Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@DooM_RO Yeah, I don't want to post a review of only 1/3 of the maps, so I will if I do the others. And I probably will. It just takes me some time to get to longer maps because it's actually easier for me to block out three or four 30-minute sessions for videos than even one hour-long session. Just the nature of my duties and distractions in life. So if longer maps start to become the majority of my requests, I may have to start doing Part 1/Part 2 videos or something in order to keep up.

On 27.2.2018 at 2:39 PM, HAK3180 said:

@94's the best style

Forum Topic

(I think I've figured out good volume settings, so hopefully this will be my last video with almost inaudible commentary.)

There are some good ideas and decent fights in here, but overall the map is all over the place. It's pretty confusing, but not in a good puzzle way. It's rarely clear where you are supposed to be heading/what your objective is. The different areas do not really complement each other. Most of them are not designed all that badly, but they just don't come together to make one cohesive map. They seem to be simply separate spaces connected by doors. I also struggled mightily because I rarely had enough ammo.

There were some nice touches here and there though, like some of the switch actions, a few design details, being able to come back into the start room from way later in the map through another route. The bottom line is I would have enjoyed this much more with way more ammo and some more direction. 

Heh, for some reason this video just refused to play on school computer's chrome, but worked on its IE. Anyways, to my only facepalming moment (to you anyway, I deserved to get my own ire for leaving the one permastuck behind the rising building, though the blood bridge could be used to call down it.) was around 15:52 when you looked at the crusher that was meant to squish the archies and complained about lack of ammo. I honestly didn't count for people being stubborn enough to fight fair against that many of them, as what I intended to happen was that player would see the archviles, then turn around and notice the open door into the area with a crusher that would make quick work of the evil healers. I suppose that I could put something like a key to the crusher activator area and lock the archie hallway door, to hopefully make people find the crusher before they savelock themselves into low ammo run. 

All in all, a nice playthrough, and practically everything else you said was worthwhile criticisms of the sheer leaps in logic this map required to progress.

@94's the best style It's best to consider what the player could do/might do rather than just what the player should do. Yes, I did notice the crusher later. But that area was dark. There was no way to know on a first playthrough that there was an easier way to kill the arch-viles. It was basically just 50-50. If you went left you got to the crusher switch first. But I went right. Plus, even if I do that, I only save 200 bullets and 20 shells (since I missed a lot). What if I had wasted ammo on the hell knights right at the beginning? What if I had tried to kill the hell knights in the blue/silver room toward the beginning? What if I hadn't punched the very first arch-vile? What if I had killed those two revenants and those imps near the archie situation? What if I want to kill that first Spider Mastermind? Or that Cyberdemon? Or those revenants and imps I rushed past? I just don't think that one area should take all the blame for my low ammo run.

I recently made a map for the vinesauce doom mapping contest. I never released it, but if I can get some more opinions on it from someone other than my one friend that plays doom, it would be much appreciated.

I used Quake 4 textures (first time I've ever used custom textures that I converted myself, so it's a bit sloppy, but doesn't look too bad imo).

The map takes me roughly 10 minutes, but it's a bit back tracky, so it could take anywhere from 15-20 minutes.

The soundtrack is by me, although I didn't get to finish it in time for the contest, so expect it to get a bit repetitive after a while.

Here's the download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gv7exec56wk6b2q/SigmaWasteFacility.wad

Mainly just looking for some constructive criticism.

edit: I've only tested it in gzdoom.

Edited by PepsiBepsi

Hey, it looks like I ended up making my map for the vinesauce contest after all. I know you liked my last map Hell Complex, I'd appreciate it if you could give this one a spin and tell me what you think! 

Source Port: GZdoom

Jumping/Crouching: No

Freelook: yes

Difficulty: It's moderately difficulty, I always play on HMP, there are no difficulty levels.

Length: On a first run, I would say at least 20 minutes. It takes me around 10 minutes.

