Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Here's a response to the original thread owner, it both answers his question and his effort.

l2RuY6i.png

I'm curious to know what happened to lead to this thread? Did someone claim to have made a map with 100K things? Or have 100K viewers on a stream? I imagine the post got deleted due to massive trolling, but I'm just wondering what happened.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I'm curious to know what happened to lead to this thread? Did someone claim to have made a map with 100K things? Or have 100K viewers on a stream? I imagine the post got deleted due to massive trolling, but I'm just wondering what happened.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100000-100k/

Hey BSauce!
SOSU here.

Yeah congrats on the 100K :)

Edited by SOSU

18 hours ago, Linguica said:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100000-100k/

Frikkin' circular reference! Heh.

Thread 99,999, posted Tuesday at 10:16am:

Thread 100,001, posted Tueday at 2:02pm:

And this thread was posted yesterday (Friday) at 6:15pm? I call shenanigans.

5 minutes ago, fraggle said:

And this thread was posted yesterday (Friday) at 6:15pm? I call shenanigans.

By Linguica? NEVER!

I believe this was the real thread 100000. I confess I had looked for it out of curiosity a few days ago (before this one was created) after seeing a link to a different six-figure thread. I also note that, if left open, it constantly notifies you of having new replies, and duplicates its existing ones if the popup is clicked. Without a doubt, something strange is going on there.

In this crazy topsy turvy world we live in now, who's to say what it means to be thread #100000, exactly? Like, it's the number in the URL, right? If a thread has threadid 100000, then it is obviously the thread that is associated with the id of 100000. And what if this thread here came by that number in an unconventional way? They're all just numbers in a database, right? Well, numbers change. Sometimes they might get moved around. People don't care where the numbers come from, just what they are today. And today, this is the thread with threadid 100000.

"Hello Linguica

I hope you are well.

We have noticed the long url lifepan and high traffic of your digital interactive entertainment forum. We too love the topic of video games.

I have a great opportunity for you. We believe our client products of "bitcoin exhange" and "digital cameras" will match your audience needs"

33 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

imagine being an admin and shitposting on your own forum !

Well, that's why most people want to be forum admins when they grow up. Those guys can do whatever they want....right?

Would this be some of that fake news I keep hearing about these days?

I really don't understand the internet any more. The sweet spot was when I joined this forum, late 2001. I've been saying for ten years that Facebook peaked in 2007, visually and, given my age now, relevancy / content wise, too.

And as for Doom, that increasingly feels like a childhood blanky that I need to throw myself under at times.

1 minute ago, pritch said:

Would this be some of that fake news I keep hearing about these days?

I really don't understand the internet any more. The sweet spot was when I joined this forum, late 2001. I've been saying for ten years that Facebook peaked in 2007, visually and, given my age now, relevancy / content wise, too.

And as for Doom, that increasingly feels like a childhood blanky that I need to throw myself under at times.

Omg, Pritch you are back from ur vacation?

Hi there :)

3 hours ago, Maes said:

Well, that's why most people want to be forum admins when they grow up. Those guys can do whatever they want....right?

Not necessary. ;)

7 hours ago, Maes said:

I doubt you would find many banning themselves, if that's what you're implying.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I doubt you would find many banning themselves, if that's what you're implying.

More like being immune from being banned and calling the shots themselves, if I have to spell it out. Same reason many want to be cops, really. Even though in real life, a cop and other authority figures will be -for the most part- answerable to a superintendent of sorts. Internet forums OTOH tend to be run more like many little independent dictatorships, benevolent or otherwise.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

[This is an on topic post, unfortunately.]

4 hours ago, Maes said:

More like being immune from being banned and calling the shots themselves, if I have to spell it out. Same reason many want to be cops, really. Even though in real life, a cop and other authority figures will be -for the most part- answerable to a superintendent of sorts. Internet forums OTOH tend to be run more like many little independent dictatorships, benevolent or otherwise.

How did this thread devolve/evolve into an intellectual discussion about authority?

4 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

How did this thread devolve/evolve into an intellectual discussion about authority?

This being Doomworld, we're lucky it didn't go the way of gun control or something. Which is linked to authority, if you think about it...

14 hours ago, Maes said:

I find this fun actually :P