Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Doomworld Forum Community DM Maps!!

I have an idea. You may have seen the earlier post I did about it but here I go in some detail. Follow me here, this could be REALLY cool and EVERYONE can help. =)

What the fuck is this crap?
One person makes a map. Once a month. Once they have the basic layout for said map they say so here and ask for ideas. Everyone gets to contribute to the map so said map has been touched by everyone on the forum who gives a damn.

What kind of map?
Deathmatch, ZDoom specifically. I'm choosing ZDoom because of ZDaemon... the most reliable Internet-Play capable source port around. It's based off of ZDoom, so using as many ZDoom features as possible just makes the map sweeter.

Size, shape, and design is completely up to the mapper. One on one arena? Go for it. Four on four brawl? Have a blast. It's up to you, after all, you're the fucker making the level.

What kind of suggestions?
Well, after you have your level ready to go (don't jump the gun), come here and make a thread about it. Give it a decent thread subject, let people know that it will be "Doomworld Forum Deathmatch #238234" and not "My Ass Hurts".

So you have your map and someone suggests, "Make the soundtrack {url=?}THIS{/url} mod/midi/mp3", or, "Put THIS picture up on the wall somewhere, or, "Give it a wooden theme", or, "Put in a big pool of slime that you can't escape from". Do it. That's the point. Everyone gets to contribute.

Suggestion suggestions.
Use _____ music
Use _____ picture as extra art somewhere
Use _____ texture
Use _____ theme
Use _____ design (if possible, nothing extravagant)
Use _____ sky
Use _____ sound effect replacement
Use _____ bex patch to change weapons (doomscript soon)
DO NOT use _____ weapon (bfg hatas?)
DO NOT use _____ texture (startan hatas?)
DO NOT use _____ powerup (megasphere hatas?)

Final Rites:
This is given to the person that the author of the map chooses. Be kind, let interested people ask if they want to do it before you dump it on them.

Basically, this is, after you have everything implemented, hand the level to someone else so they can touch it up, add detail, fix any errors, yadda yadda yadda.

So I make a level, add everything you guys want in, then hand it off to a badass mapper like, say, oh, I dunno, Stphrz, and he can make everything look smoother for me. If he volunteers to do it and is willing.

However, this is VOLUNTARY on both ends. If you don't want anyone touching it that's cool, you did just about all of the work.

Set some rules though. Final Rites does NOT give the touch-up artist the right to completely change anything in the map or remove any of the requested details. It's basically a rest for the main mapper... the Final Rites person gets to:
A. Make sure it's 100% bug free.
B. Correct any fucked up textures.
C. Make any artistic changes they want (so long as they don't b0rk anything).

Putting a huge pool of deep water in the main killing zone would be a major change and that would at the least require permission from the original author. However, adding another forty linedefs to a structure to just make it look better is well within acceptable changes. =)

Why would anyone want to do this? It has Doomworld's name on it so you want it to look good, don't you? Plus, you get to practice your map tuning without going to the trouble of actually making a map.

If you do it, please, keep a backup of the original. Don't delete the email. =)

Unless otherwise specific by the author, you will have 12 hours to complete your modifications and return the map. If this is failed the author will have the right to upload it WITHOUT your changes. If you're doing some really complex shit, zoomed in to the max and moving linedefs by 1 and you'll need another 2 hours, just ask. I'm sure you'll get it. =)

I'll say it again, Final Rites is 100% voluntary. I think it could really make these maps look cooler though. =)

Rules:
Just about any suggestions are cool; we are talking about a deathmatch level here.

Don't suggest pr0n. That's retarded. Bare ass counts. Thongs are nice. Titties are okay too, but if a female Doomer requests NO titties then there will be NO titties.

We're shooting each other anyway, they'd just be a decoy. ^_^

If you suggest a custom picture provide a link to it. I'm sure we all want to see a map with Lüt's face with cooking utensils on it in the middle of a killing spree. =P

Also, if you're nice, you could hand the picture to someone who has edited Doom textures before and then hand it to the level author if they don't have Photoshop/PSP.

If you suggest a song, provide it. If MP3, the MAXIMUM QUALITY LIMIT is 22khz, mono, 40kbps. Lame can encode these easily. This is less than 1/4th CD quality, file space IS A CONCERN. Also, no songs over 7 minutes in length unless I say so since this is my idea. I really would love Ina Godda Da Vida but that 10 minute organ solo just has to go. =(

Conficting suggestions will go on a case by case basis. Someone wants a new rap song in there and everyone else doesn't, then the song doesn't go in. Try to suggest things that haven't already been suggested, being first for the map will get your idea in front of similar ones.

If you want to volunteer to do the Final Rites, for God's sake SAY SO so the author will know this.

Don't say your map is ready to go and ready for idea submissions when it has no texturing other than the default ones and is only half completed. You'll cause trouble this way.

That's basically it. I'll start work on the first map for this idea (leading by example, aren't I sweet?) this weekend. The map is simple, probably best for four players, and shouldn't take me more than 5 hours to slam together.

When I'm ready I'll post a thread and ask for your suggestions. If any moderators or stealth killas (*cough*, Arioch, King Ling) would remove retarted suggestions (IE, I WANT A BIG FLAMING DILDO GUN THAT SHOOTS CIGARETTES AT PEOPLE) that would help the cause.

This will probably only go on for my map and that's it, I realize that. Anyone can do this. There can be a bunch of these if mappers want to contribute, FEEL FREE. If we have enough of them and we keep doing them Ling will probably make a little page (in four months =P) for them. We can be famous.

The text file that comes with the map should also list the suggested ideas and who suggested them. Simple, needs be I can write all the text files (I just set up me the bomb).

So yeah, here's the idea. Simple in concept, aside from my sadly needed gibbering about stupidity. Only you can make it work.

Oh, and Mac, if you want a coffee gun MAKE IT. =) Just color the baron's blasts brown and use them for plasma rifle sprites... hahahaha. =)

That's it. Now you can think up some ideas. Reply to the concept freely here and discuss any ideas or questions you might have. Do NOT post ideas here, they will not be counted... ideas may only be posted in the appropriate thread (which does not exist because I haven't made the level yet).

If a mapper who has more free time then me (IE, alla ya fuckas) wants to go ahead of me feel free. =)

Sounds like a great idea, but of course, if the replies that follow these one don't suggest the same thing you'll have some problems. :)

Good luck with this one. Ling barely gathers some guys for the weekly speedmapping.

Speedmapping requires a LOT of mappers. This only requires one and some people to bark out ideas. Everyone has SOMETHING they always wanted to see in a DM map, now they can get it. Plus DM mappers get practice making them. Plus experienced mappers get to refine their skills/show off.

Win/win, and involvement is easier this way. =)

*Sorry Cop, this was intended for Zaldron. As for your idea, we'll see, for right now I'm sticking with Doomworld.com.

Well thank you very fucking much. You just upped the 4 hour ETA to 4 weeks. Jesus. I'm new to this. Give me a little fucking slack willya? Christ on ice.

Do you want me to map you a cup of Latte while I'm at it???

Ok. This is way to dangerous, I'll shutup now.

Still, I want emphasis in the shotguns. You know, climbing those stairs until WOAH! someone appears from the opposite side. Accidentally blowing the fuck out of him because of a spasm in the hand would be interesting to watch.

I want a bunch of little ü's floating around whose dots can turn into eyes and stare you to death, unless you can bend it into a straight line fast enough.

Cool idea.

Be sure that the Plasma Rifle has an established presence in the map.

Also, a few "secret" sectors (not literally secret) that could be accessed through limited exploring that overlook some of the main battle areas would be cool. It would provide a place for cowards to hide and occasionally pick off the participants of a firefight or act as vultures in order to "clean up the leftovers".

The Plasma Rifle always has a powerful presence in all of my maps, and I had a really interesting idea on adding player spawns that could keep things... fast paced.

I was hoping for some ideas on this whole idea from you people. You like it? Hate it? Answer me, bastards!!!

Sounds great to me. I'd like to do some Photoshop-work for textures 'n stuff. This could be great, that is, if everybody's willing to help a bit. This could really be the start of something great.

This mapping thingie sounds like a good idea. What about creating a "deadnail's mapping forum"? =)

OK, disregarding the fact that ZDoom won't work decently on my pc, this is a cool idea. I'd be happy to come up with ideas or even dig up my copy of WADED and whip up a few rooms. Or textures, if you guys want them - though I'm sure someone like Zaldron could do them better.

Now here's my first suggestion, to Linguica: ENABLE THAT DAMN [IMG] UBB CODE !!! It would be so much more practical to have people posting screenshots of their stuff, illustrating their suggestions etc. C'mon, at least give it a shot - I'm sure noone will be stupid enough to post gay pr0n or other offensive pictures. Consider it an experiment.

An experiment of trust for the users. We could always link to screenshots, they have to be online for them to show up anyway.

But yeah, if you have something you want to contribute feel free. A texture you threw together, a picture of your favorite dog, a picture of you beating your little brother's ass, a half-done weapon animation that you want people to see so you can get feedback on it, a really cool room you made that you want to see if the author is willing to tack it onto his map (depends on the author, some may not be willing to make that kind of a change), anything that you really want to see in a DM map go ahead and ask for.