Demonsden.zip

It's called The Demon's Den, If you find the time to play it, I'd love to hear any feedback, good or bad. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@PepsiBepsi

Jumping and crouching are not required. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. 

Oh, some other things I forgot to mention:

Freelook is not required, but it'll make the level significantly easier. 

Difficulty: not all that challenging. I tested it on UV without much trouble

Iwad is doom 2

Edited by PepsiBepsi

@PepsiBepsi Yes, I suppose that's true. But I don't really distinguish between swimming upward/"jumping" out of water and actual jumping. I shoot, strafe, and use - that's it. I don't even bind anything else most of the time.

But I did a video up to the water point, which I believe was most of the map.

It's a good tech base map with lots of Knee Deep in the Dead reminiscent combat. It looks good and plays good, even with some backtracking.

I failed miserably at the five switch part. The entire 14-17 minutes is me sucking.

23 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@PepsiBepsi Yes, I suppose that's true. But I don't really distinguish between swimming upward/"jumping" out of water and actual jumping. I shoot, strafe, and use - that's it. I don't even bind anything else most of the time.

But I did a video up to the water point, which I believe was most of the map.

It's a good tech base map with lots of Knee Deep in the Dead reminiscent combat. It looks good and plays good, even with some backtracking.

I failed miserably at the five switch part. The entire 14-17 minutes is me sucking.

I appreciate the feedback. I was going for a Knee deep in the dead feel, so it's good to hear that I accomplished that. 

With the switches, the 5th switch is the one that lowers the key, but I should've put some sort of hint in. I wasn't sure how to do that without making it too obvious though lol.

And yeah, after the water part, there's not many new and exciting things except for some higher level enemies, so you didn't miss much. The spectres were an accident, but I kept them in to add a bit more of a challenge, but they are irritating in that part lol. Thanks for playing!

Edited by PepsiBepsi

@Jthom

I found "at least 20 minutes" to be quite an understatement. Even if I had never died or gotten lost or stopped to comment, this would have still been closer to 45 minutes. 

But in any case, here's the video

It's big and nonlinear in many places. The structure has some areas that are too symmetric because even the monsters follow the same pattern on both sides. It can also be a little underdetailed in places, especially the tech base parts, but overall the layout and flow are pretty good. The combat is in spurts. Most of it is fairly easy, but there are a few brutal encounters, such as the pain elemental slime run and some of the arch-vile situations. Overall it's pretty fun and pretty well made. I think Jthom will become a great mapper - you can see the potential and still have a lot of fun, despite some tendencies that expose a bit of inexperience.

Lastly, I did not notice the switch at 15 minutes, so I wander around from about 53-1:01 and ultimately use iddt to find where the remaining keys are.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:33 AM, HAK3180 said:

@RaphaelMode

https://youtu.be/6CRnf8JVS8w

Idgames download page

View the forum topic

Lots of custom monsters is not really my thing, though I did find most of them interesting. Unfortunately, I was rather annoyed by the ghost enemy and the final boss.

The map itself is decent enough - a bit simple, but it's a nice concept with lots of customization and interesting gameplay. 

Thank you for the good playthrough! Some miscellaneous thoughts:

• It was somewhat poetic to see you enter the hub map, walk directly towards my map and look right at it (but without approaching close enough for the name and author to show up), but then decide that you don't actually know how it looks, and IDCLEV.
  • I'm glad you liked my very custom textures balancing out the geometrical lack of detail! I'm also glad you found the Spongebob graffiti amusing, even though I don't expect anyone would understand the deep maening behind it, considering my unhelpful omission of any basic information with regards to what GJUNX is.
  • Indeed, all the former hitscanners now come with three variations each! I wasn't sure how accurate I should make them, so I craeted randomly spawned variations with different speed, haelth and accuracy.
  • When you got stuck in the bookshelf room, you just happened to press every single wall besides the one that would let you out and give you a secret item on top of that. Oh well!
  • Intrusive Thoughts are perfectly possible to kill, but being visible primarily by the trail they leave behind makes it easy for the player to aim behind them instaed of where they are at the moment. One can get used to that but more training would certainly be helpful.

