Find results in...
Mintmag

patch93’s soundfont vs sound files

Your preferred music   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Your preferred music

• sound files
    • midi synth

Hey guys. So I have a question about sound in doom. I was really impressed with patch93’s work. On top of that if you use his sound-font with virtualmidisynth it will make your DOS games sound good as well.

On the other hand you can also download the soundtrack Flacs of the original which supposedly would be more accurate.

Here’s a link to patch93’s amazing soundfont

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/86422-so-i-updated-my-roland-sound-canvas-soundfont/

And here’s a link to where you can get the flack files.

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

So out of these to which would you prefer to use and why?

Hey guys, I've gotten a few responses in the poll but I'd also like to hear from you. Why do people prefer synth over the sound files?

Mostly to save storage space and I am just fine with a soundfont to play MIDIs on. As nice as the music files are, I am just content with how the MIDIs sound for me with my current soundfont, Scc1t2, which comes close to "Native MIDI" after using it for a while. Also custom maps have their own MIDIs that may or may not have their own high quality versions or sound packs, can't say I want to be limited to just the soundtracks of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

3 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Mostly to save storage space and I am just fine with a soundfont to play MIDIs on. As nice as the music files are, I am just content with how the MIDIs sound for me with my current soundfont, Scc1t2, which comes close to "Native MIDI" after using it for a while. Also custom maps have their own MIDIs that may or may not have their own high quality versions or sound packs, can't say I want to be limited to just the soundtracks of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

Oh that's a good point you made about fan maps having their own midi files. I always thought fan maps got their costume music from sound files. The quality difference between patch93 and the genuine sound files are so small that I really couldn't tell the difference. Patch93 said that it's not 100% accurate but there's no way I'd pass a Pepsi with the real thing.