Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

It's funny how things become a lot more squat once transposed in Doom. The teleport pads and the lamp columns  both got thicc, and the command pulpit got short and stout.

Of course the proportions could be made to look more like the movie set, but given the Doomguy's width and his waist-level eyes, it probably wouldn't look right anyway in-game.

17 hours ago, Gez said:

It's funny how things become a lot more squat once transposed in Doom. The teleport pads and the lamp columns  both got thicc, and the command pulpit got short and stout.

Of course the proportions could be made to look more like the movie set, but given the Doomguy's width and his waist-level eyes, it probably wouldn't look right anyway in-game.

Doom proportions are different from reality... and this is not reality, but a set in a movie or tv show: it is already distorted through the lens of the camera in many ways.

But it is still fun and I think I will keep building my private klingon vessel.

51 minutes ago, Catpho said:

You'll never guess who made this...

fxbHKn9.png

(its not mine btw)

Linguica, i guess?

1 hour ago, ChaingunnerX said:

Linguica, i guess?

Yep, it's 'Whoremonger' from Gothic 99.

TMoD 3 Plug time number two. :D

TMOD3I.png.96779c40fb16189b5afe35ae4b6fb364.png

TMOD3H.png.307cd719a93cd7027fcd2de56e07b278.png

TMOD3G.png.88951ed0f10d46f887352d6dfd5fb333.png

Also since I decided to make this mod linear, the previous pictures I uploaded to the previous part... those levels aren't deleted but rather in Limbo. If people want me to I could implement them but then I'd have to edit them to not make them too linear.

The characters so far:

Spoiler

This gif is just a quick preview of the characters you will be playing as. Dynamite Peter and Sapphire all return but what's this? you can play as TNT? O_O And who is this adorable irish kitty cat? Chrysalla?

TMOD3A.gif.b90fae7c5a66989b36aa3b2dc0597aa7.gif

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn : SPOILERZ

Okay, so I had some free time to sit and remake some video thumbnails last night.  I think this will be my new standard:

- Take a screenshot of a memorable area with no monsters

- Place enemy sprites on the field to create a fake action scene

- Merge layers, oil paint filter, posterize filter

- add M_DOOM title from wad and channel logo

A few of these don't fit that exact formula but I can't make every thumb exactly the same, lol.

These are all for video/streaming series' I already have uploaded, I have a few more for upcoming series I need to sit down and do, so expect another post like this in a few days.

Doom64forDoom2.jpg

tn base.jpg

mm2.jpg

btsx1.jpg

plutonia.jpg

mm1.jpg

moc1.jpg

tnt.jpg

moc2.jpg

d64r.jpg

Edited by guitardz : Spelling and double screenshot

I think action scenes look a bit incomplete without some fireballs flying. I like them otherwise. I think such pictures are a lot more effective than shots with no monsters or anything. A map looks good only if the fights look good.

My advice for your action scenes: use in-game monsters (you can summon some more if you want) and use the freeze command. Perhaps bind a key to freeze so that you can quickly stop and start while still moving around. That way, monsters will look more like they are in the scene (the Plutonia and TNT screen look kinda fake for that), respecting their sectors' light levels and such, and you'll get more flying projectiles around.

I agree with others, pics would be best with either no monsters or with those present in the map already, though for me it's mostly because what makes me want to play or watch something is how it looks and how it plays, of which the second point will be misrepresented through a doctored photo. 

In addition to what Gez mentioned though, I'd also suggest recording a demo while searching for the perfect screenie, so that you can take the screenie during demo playback and focus just on getting a good shot, with the ability to retake it if your timing is off :)

@Memfis @Gez @Fonze Thanks, guys.  I didn't know about the freeze command.  Here is a good question.  In Skyrim there is a console command 'tfc 1' (toggle free camera, and the 1 freezes the action) it basically let's you move the camera freely while your player character stays where they are.  You can use it to get good action screenshots from any angle with your character on screen.  Is there anything like that in GZDoom?  That would be the perfect way to get good shots.

I think I'll keep this set of thumbs as is and use these suggestions for later ones.  (These were a lot more work than they look like, lol)

On 3/25/2018 at 3:47 AM, Zanieon said:

These are from my last 2 mapping streams:

Very cool. What port/engine in that running on?

