Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Afterlife?

Do you think in the afterlife as a spirit, that you would be able to go wherever you want to, in another world. Like you pass from this world to heaven which is exactly like it, minus the weapons, war, pollution, hate, racism, discrimination, fat chicks, George Bush, overpopulation, etc. However travelling at light speed is possible, and you could visit ANYWHERE you wanted to? I've always wanted to visit the void that is space. So what about you? Do you think that it could be possible, or do you think you'll just sleep forever staring at blackness. Also what else do you think is possible, or what you've wanted to do...

Well, I plan to merge with a super computer and use the internet to become as god, aka Deus Ex. to the after life doesn’t bother me...

Err, should my plan fail, then I just sit back and watch humankinds goings on, make bets with other dead people as to where humans will go next... hunt houses for kicks, that kind of thing.

I think that the idea you have is the most common idea. But I think there's much more to it than that. Barring reincarnation or the "Atheist" view (I hope it's neither), I think that the afterlife will be inconceivably different in ways that you cannot imagine.

We are prevented from being happy, only by the offset of a few microliters of chemical in a certain lobe of our brain. We could be able to have freedom, but not just the freedom to explore at light speed and observe. Again, those desires are human desires and there's no reason to believe that the afterlife holds us to human limits.

Without the prison that is the human brain, there's no reason why we would ever have to get bored of something, or desire challenges, or be stupid and lack the nowadays very uncommon thing known as common sense. There's no reason why the afterlife should be limited to things that we can imagine now. It could be better in ways that are nonexistent to our minds now.

However, no human knows what the afterlife is and no human ever will. It is, and will always be, mankind's #1 mystery.

Nature wastes no souls... Therefor I think reincarnation is very possible, although I'm not quite convinced of it. To be honest, I don't know what to expect at the end of that tunnel... if it even is a tunnel...

Reincarnation is a horrible idea. It is impossible both physically and logically.

There's a classic problem in philosophy, which asks "what is it like for a human to be a bat?". Imagine that you were able to be a bat for a day, what would it be like? The truth is that it is impossible. You can't be a bat. What defines you and your consciousness wouldn't apply if you were a bat. The bat you had supposedly turned into would be a bat and not you. You wouldn't be. The same thing would apply when moving from one human to another. Our minds are based on relation of concepts which would be different in any systems that weren't identical.

Here's something on the subject, I think.

Also, the concept is like I said physically impossible. What makes up our minds are operations on sets of information in our brains. When we die, this information ceases to have any function. There is of course no way that information could magically fly from one body to another. The chances that this would 'just occur' are about the same that the moon will suddenly turn into a cow.

Your only hope is believing in supernatural divine intervention - a completely ridiculous idea which is commonly used by less intelligent or less educated humans to explain events they don't understand.

The way you describe it would suggest that reincarnated beings can remember their past life. What defines you and your consciousness is in essence the information stored in our brain. When you die, this brain and all of it's content will die with you. To determine wether reincarnation is even thinkable, you'd have to prove wether or not there is something like a 'soul' and what this soul has at all to do with who you are and what you've learned. If the soul and one's experience have nothing to do with eachother, then I think reincarnation could be very possible. However, experience in one's past life means dick in one's current life, like taking out a battery from a clock and place it in a remote controlled car. Even though it's exactly the same battery, the car will never tell you the time.

pritch said:

Faith is all about being asked to believe in something you know is untrue.

I've said it once and I'll say it again ;-)
No religion can exist without this principal:

You weren't there

I believe in reincarnation; i also believe in the idea that demons exist and are responsible for many of the 'poltergeist'-type hauntings throughout the world.

Spike said:

I believe in reincarnation; i also believe in the idea that demons exist and are responsible for many of the 'poltergeist'-type hauntings throughout the world.

I believe you are crazy. :)