Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_ so_ good

How to sell my modification Freedoom ?

Hi

I downloaded   Freedoom: Phase 1+2    and   GZDoom engine from  site freedoom.github.io/download. And  I want to make games for sale (as steam).

Question: Can I sell my games ?

I'm looking for a free game engine with sprite game resources (such as enemies, weapons, first aid kits) like games Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Blood. Of course to sell my games.

I'm very sorry.

Freedoom is liberally licensed under the BSD license - all that is required is that you include a short copyright statement that credits the Freedoom project.

I can't ask a question on the official website.

It is legal to sell Freedoom and with an engine like GZDoom since it is under the GPL V3 license, although being right to sell Freedoom is probably a no unless you have the talent (and team) to make a completely new game that can also provide an incentive for people to buy said game. That incentive would have to be more than just new levels or sprites, it would need to give a reason for people to think about checking out the game, especially if your modification could have easily been a PWAD for free.

You should be fine, a simple text file included in the game directory is suffice. I don't see any potential issues as long as you don't neglect to credit them.

6 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

@fraggle You were involved in Freedoom, right? Thought I should ping ya for this guy.

Involved? He founded the project. :P

Yes, but you don't need it. There are more elegant ways to power up the GZDoom engine to run your game, like making the engine recognize your pwad as an iwad.
Or at least, delete everything from FreeDoom until only the basic files remains (just the PLAYPAL lump maybe?)

Yes you can sell Freedoom if you want to. That is literally why Freedoom exists - so people can do anything they want with it.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:53 PM, Doom_ so_ good said:

I'm looking for a free game engine with sprite game resources (such as enemies, weapons, first aid kits) like games Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Blood. Of course to sell my games.

If you are using the graphics from Freedoom, they're free use. If you are bringing in assets from elsewhere you aren't creating yourself, make sure you have the license/ability to actually sell them commercially.

An example of what NOT to do is the game Space Trucker on Steam. It uses assets taken from several different games, including Doom.