Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

9 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

"pics"

Heh, my memories are fuzzy with Hacx, but these sure stand out after all this time.

I don't know, I thought it was part of d2ino map08, but it is not.

O8AvD4S.png

Jesus Christ, how are you guys so fucking epic at map-making!? I can barely create a functioning door!

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Jesus Christ, how are you guys so fucking epic at map-making!? I can barely create a functioning door!

years and years of effort - A disgusting amount of hours pumped into the same single hobby. :P

59 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Of course, in reality some of the stuff on these pictures took weeks to create,

This definitely applies to me. Level 2 is currently 52500 linedefs5abcb2a6627e8_MAP02at2018_03.2922-31-46.337R2787.jpg.b52a6c234610932537d8fb50c4a84bec.jpg

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

This thread is like the Instagram of Doomworld. People come here, see carefully selected carefully positioned screenshots of some of the most successful levels, and think that this is what a typical day for a mapper looks like. Of course, in reality some of the stuff on these pictures took weeks to create, and there is a really simple and boring room right next to the one displayed, and in general the map has a lot of problems, the author is extremely tired of working on it and is on the verge of quitting, but of course that's not mentioned.

But...

1 minute ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

This definitely applies to me. Level 2 is currently 52500 linedefs5abcb2a6627e8_MAP02at2018_03.2922-31-46.337R2787.jpg.b52a6c234610932537d8fb50c4a84bec.jpg

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

This thread is like the Instagram of Doomworld. People come here, see carefully selected carefully positioned screenshots of some of the most successful levels, and think that this is what a typical day for a mapper looks like. Of course, in reality some of the stuff on these pictures took weeks to create, and there is a really simple and boring room right next to the one displayed, and in general the map has a lot of problems, the author is extremely tired of working on it and is on the verge of quitting, but of course that's not mentioned.

Lmao ok.

Honestly though I dont agree with the cynicism displayed there. This thread is fantastic for mappers and players alike - it's a hype generation tool, it's a motivation tool, it's an idea / inspiration source, it's a way to meet new mappers and connect with the players, etc. What's wrong with a little bit of enthusiasm for one's own project? Getting responses like "wow awesome shot!", or a handful of likes etc is a huge motivator for myself and I'm sure it's the same for many other mappers posting here. :)

On 3/24/2018 at 1:58 AM, dobu gabu maru said:

Some more pics from my weird map. Really trying to straddle the line between "experimental" and "downright obnoxious"

aWERooP.jpg

Y1LKWM5.jpg

lHiUxOg.jpg

WOAH its like being lost in the bamboo forest all over again...(even though it never happened a 1st time)

I love to see the pics posted here. They might indeed be "the best part" of a map or else, but on other hand this is what taking a good screenshot is about. Also, there's really a lot of criativity and hard-working here. Some stuff I wouldn't even dream about making it lol

I just post screenshots to keep myself motivated and feel better about my work. 

5 hours ago, Memfis said:

You are so comprehensible and incomprehensible at the same time! How can someone do that :P

@RjY, @cyan0s1s and @Tango: its resurgence map21 if you dont know. I picked it precisely because the theme is so darn common, so it would be hard to guess. I think that @Joshy  is pickin up some tricks from his pal darkwave ;) (where is he btw?)

I think there is a better thread for creators who want to show off their works in progress and receive encouragement. I think it would be better if this thread were just for impressive, amusing, or otherwise remarkable screenshots from the poster's games, humorous captions and/or edits thereof, pictures from other sources that remind the poster of Doom in some way (e.g. real life photos, architecture etc.), and so on. Alternatively if creators like to post their WIP screenshots here I think it would be better if the thread in W&M were closed and participants redirected to this one. The point is to reduce redundancy and not have two different threads for the same thing.

Anyway I made some cinemagraphs.

mQCTGZr.gif

(The Deimos Incident, ep2dein.wad, E2M3)

RaMhznP.gif

(CrossFire, kaiser_22.wad)

yjKn33e.gif

(Unholy Realms, ur_final.wad, map14)

No cynicism intended. It's a known effect that people often feel like losers when they use Instagram a lot and see these people with incredible bodies taking the most attractive poses all the time. I'm just saying that the same can happen to mappers who follow this thread if they forget that this is just an artificial selection of best of the best. So they shouldn't feel too bad if their output isn't on par with what they see here.

13 minutes ago, RjY said:

I think there is a better thread for creators who want to show off their works in progress and receive encouragement. I think it would be better if this thread were just for impressive, amusing, or otherwise remarkable screenshots from the poster's games, humorous captions and/or edits thereof, pictures from other sources that remind the poster of Doom in some way (e.g. real life photos, architecture etc.), and so on. Alternatively if creators like to post their WIP screenshots here I think it would be better if the thread in W&M were closed and participants redirected to this one. The point is to reduce redundancy and not have two different threads for the same thing.

But first post says otherwise - The topic is simple: if you have any interesting pictures of Doom simply post it here. You may post picture of wads in progress if you wish. 

Also, this thread has more visibility than other one thread. 

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

No cynicism intended.

I actually agree with your commentary on the screenshot artifice—but it's definitely not something unique to our community, as every facet of yourself that you present to the world is curated and restrained in some way (well, typically). Instagram too can be a good tool for emotional support and can make people feel better about themselves, so it's a somewhat apt comparison. Like Dragonfly, I see this less as a hollow attempt to cultivate likes in a meaningless void and more of a hype machine, where you're excited for your own work and you share it to invoke a fraction of that excitement in others. Speaking of,

8 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Screenshot_Doom_20180320_215915.png.a959a19c8abe591b2854a9a59a8f6e5b.png

<3 this structure. One of my favorite things to see are uniquely designed platforms for keys, weapons, armor, etc.

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

No cynicism intended. It's a known effect that people often feel like losers when they use Instagram a lot and see these people with incredible bodies taking the most attractive poses all the time. I'm just saying that the same can happen to mappers who follow this thread if they forget that this is just an artificial selection of best of the best. So they shouldn't feel too bad if their output isn't on par with what they see here.

All I see on Instagram is videogame content...I follow the right accounts, lol.

2 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I actually agree with your commentary on the screenshot artifice—but it's definitely not something unique to our community, as every facet of yourself that you present to the world is curated and restrained in some way (well, typically). Instagram too can be a good tool for emotional support and can make people feel better about themselves, so it's a somewhat apt comparison. Like Dragonfly, I see this less as a hollow attempt to cultivate likes in a meaningless void and more of a hype machine, where you're excited for your own work and you share it to invoke a fraction of that excitement in others. Speaking of,

<3 this structure. One of my favorite things to see are uniquely designed platforms for keys, weapons, armor, etc.

Cheers. This is a very ambitious project (full 32 levels is the end goal) and positive feedback definitely helps to keep me working on it.

I've got a dedicated thread for the project now

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I've got a dedicated thread for the project now

Nice, I've seen that in the Wads n Mods section.  Time to hit the follow button.

8 minutes ago, guitardz said:

Nice, I've seen that in the Wads n Mods section.  Time to hit the follow button.

Much appreciated