Thanks again for playing, I'm glad you liked some of the custom enemies after all!

19 hours ago, RaphaelMode said:
  • It was somewhat poetic to see you enter the hub map, walk directly towards my map and look right at it (but without approaching close enough for the name and author to show up), but then decide that you don't actually know how it looks, and IDCLEV.
  • Intrusive Thoughts are perfectly possible to kill, but being visible primarily by the trail they leave behind makes it easy for the player to aim behind them instaed of where they are at the moment. One can get used to that but more training would certainly be helpful.

Yeah, how about that? I just wandered around and was looking for the numbers. I didn't know the map name would be visible if I got closer.

Okay, I wasn't 100% sold on them not being killable. That would make that lest section and boss battle a lot more fun.

@DooM_RO

Doomworld download page

Just a pretty standard Map 30 affair with not a lot of texture variety but some nice little touches. Despite the somewhat underwhelming visuals, it's a pretty fun play. It's not frustratingly difficult, but you won't likely beat it on your first attempt. 

@HAK3180

I have to admit, I was really running out of gas after these two maps. I had that giant IOS castle that was just lying around and thought it would make an interesting boss setpiece battle. 

What about map 29? That is where the meat is.

@DooM_RO

Yes, I'll get to it, but I wanted to give myself at least 90 minutes (based on my preliminary glance of the monster count), so that'll be a Thursday or Friday project.

@xdarkmasterx

This map lacks a cohesive visual theme. There's a lot of tech, but there are some very strange abstract areas. Some of it is done pretty well, some not so much. But for a second map, not horrible visually.

The combat, however, is well done. The fights are engaging. They're tough but fair (with the possible exception of the opening).

hi somepony thank u four the video of map, first i make response to some Commentary in video:

1- the detail in much rooms was higher, like generator room and final battle, however, created a "Visplane error" in vanilla if observed from certain angles, in order to preserve much detail was retracted from level

2- hallway with ASHWALL meant to convey hallway has collapsed from damage, again it was to prevent occurance of visplane error, which would happen to look from the next room into the previous, so again change would be made

3- the "abstract area" is meant to be in hell, form the corruption ;), unfortunately, created the skybox was much trouble because it was created in paint using the paintbrush only, resulting the flat look, afterwards i use in paint.net the transparent tool to create more easily the depth and more detailed sky can be performed

4- i didnt expected anyone to do that in the first fight omg XD, next time i remember to put a crusher in that room as well ;)

any way, greetings, nice video ;)

@DooM_RO

Doomworld download page

Another really long map, this time with a hellish theme. The layout is well done. You basically have two long paths to complete which end with you being able to take the final path. It's possible that going right first rather than left is easier, since I found there to be much more ammo than my first failed attempt having gone left. But I also switched to I'm Too Young to Die. So maybe it's some combination of I played better + there was more ammo + the ammo was doubled. In any case, the layout was great. Lots of interconnected areas where you if you kill some distant enemies early, it saves you some trouble later. The areas were distinct enough that even in a huge map, you knew pretty well where you were or where you were going. Switches were usually obvious enough. The one time I got significantly lost was because I had been playing so long and just forgot about the yellow and blue switches right at the beginning of the map. I'm not a stellar player, but I did find this to be very hard on Hurt Me Plenty, primarily because of the aforementioned ammo deprivation, but you may fare much better. 

The map looked pretty nice most of the time. I will say it felt a little bit like a newcomer trying to get every concept into one huge map, except it was done pretty well. So you have a library, some marble areas, outdoor areas, more abstract hellish areas, etc. But it tends not to look like one concept poorly juxtaposed to another.

The only real issues I had with the combat were a few situations with very long distance former commandos that bordered on unfair. Overall, good stuff.  

