Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oddball Wizard

Any Heretic/Hexen fans here?

Hello. I just registered here on Doomworld forums. I've been playing , Hexen and other Doom engine games for years, but I strated playing modern user content only a short time ago.

It's like finding gold after a years of prospecting. I knew that people still make wads for all these games, but I sticked only to official expansions like Plutonia, Final Doom and other ones. I guess that's because I was more of a Duke Nukem 3D, or Build Engine games fan all the time, but once I discovered realm667 site and Icarus's youtube videos I just can't stop playing these new mods. 

However, when playing old games powered by Id's engine, I've always preferred Hexen and Heretic over Doom. Is there any Heretic or Hexen fans around here? Or all fans of Doom Engine games is like mixed all together?   

Edited by Oddball Wizard : Forum issue solved

heya! doomworld folks have created a small but wonderful amount of Heretic maps and mods, some show up in the yearly awards! Hexen is something I'd like to map for personally, being a game I really prefer to Doom for its atmosphere and all its extra decorations and sounds, but the tools we have are noticeably geared towards Doom modding and imho it seems far more fiddly to get to grips with all the extra Hexen features. Strife even more so!

Yeah, obviously Doom have more wads, with Heretic, Hexen, Strife and others just trailing far behind. I just finished Heretic Treasure Chest and right now I'm exporing the depths of H!Zone, which have some really good maps (despite the crappy nature of such compilations).

I have the idea of launching a non-commentary youtube channel which will be dedicated to Hexen and Heretic. Am I allowed to post non-Doom videos on this forum? As long as it's Doom engine-related?

I am Hexen/Heretic fan

I am actually more than just a fan

I am a mapper and author of some wads like Fucking Hexen

Now working on new project.

Edited by Matthias : missing word

I lean more towards Hexen than Heretic, I also didn't like Heretic 2 nor did I care for the extra episodes for Heretic 1. I still have yet to finish Hexen 2 though. I really want to play a co-op game of either Hexen games at some point.

Edited by Avoozl

Heyo, and welcome, the new 7th fan of Heretic.

Sooner or later we will reach 10 members and have some nice gargoyle feast. Doomguys are not welcome, only Elfboys.

Ive played of heretic e1 once.

Havent finished ever sinec, but considering to go back after seeing some awesome maps, also i like the concept.

I liked Heretic, but I loved HeXen. Admittedly, I needed a walk-through guide to help me navigate some of the puzzles. But the hub structure and atmosphere immediately drew me in. Even though I have never created mods for HeXen, I have created several mods for DooM that use the hub structure.

Heretic and Hexen are both great games apart from the bits of them that make them bad

Just now, Jimmy said:

... apart from the bits of them that make them bad

Honestly, when I played them all those many years ago I don't really recall any bits that were bad. Of course, FPS games were the new and exciting thing, and it didn't matter in which form they were offered to me. Hence, I probably overlooked the bad bits.

I didn't play them as much as Doom, but I've always liked both. Maybe some day I'll actually make the Hexen stuff I've been dreaming up in my head for years.

I've never played Brutal Hexen, but I hope it has a "shove centaur's shield up his arse" finishing move.

Heretic was really cool, though I'm not sure if I wanna play the bonus episodes in Shadow of the Serpent Riders. Right now I'm playing through Hexen, which so far is also really cool.

Just now, ReX said:

I liked Heretic, but I loved HeXen. Admittedly, I needed a walk-through guide to help me navigate some of the puzzles. But the hub structure and atmosphere immediately drew me in. Even though I have never created mods for HeXen, I have created several mods for DooM that use the hub structure.

Yeah, the only thing I didn't like in Hexen is puzzles, all these secret places that you need to visit and that cruical to progression. Heretic's maps is more straightforward.

