Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Nostalgic for the 90s

Does anyone play Doom and get nostalgic for the late 90s? I'm talking days of TRL, South Park, and PointCast.

It feels like 20 years ago was just yesterday, but the Internet/Web feels less of a Wild West Bazaar and more of corporate Madison Avenue.

I love playing all sorts of random Wads and reliving the 90s. It was a solid time in gaming and culture.

The best time for videogames, I agree about that, I guess only people from that time can relate to this. Being born with a SNES is another story than having a Xbox one as a kid for instance lol.

Nope. Not at all. Apparently I still live in the 90s listening to Nu Metal. Playing SNES games. Tough to be nostalgic for something I've been wrapped up in for 20 years.

TRL was on a long time. South Park and the Simpsons are still on.

Now I'm gonna go play the Chaos Engine, a game that I beat like 25 years ago... but now its on Steam. Zero nostalgia.

19 hours ago, princetontiger said:

Does anyone play Doom and get nostalgic for the late 90s? I'm talking days of TRL, South Park, and PointCast.

It feels like 20 years ago was just yesterday

Definitely agree about the 20yrs part, I feel the same, back when I was a small kid... easier, simpler and better times... it's almost like it was yesterday, how quickly and drastically things changed.

Despite this, no, I'm not nostalgic at all, I'm playing old games because I like them more than what's done nowadays overall. Besides, being stuck with a potato PC for a decade until finally getting rid of it and thus also limited to oldies on it, yeah, hard to be nostalgic for something you've spent years playing, and in some cases still doing.

16 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Being born with a SNES is another story than having a Xbox one as a kid for instance lol.

Indeed it is, growing up with NES games myself. I've never owned any other console and never really felt the need to, except for when system requirements started becoming more and more of a pain in the ass. I actually wanted an Xbox at some point solely for this reason, but never been interested in exclusives for instance.

14 hours ago, geo said:

Apparently I still live in the 90s listening to Nu Metal

Or classics from metal genres I love the most in my case. Since finding quality stuff nowadays is much more difficult than 20-30yrs ago when the scene did not suffer from overexposure and in consequence also an oversaturation of releases (many of which are terribad copycats) I end up sticking to albums I love from the '80-'90s on a lot of occasions.

Whenever I think of the late 90s I think of Sega Dreamcast. I was so looking forward to that, and it basically delivered, in my opinion, despite dying an earlier death than Sega fans would have liked and being the last Sega console...

I played a lot of Sega in the 90s and didn't really warm up to Sony and Nintendo until after the death of the Dreamcast. I had a lot of fun playing Sega Saturn as well.

The 90's did bring us some great innovations in game design and sent us light years ahead of where we used to be in terms of graphics, architecture and gameplay. Games like Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Heretic 2 defined new genera's and sub-genera's while Heretic, Quake 2 and Drakan: OTF improved upon those genera considerably. Newer games owe in part their existence to games crafted from the 90's.

In my opinion the 80's and 90's had the best music and I continue discovering more great songs from that era. I loved bands like Def Leppard, Pat Benatar, Sarah McLaughlin, Enigma and many, many more.

In those 2 decades the Lego piece variety expanded exponentially and was home to some of the greatest Lego themes ever created. Between Blacktron, Spyrius, Space Police, Pirate and Adventures it contained some of the best Lego themes ever.

In the same year as Doom there was Power Rangers which had some of the best seasons by far. I liked season 1, Turbo, In Space and later Lost Galaxy. These had some of the best megazords in all of power rangers history. I liked the Dino, Turbo and Astro megazords. The Torozord and Stratoforce Megazord were also very cool.

On a personal note the 90's were more simple, there was less stress and life was just easier back then. The food was healthier, tasted better, the soils were not as depleted of nutrients and there was less GMO foods. You did not have to worry so much about what you are putting in your mouth. The 90's were just so much easier.

9 hours ago, Halfblind said:

On a personal note the 90's were more simple, there was less stress and life was just easier back then. The food was healthier, tasted better, the soils were not as depleted of nutrients and there was less GMO foods. You did not have to worry so much about what you are putting in your mouth. The 90's were just so much easier.

Unironic "everything was better when I was 12"-ism and anti-GMO? Good God. 

9 hours ago, Halfblind said:

orenthal-james-simpson-9484729-1-402.jpg

lead_960.jpg?1493405606

oj-simpson-in-jail.jpg?auto=compress&cro

^ In a few decades todays youngsters will say "Ahh the 2010s/20s where so much simpler~"
Think about that for a second.

I'm 14, but i started playing doom, just last year, and i have been having fun with the game ever since.

Um... I was born in 1998, so I kind of missed the '90s, but I am deeply nostalgic for a lot of things from the '80s and '90s.

12 minutes ago, SOSU said:

^ In a few decades todays youngsters will say "Ahh the 2010s/20s where so much simple~"

Shuddering.gif.55eca956f88497877f830f19b355c285.gif

If you said something similar to my parents during the early '90s or my grandparents in the '70s, I guarantee they'd have the same reaction.

I was 11 when Doom released and I played it starting in 95...I DO NAHT get nostalgic for the 90s when playing it.  It's held up well on it's own and doesn't need all the 90s baggage to come back with it.

I'm nostalgic for the good things that came with every decade and don't miss the bullshit that came with every decade.

Let's be real here: The 90's were good, but we also had boy bands

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I'm nostalgic for the good things that came with every decade and don't miss the bullshit that came with every decade.

There was some good music...some good movies...and Doom.  There was also a bunch of garbage, lol.  Not that the '00s and '10s have been much better.

5 hours ago, SOSU said:

^ In a few decades todays youngsters will say "Ahh the 2010s/20s where so much simpler~"

Not just youngsters. Either way, honestly I don't think it's always unjustified, I think it also depends on how one's life changes with time. If I am to look back at the early 2010s for instance I'd say they were better times for me as well, much better than the present...

1 minute ago, Agent6 said:

If I am to look back at the early 2010s for instance I'd say they were better times for me as well, much better than the present...

Life is a downward spiral :(

5 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

If you said something similar to my parents during the early '90s or my grandparents in the '70s, I guarantee they'd have the same reaction.

History repeats itself.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Most of whom I'd take any day over the vast majority of top 40s pop music that is constantly being churned out and almost instantly forgotten. The 90s were a pretty mixed bag when it came to pop music, but it's lightyears better than what we have now.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said: