tune the performance, thanks!

2 minutes ago, printz said:

It's just the music which is not up to my taste

Huh, but that's the best midi ever. I've always wanted to make a map worthy of it.

4 minutes ago, printz said:

The gameplay is very hard on ultra-violence

Yeah, it's at the upper limit of what I personally can handle.

Map could use more ammo and health, otherwise it's a lovely map. 

Some thoughts about eternity port:

Spoiler

Eternity is so slow compared with gzdoom and prboom+, I used to run fast and with eternity is hard to do that besides customising until it feels right. Also, I missed native laptop video mode(yeah that bad 1366x768 resolution) and more configurations for music(like it could use timidity or fluidsynth or let player to decide if he want use bassmidi(just example) with changeable soundfont to customise how music could sound for person. 

Great work! I played this on Hurt Me Plenty and it completely destroyed me, I had a lot of fun though :)

Those archviles in the final battle are so cruelly placed, I couldn't believe it when I figured out where they were hitting me from.

Exited with 69% health (nice)

There were a lot of moments where I was thinking "oh man if I had this weapon's counterpart in Final Doomer instead of the usual version it would be so helpful right now" but in the end that just made me more proud when I did beat it. More frustrating was the fact that portals and autoaim don't seem to mix so well. I wasted a lot of shells trying to hit the imps next to the blue key door, and then I barely had anything to handle the stealth aliens guarding the key itself. All in all, this was a worthy tribute to Ancient Aliens with a good understanding of what made people love the original so much.

Wow. Those archies in that final ambush are evil, got my ass handed to me. Anyway, this is an amazing map, go play it please please please. Good enough reason to download Eternity if you haven't before. Definite cacoward material.

@Albatross Review of the map:

• First of all, I'd call it Alien Fidget Spinnership....jk
  • It's a great looking map with some omg ufo spinning around the map. Although it starts fairly hard, surrounded by enemies of the nastiest kind. The initial secret for the rocket launcher helped me with some monsters in the middle of the fight, which I appreciated. Health and ammo has just enough amount to take care of the monsters and, sometimes, you'd have to rely on infighting.
  • After the big area which the cybie is in the middle of it, it gets HARD. A plasma gun as bait for a couple of cybies, 3 archies waiting for you at the second floor, those annoying invisible nazi replacement bastards, the flying robots with homing projectiles. I died a bunch of times thanks to those archies and the areas connected thanks to not paying attention to the turret cybie.
  • Talking about not being paying some attention....the player needs to be alert at ALL times, trying to not get hit.
  • OK, orange key area....Luckily, it wasn't hard, despite of the two traps setup against you. First, it was manageable to kill the mastermind with the nice cover provided in that area. Second trap, it was all infighting, not a single bullet shot until you have the remaining monsters at your disposal to kill it easily. After you clear the whole area and get some secret soulsphere, the last area is next....
  • Last area was really hard. Killed at first time when revealed, not so in the second try. I managed to killed all of them and found some spot where you can kill the cybies easily behind some obstacles but goddamn the archies.....Be sure to kill those annoying fuckers at once!!!. And guess what happen if you reveal the exit... even more archies will join to the party. Your RL is your good friend to dispatch them and end the insanity of the current area.

Overall, it was a hard map with nasty traps (and a lot of deaths) and conserving ammo and health is crucial to clear the map. I played it on UV and got 100% of the secrets, it was not hard to find them. The only thing that I want to say is, I'm not fond yet of the Eternity port because I'm not used to play in that port and it feels that I'm playing in slow motion or something. But that doesn't take all the fun that the map has. Good stuff, liked it for the challenge and how the map is presented. 

Thumbs up.

FDA if you're interested.

Surprisingly, the nastiest encounters turned out to be the ones at the beginning and the ending (I believe one AV attack was negated entirely by magic here). There's plenty of ammo, plenty of health pickups and just right amount of armor to keep going.

Hopefully this release may spark more interest in mapping for Eternity Engine.

Cool map, with a fun level of difficulty on UV. Big fan of the colour-themed sections and midi choice. Impressive visuals overall!

As @SiFi270 mentioned, autoaim was rather wonky when shooting at enemies above on the 3D floors. Performance did drop to around 30 for me, especially in the central room, but I guess that's to be expected.

Great work m8!

Maybe I need to improve portal autoaiming. Hopefully I find some easily reproducible spots.