36 minutes ago, guitardz said:

@Memfis @Gez @Fonze Thanks, guys.  I didn't know about the freeze command.  Here is a good question.  In Skyrim there is a console command 'tfc 1' (toggle free camera, and the 1 freezes the action) it basically let's you move the camera freely while your player character stays where they are.  You can use it to get good action screenshots from any angle with your character on screen.  Is there anything like that in GZDoom?  That would be the perfect way to get good shots.

I think I'll keep this set of thumbs as is and use these suggestions for later ones.  (These were a lot more work than they look like, lol)

To my knowledge your best bet would be to bind the freeze command and (I kinda hate to say this part, but...) not hit wasd while moving the mouse. 

There is a chasecam in (g)zdoom, but the player sptite will always be facing away so unless your number 1 fan is Maes you may not like that option.

That all said, zandronum might actually have what you need; idk if it's only for mp or not tho. If you record a demo in zandronum, such as during a dm, during playback you can enter spectator view, as well as switch views between players. Spectator view would let you get action shots with your character in-view, and you could then even download a skin pack to differentiate the player sprite based on your current weapon for extra screenie goodness.

One drawback of this, though, is idk if zandronum will let you slow down a demo, so it may sux finding the place for the screenie and having to figure out where to arrange the camera, then having to time it well. Zand does have a skipsec command though so you can somewhat quickly navigate to the time that your screenie will take place.

8 hours ago, guitardz said:

Here is a good question.  In Skyrim there is a console command 'tfc 1' (toggle free camera, and the 1 freezes the action) it basically let's you move the camera freely while your player character stays where they are.  You can use it to get good action screenshots from any angle with your character on screen.  Is there anything like that in GZDoom?  That would be the perfect way to get good shots.

This can be done in GZDoom with several console commands:

• freeze
  • noclip2 - allows you to move through walls and fly.
  • summon doomplayer - summons doomguy (if you need him in the picture). One limitation is that he well always look in the same direction.
  • take pistol; take fist - to remove weapons from inventory so they don't obstruct the view. If you use weapon mods, you will need to "take" other weapons.
  • r_drawplayersprites false - hides weapon (Suggestion by Gez).

With these commands, you can make pictures like this:

xJlGf6vl.png

Edited by m8f : added suggestion to hide weapon from Gez.

Thanks for the tips guys, I tried getting some first person shots with the freeze command for some test thumbs.  My main issue with this is getting monsters where I want them on screen.  I will look into demorecording and see what I can do with it later.

aa.jpg

btsx2.jpg

jpcp.jpg

valiant.jpg

EDIT: It would also be helpful to know where some of the more memorable areas are in these particular wads: BTSX2, JPCP, and Valiant, as I haven't played them yet (The MAP18 pyramid in AA is staying, I love it, lol.)

4 hours ago, guitardz said:

EDIT: It would also be helpful to know where some of the more memorable areas are in these particular wads: BTSX2, JPCP, and Valiant, as I haven't played them yet (The MAP18 pyramid in AA is staying, I love it, lol.)

you won't be able to find many vistas in map 29 of JPCP that AREN'T memorable

in terms of creative layouts it's a masterpiece

15 minutes ago, yakfak said:

you won't be able to find many vistas in map 29 of JPCP that AREN'T memorable

in terms of creative layouts it's a masterpiece

Thanks, someone else told me to check out MAP31 of Valiant and the final map of BTSX2 (couldn't remember how many maps there are, 20 something)

6 hours ago, m8f said:
  • take pistol; take fist - to remove weapons from inventory so they don't obstruct the view. If you use weapon mods, you will need to "take" other weapons.

Nah, toggle r_drawplayersprites is where it's at.

2 minutes ago, Memfis said:

by Dant3

"pic"

Oooo, its that a cacodemon lantern i see there? I NEED IT

Who Dant3 btw?

11 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Very cool. What port/engine in that running on?

It is GZDoom, well i'm more of a GZDoom mapper afterall, so expect all my stuff being for it.

Screenshot_Hacx_20180328_073158.png.d8f8eac9dae73bb447517acef6f9fe3e.png

Screenshot_Hacx_20180328_073339.png.988cddc61a8356f4f72674ea1183f9b7.png

Cyberspace sure is weird... I kinda like it!

Hacx: Twitch N' Kill MAP05 & MAP10