And then a badass wad pimp like Maonth could take it for a few hours and just TRIPLE the linedef count, haha, and make it look a helluva lot better. =)

And then a badass wad pimp like Maonth could take it for a few hours and just TRIPLE the linedef count, haha, and make it look a helluva lot better. =)

WHAT YOU SAY?? A badass wimp?

Now here's my first suggestion, to Linguica: ENABLE THAT DAMN [IMG] UBB CODE !!! It would be so much more practical to have people posting screenshots of their stuff, illustrating their suggestions etc. C'mon, at least give it a shot - I'm sure noone will be stupid enough to post gay pr0n or other offensive pictures. Consider it an experiment.

NO

Ummh, mind telling us the whole story about that time when users abused from the privilege?
I remember searching in the old forum, looking for that specific moment in the archives, but it was gone.

In fact, I remember there was a time when [IMG] DID woked, Johnny Kaos showed us a sample on how to do that work. It stoped working like one day after that.

NO

When he did before, a certain individual (coughreolcough) posted a load of links to pictures from rotten.com. Suffice to say said individual was banned and images were turned off permanently.

Besides, if you enable images you'd inevitably end up with people posting millions of huge images and slowing down everyones connections, and people with animated gifs of crap like dancing cyberdemons in their signatures or something. I'm with Ling on this one, images should stay off.

Another idea that just occured to me in my head would be to have a few crushing ceilings at moments in the map where a pursuit or two would most likely take place, and then either the fugitive could be crushed or he'd make it and the chaser would be crushed or would have to give up the chase. It's something that I haven't seen in a deathmatch map before.

Haha, NEVER!!

You can just link to pictures like this. It keeps the threads way cleaner and less clutter, and you don't get the image displayed like 8 times in a row by idiots doing this:

----------------------------------

/quote
Wow, awesome

/quote

Oh man!

/quote
Sweet dude!

/quote
You guys rule!

/me keeps bumping this to the top...

If everyone (including Linguica) thinks this is a good idea, shouldnt' it get its own seperate forum somewhere ? It would only clutter up this one.

Another forum? Why don't bring back from the dead places like Source Ports and rename it? :)

Another idea that just occured to me in my head would be to have a few crushing ceilings at moments in the map where a pursuit or two would most likely take place, and then either the fugitive could be crushed or he'd make it and the chaser would be crushed or would have to give up the chase. It's something that I haven't seen in a deathmatch map before.

Hmm, a DM map with crushers? Well... that certainly is interesting. I wouldn't mind trying that. It wouldn't fit in my map, though... but just by suggesting it people who want to be in here might make a map right away with crushers in it and credit you.

Does anyone else have anything they want to see in a DM map? Just so you know, the map I have in my head is kind of a 4 player hunting grounds. It has a building with a big outdoor area with (assuming I can get them to behave) lots of slopes and ledges... nothing too extreme, but it should make for some really fiendish chases. I'll try to start building it soon, remember, all of this is preliminary... I'm just testing the water to see if any of you fishies will bite.

I also have a wicked ass idea to put billboard like pictures in that would make good rocket shields.

If everyone (including Linguica) thinks this is a good idea, shouldnt' it get its own seperate forum somewhere ?

Multiplayer?

Yeah, FID=9 (The Clans Forum) was never truly deleted. It just gives you a "The Clans forum is no longer active" message.

Yeah, Arch, push it a little more...sooner of later it'll explode ;)

Yeah, FID=9 (The Clans Forum) was never truly deleted. It just gives you a "The Clans forum is no longer active" message.

Yeah, Arch, push it a little more...sooner of later it'll explode ;)

Ling actually announced that one...

Now now, I don't actually expect this to go on long enough to the point of us needing or own complete and whole forum... and even then, it would still require a post in the general forum to basically say, "Hey guys, a new level is happening, get your ass over the the right forum!"

It would be a waste of time and effort on Ling's part.

The cool thing is that when ZDoom supports Hexen we could do Hexen maps..... heheheheh.

Okay okay, this thing is just about dead so I'm going to bump it this once just to be sure everyone who gives a damn has seen it. God, 3 or 4 fucking people... SHEESH. Looks like this idea doesn't appeal to anyone. If you like it fucking SAY SO you quiet bastards!!!

And make at least a part of it with contrasting lighting!!! Like those corridors in map04(i think):Focus.

Oh, and no trees in outdoor areas pls.

Wait, is someone actually doing it?