Killer games. I like to play through the first 3 episodes of Heretic sometimes but never bothered to finish Hexen, abandoning my playthrough in the 3rd episode despite many replays. The artwork of both the games are the best which remind me of a typical Japanese arcade game from the early 90s. Maybe it's the badass monster design and the generally gritty theme mixed with colorful effects. I have a single pwad for Heretic in works which only needs bug fixing and better pacing.

Me.
I've underestimated Heretic until I made community map for it. Also I'm not only heretic mapper, but also speedmapper.

Heretic it's like younger brother of Doom.

3 hours ago, Oddball Wizard said:

Yeah, obviously Doom have more wads, with Heretic, Hexen, Strife and others just trailing far behind. I just finished Heretic Treasure Chest and right now I'm exporing the depths of H!Zone, which have some really good maps (despite the crappy nature of such compilations).

If you're looking for the best fan-made stuff for both games:

Heretic

Elf Gets Pissed

Icebound

Curse of D'Sparil

Realm of Parthoris

Hymn

Templum Dormiens Dei

History of Fruit

(also there's this (tooting my own horn, sorry), which came out just a couple of days ago)

Hexen

Shadows of Cronos

Curse of the Lost Gods

Heretic is incredible. The only thing I don't like about it is the BFG replacement.

Hexen is great but not as good as Heretic. I don't care much for the hub style of mapping, and the puzzles aren't very interesting or meaningfully connected in any way. The combat can also be a little slow in certain parts. Still, it's amazingly well detailed and has one of the very best weapons in any first-person shooter (Wraithverge). I didn't find anything about it confusing and never once got lost, but there were a couple of instances when I got locked out of the game due to bugs and had to resort to noclipping. 

I'm about a third of the way through Hexen 2 at the moment. I think it's just alright. I guess my main issue is that the combat just isn't very good. Like, it doesn't flow or feel very good somehow. It's kind of jerky and random, and something about it is just off.  

Random question for those in the know. Are there any Hexen WADs that don't utilize the HUB format, but rather the standard mapping format? I don't recall ever any hearing of any.

Edited by Ajora

14 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Random question for those in the know. Are there any Hexen WADs that don't utilize the HUB format, but rather the standard mapping format? I don't recall ever any hearing of any.

I believe there have been two or three that had linear level progression, though the only one I can put a name to off the top of my head was Krull which wasn't very good.

I'd rather play a great Heretic or Hexen mapset than a Doom one any day. Heretic and Hexen is what brought me to Doomworld. I find that Heretic is actually easier to map for than Hexen even with the Zdoom format. Though Hexen has a great amount of textures, over 600 of them, it is harder to figure out how to use them properly without messing up the map architecture. Hexen textures are only limited to a small amount of themes while Heretic's small texture count of less than 200 textures can be used in a variety of themes and ways. It is much easier to create something with a lot of detail with Heretic than it is with Hexen.

@Not Jabba You missed a few great wads. There is a few that I forgot too.

For Heretic:

Heretic Treasure Chest

Ye Olde Smudge Wad

The Sewers of D'Sparil

Hoards of Chaos X

For Hexen:

Hub of Pain

Dreadnaught and Knockabout

Hexen: Scourge of Viscerus

Ressurection of Chaos

@Ajora Well most Hexen wads in the archive don't use the hub format but most of them are not good anyways.

Edited by Halfblind

Her/Hex are offering fantastic atmosphere and architecture.Heretic's morph ovum is one of the funniest multiplayer power ups ever:
You're a weak chicken, but you can fly (hmm, sort of...) and reach locations, which are unaccessible in normal shape.
And HeXen:DEATHKINGS is simply unbelievable complicated :-) .
I Love both games, but DOOM is better, simply because Doom's weapon balance is best of all games
ever and that is the most important think for long time replay value.

Doom's neighbors? They alright.

Lulz aside Hexen was my first true foray into FPS and is in my top 10. Beautiful, dark, haunting Gothic fantasy atmosphere with one of the best soundtracks ever composed.

BTW there's also this too for Heretic.