Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted_Account

Most favorite level from Episode 4

What is your most favorite level in Thy Flesh Consumed and why? I happen to like '"Fear" the secret map of the fourth episode. It's a techbase in an episode dominated by the omnipresent marble and wood design of all the other maps. It has a bit of a tricky start because your surrounded on all sides by baddies, just plasma at everything and it will be smooth sailing after that.

Honorable Mention: Hell Beneath. Quite an opening map for Thy Flesh Consumed!

The fight against the wicked cyberdemon can be a tricky one in M6. And I like that stage...

Against Thee Wickedly (E4M6) I like it because it gives me a feeling that I'm traveling through an ancient, lost realm abandoned millennia ago where Marines failed at their attempt facing the Cyberdemon. That moment was epic to me as I was very nervous when I had to faced it when first played. I also love it's soundtrack.

Perfect Hatred was instantly one of my favorite Doom maps decades ago. Today it still is. 

I have a love-hate relationship with Against Thee Wickedly. There's a sense of pride in figuring out the ins and outs of a map like that, but I still feel its design is kinda faux elegance, I guess.

Mainly E4M3 and E4M5, they give me the feeling and enthusiasm to keep exploring because I always feel like there's more hidden stuff I don't know. E4M6, because it's possibly the trickiest map of the episode, not knowing the correct route is the biggest enemy there. E4M2 introduced me to a lot of tricks (run, telefrag a monster, BFG grab thanks to BigMacDavis' video), and that's why it's one of the best maps there imo. The rest never impressed enough to remember them from start to end. 

E4M8, for the sole reason that it actually feels like a final level, unlike the ones in previous episodes.

Literally every level that ISN'T E4M1, EM2 or E4M9. Those three are what I call the trio of agony.

(E4M8 weirdly is entertaining compared to the rest...)

I'M LOOKING AT YOU E4M2!

I am disappointed at how many people actually like Perfect Hatred. This is insanity. ::curls into fetal position and cries::  Jk, sorta. It is slightly odd to me, though. Maybe I'm the one who's insane? I dunno.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:06 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Literally every level that ISN'T E4M1, EM2 or E4M9.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU E4M2!

This person gets it.

E4M4, it might not look like much, but that's the whole point, it's a breather level after three agonizing starts, and I needed all of the rest I could get before E4M6, aka stupid teleporter puzzle.

What do you guys think of the PSX Doom exclusive maps that appear in Thy Flesh Consumed? Twilight Descends and Threshold of Pain.

Paradoxically, I thoroughly liked the fact that id Software was giving us an official expansion Episode for free (and I probably really enjoyed it while playing it), but I don't remember most of the maps. Perhaps I ought to play it again, just to see what the fuss was all about. [I know, I know. "Heresy! Which DooM enthusiast doesn't remember E4?!!!!"]

I've always been partial to E4M7: And Hell Followed. It's a Dr. Sleep map (just look at the layout; it screams his work), but I just love the design (the altar, and the red key just chilling on the balcony are examples of his detail), and the ending is Invulnerability fun!

E4M3--Sever the Wicked is one of my favorite levels ever.   There's just something about it that draws me in; probably the lack of safety and the atmosphere.    I remember copying it into Doom2 and tweaking the monsters for fun.   

Probably E4M7 but i'm a sucker for maps that start in front of monsters that haven't aggrod yet.  serene yet ominous. 

3 hours ago, mark55 said:

but i'm a sucker for maps that start in front of monsters that haven't aggrod yet.  serene yet ominous. 

Now that I realize this, I like this kind of map start also. How many times has this happened in the IWADs? I can only think of E3M6, E4M2 (sorta) and E4M7 for the first game, and MAP01, MAP02, MAP03 (sorta), MAP11 (sorta), MAP20 (sorta), MAP21, and MAP29 (sorta). Not gonna go into Final Doom territory cause I can't visualize the start of each map in my head right now in a row like I just did for D1 & D2 (wow I am such a fucking nerd).

E4 has a special place in my heart as one of my favorite set of official levels released for Doom. I like the overall aesthetic with the orange sky, wood and stone textures and hellish atmosphere. 

E4M2 is my favorite level of the set, followed by E4M5 and E4M6. 

The only problem I've ever had with E4 is how it opens with two of the most difficult levels in the whole series. IMO, Map 1 and 3 should be reversed. Map 3 is so short an it feels like an introductory level, while Map 1 is a painful experience to begin with. Putting that aside, it's still an enjoyable set of levels. 

On 4/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

What do you guys think of the PSX Doom exclusive maps that appear in Thy Flesh Consumed? Twilight Descends and Threshold of Pain.

Always enjoyed these levels. The PSX version with it's beautiful colored lighting and Aubrey Hodge's ambient music added another feeling to E4 along with it's aesthetics. Twilight Descends is my favorite level the PSX version added.