Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Trooper

Most favorite level from Episode 3

What is your most favorite level in Inferno and why? I happen to like "Hell Keep" because I love the open concept with the inferno sky and how the top of the pentagram floats above the ground and is outside but in an enclosed space. I think of this pentagram as more of a gateway to hell rather then just another exit. Not to go off topic, but something about it also reminds me of the one in Phobos Anomaly? 

A toss up between e3m6 and e3m7. e3m6 is the city map that started it all, and e3m7 is just so magical with its low monster count and puzzle-like progression. I simply can't choose one.

Mt. Erebus is what I remember the most and like it with House of Pain as a close second. 

BUT......all of you forgot this!!!

e3m2.gif.4751bed7db1b1430e57f562c672731bc.gif

For me, it's a toss-up between E3M5, E3M6, and E3M7. I know that E3M5 (Unholy Cathedral) doesn't get much love, but the architecture and level design more than make up for the disorientation caused by the multiple teleporters.

E3M5. The architecture just sells it. I also like E3M7 for it's teleport maze. I remember beating it for the first time 20 years ago - that was absolutely fantastic.

I'd say E3M6 is the most objectively well-designed. All of the other E3 maps have questionable design choices that are glaring enough to make them unenjoyable for me.

Mt. Erebus is the peek of Inferno's greatness, otherwise I also find myself really enjoying the creepy atmosphere of Limbo.

1 hour ago, silentzorah said:

E3M9.  It's a great idea I've only ever seen in a PWAD one other time.

Which PWAD was that? I don't seem to recall.

Also OP, E3M2, E3M6, and E3M7 are fantastic levels.

Just now, SGS Man said:

Which PWAD was that? I don't seem to recall.

That would be Enjay Doom.

All of the levels are my favourites, except for E3M1, which is awful. But my most favourite is of course Mt Erebus. I still have the distant memory of playing it for the first time and thinking "this map is not like the others."

Every level from episode 3 is pretty good, except Dis. But if I have to pick only one, my vote goes to Mt. Erebus.

E3M9 For sure... 

When first i enter the map im feel like 'WTF? Back to e3m1?!' but when i reached the final room , its a cyberdemon boss fight! And added some tricks n trap there.

That's going to be Limbo for me.

It's no easy choice honestly since the entire Inferno is awesome (except you-know-what), but out of all maps I liked this one the most, primarily due to the atmosphere. Many people seem to have enjoyed Mt Erebus the most, well, I didn't like it so much to count it among my favorites honestly.

I like Erebus a lot, I've always loved open maps like the Factory and Dead Zone as well, but in Episode 3 Limbo is probably my favourite. I like the flow of the map and I was always satisfied to max Limbo, including using the rad suits to minimise damage ahead of the exit to the final battle.

13 hours ago, silentzorah said:

E3M9.  It's a great idea I've only ever seen in a PWAD one other time.

No end in sight also done it brilliantly imo (E2M9 in the wad).

E3M7: Limbo. It has great atmosphere, nice architecture and puzzles to solve. It also uses its opposition in quite a challenging way even if the count is low. Probably one of the best looking maps in Doom.

Tough choice indeed... E3M3 it is today. I dig the whole episode, well maybe except map 2 which is a little uneventful compared to the others.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, leodoom85 said:

Mt. Erebus is what I remember the most and like it with House of Pain as a close second. 

BUT......all of you forgot this!!!

e3m2.gif.4751bed7db1b1430e57f562c672731bc.gif

I really like this one too! It's sort of like a crater with caves?

Edited by Doom Trooper

E3M2 has a really bad reputation and I see where a lot of it comes from, but I think I like the basic concept of it. sort of openish cliffs level with a cool enough texture scheme in my eyes at least. I don't think it plays particularly well but I think it could be something better.

My favorite is probably E3M6 though. It also has a good texturing theme and nice exploration.

I hadn't given it much thought, but... I don't know which is my favorite. I like E3M1, E3M2, E3M3, E3M7 and E3M9 (unpopular opinion here, I don't like E3M6 at all).

If I choose one by concept alone, E3M9 wins of course.

When I played Doom at the first time, my favourite EP3 levels was E3M2 and E3M5 for the thematics: a swamp and a "cathedral". Today I prefer,

E3M3- hell-base mix complex.

E3M6- all is said in this thread: first open village, on a lava island.

E3M7- that oppresive idea: you are lost in a damage blood maze, you don't know where to go exactly, I think that concept represents what hell is.