Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matti

Event Horizon

Im just watching Event Horizon and it seems like it's
taken some things similar from Doom...?
Dimensional gates, Hell things coming and things like...
Whatta ya think?

I think most of the Event Horizon ideas were "borrowed" from a story by Stanislaw Lem (some 1337 science-fiction author).

I thought Event Horizon was a superb movie. Genuinely scary, and with very little to focus your fear on the fear factor was amplified (due to so much being imagined and personal).

Kind of like the feeling of Alien (not Aliens and beyond), but without even having the alien.

At the time I also thought it felt a lot like Doom, but without the fighting. A lot like I imagine things on the Phobos and Deimos bases must have gone for some of the people there.

It was an odd reaction in the cinema when it finished. I think most people enjoyed it, but when the credits started to roll there were a lot of people simply sitting in their seats with their mouths open.

A cool movie IMO.

boris said:

I think most of the Event Horizon ideas were "borrowed" from a story by Stanislaw Lem (some 1337 science-fiction author).

Yes, it's pretty much agreed that a lot of the plots or at least sub plots were based on "Solaris" by Lem. Although most fans of Lem would be quite happy to see the people who made Event Horizon put to a slow, painful death for what they did with it, apparently.

Tarin:
a story by Stanislaw Lem (some 1337 science-fiction author).

Lem is a genius! Solaris might even be better than 2001: a space odyssey! To compare shit like Event Horizon with such pure goodness is plain blasphemy in my book!

yup, whenever someone asks me "what's the doom story?"
I always ask, "have you seen Event Horizon?"

Movie rocked, though... gleefully disturbing.

This thread subject has been done to death many times before.

But yes, the movie was excellent and extremely remeniscent of Doom and Alien. Like 'House on Haunted Hill' in space.

Be nice if Paul Anderson gets to release his planned special edition DVD of Event Horizon, which he wants to have the original version on it (which is nearly half an hour longer than the final cut).

Heh, Event Horizon was an excellent movie. I had a similar reaction, my jaw was on the floor for a few minutes. I'd watch it again, but it's not shown on TV often. Ah well.

Hmm, when I registered I was probaply the only Finnish Doom player on the forums (active that is). At least I think so. Now there are more than just me. I don't know if it's good or bad though.

From Finland, the land of a thousand lakes, he said.

Now there's two Finnish players... :) Do you play at Doom Connector?
Btw, when the movie is ending, and the survivors are rescued, the door behind them, closes.
Does it mean that the hell things are back, or is it automatically closed?

m0l0t0v said:

Lem is a genius! Solaris might even be better than 2001: a space odyssey! To compare shit like Event Horizon with such pure goodness is plain blasphemy in my book!

Enjay said:

Although most fans of Lem would be quite happy to see the people who made Event Horizon put to a slow, painful death for what they did with it, apparently.

See :-)

LorD BaZTArD said:

Heh, Event Horizon was an excellent movie. I had a similar reaction, my jaw was on the floor for a few minutes. I'd watch it again, but it's not shown on TV often. Ah well.

I got it on da Video :) Teehee.

and i have some pictures of the video ( the one that shows people being cannibal) lol.....those pictures are reallly scary :)

Enjay said:

Although most fans of Lem would be quite happy to see the people who made Event Horizon put to a slow, painful death for what they did with it, apparently.

Or forced to hunt squamp during a whacker, perhaps.

Hmm, I must be the only guy who thought that movie was not good. Sure it was scary, sure it had good special FX, but I didn't like it.

Grazza said:

Or forced to hunt squamp during a whacker, perhaps.

Uh... you're making this slang up off the top of your head, right?

KoolKat:
Hmm, I must be the only guy who thought that movie was not good. Sure it was scary, sure it had good special FX, but I didn't like it.

I`m with you man (except for the scary part). All the way through the movie I kept thinking they you were actually going back to this 'Hell-world'. When I realized they weren`t; it spoiled the movie for me...

BTW
Has anyone here seen the movie Solaris? If so where did you get it? I`m not even sure it has been released in the West. The book is brilliant, but I haven`t been able to get a hold on the movie...

BTW2
YES Enjay; you were right!
:-)

Enjay said:

Yes, it's pretty much agreed that a lot of the plots or at least sub plots were based on "Solaris" by Lem. Although most fans of Lem would be quite happy to see the people who made Event Horizon put to a slow, painful death for what they did with it, apparently.

I haven't read that author, but when I saw Event Horizon, I added three movies up and came up with it again in my head:

Black Hole
Alien
Hellraiser
------------
Event Horizon

AFAIK it has nothing to do with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - unless Lem's work was quoted in it, which I don't recall being the case. I just mentioned that because the link was to a HGTTG site, so people might have assumed squamp hunting was a Douglas Adams idea.

BTW, the 14th Voyage was first published in 1957.