Bottom line: If you have the time, play this wad. It's not really superb in any area, but it is at least average in every area and good-very good in most.

@Jaska

View the forum topic

This is the new Map 01. I think the main path suffered perhaps a little bit from lack of distinguishing features/landmarks. I also have mixed feelings about the use of secret keys. And lastly, I don't know what it is for sure, but I think there's a better way to block the player than just an invisible impassable wall that really looks like it ought to be passable.

But that's all the nitpicking I can do. As usual, the visuals are outstanding. This map is a little more linear than some of the others in the wad but still has plenty of exploring to do. Combat is solid throughout, though this is probably one of the easier ones (Map 01, after all).

Bottom line: I wish Jaska would make maps faster. Like one per day would be preferable...

Thanks for the feedback.

-I changed some of the rockets to easy skill only. Put al lot of rockets because I found it kind of fun to blast down enemies down the cliffs with them. But there was too much of them obviously.

-Strange how I didn't notice how monotonous texturing was until you mentioned. Changing that a bit.

-Invisible blocking walls.. That has been a problem with no good solution for some time.  I'll maybe add fence everywhere else but water.

-Optional paths with secret keys are not implemented the best way but didn't figure out a better way..

-Changed layout as it was supposed to be - you can't skip half of the map by dropping into water and teleporting up.  Changed some teleport destinations to so you don't teleport further to map, where you haven't been. Water could also be damaging slime or something so dropping down wouldn't be encouraged. But that would change the mood of the map.

-It's a bit harder on UV. But I've already made it a little harder on that..

-I'm suffering from a some kind of mapping block so my mapping is even slower than normal, heh.

@xdarkmasterx

View the forum topic

I swear I've played much better maps by this mapper, but this is bad. It shows a little creativity and is not unbeatably broken, but that's where the positives end. It looks terrible, with the exception of the start room, and the gameplay is just poorly done gimmicks all the way through. One of the lowlights is a damaging floor maze that is just liquid floor with sky textures all around (so it's almost like it's 2d). No radiation suits, no health, no automap help, no monsters, no safe floors. 

Bottom line: Do not play this map but do not write off this mapper because of this one.

Edited by HAK3180 : Typo

@bonnie

Download the .wad

I first played this on Hurt Me Plenty but got to a point where I was just screwed, due to some combination of not being very good and a very tight ammo situation. So I played it with a double ammo patch on Ultra-Violence and found it much more enjoyable.

It looks pretty good. The sewer aspect is done pretty well, even though it can be a little bare. The office space is also pretty cool with lots of little details. The outdoor areas are also a little bare with pretty much one texture, but overall the look is simple, not simplistic. There are some non-stock textures too.

Gameplay is fun. The tough battles are definitely fair and even the easier combat is not boring. There are a few confusing flow situations, but I tended to get lucky and find the right path without too much difficulty.

Bottom line: There's not a ton to say. In many ways it's paradigmatic Doom and that's a good thing. Give it a go and guard your ammo with your life (or use a double ammo patch like I did). 

@xdarkmasterx

I'm noticing a trend with this mapper: challenging combat that is usually pretty well done (though sometimes bordering on unfair) and poor visuals. This map starts in a room with three doors, three of which are accessible and lead to the three keys. Each path has different challenges and they seem like they would work decently well in any order. Then you return to the final door for a couple more big fights and the exit. The general flow/design works. The areas are connected to one another and are all very different.

But the map just does not look good. The geometry is random when it should be structured. There is no theme. Too many textures are overused - massive areas all in the same texture with no detailing at all. And I was no fan of the very odd use of huge doors that really serve as rooms.

Bottom line: Pretty good fights, pretty bad visuals.

3 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

From a quick glance, you've got several Ultras, a few different Latin names...but no mention of sets/episodes. Are these all standalones, then?

Yes, with the exception of Maps of Chaos (which are heavily edited IWAD maps). You can play Stoned through Maledictio one after the other since I meant to make a full 8 maps but never did so back then.