Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Super Mayhem 17

Is.... is it safe? Are we free? 

So, a bit of background. I've lurked Super Mario World ROMhacks for most of my life, starting from a very young age. Probably one of my first real obsessions with a game's modding community, one that still pops up once in a while to go see what the latest 'good' releases are (if you want some good shit, check out VLDC9 and JUMP). So you can imagine my delight when I found out about Mayhem '17 when submissions started coming in. I saw some reaaally cool usages of the classic Mario textures mixed in with my beloved Doom gameplay, so this is really a perfect storm for me. 

When the RC1 came out, I gave maps01-09 a go and remember being pretty impressed, but I stopped for some reason (believe it was a combo of time and rage?), so I hope to pick this back up and see it through to the end. GZdoom with proper compats, no mouselook or any of that jazz, pistolstarts on HMP. Will try to go saveless until drastic measures need to be taken.

So without further ado, let's hop down the warp pipe and go to 1-1! 

ᵏᶦᶫᶫ ᵐᵉ

MAP01: Shroom Stronghold, by Dragonfly|98% kills|0% secrets|

Very nice offering from Dragonfly that has you travelling back-and-forth between a grassy hub area to get the 2 keys needed to exit the map, with ambushes of all shapes and sizes scattered throughout. In short, you're never safe. The graphic and sound replacements are pretty amusing, particularly the coin noise for item pickups and rockets being replaced by Bullet Bills. Nothing too difficult here save a rogue archvile at the end. Don't let him resurrect too much! Standout moment was falling into the sewer pits. 

MAP02: All Along the Bowser Tower, by rf'|99% kills|0% secrets|

Cool upscaling of a trap-ridden fortress, lots of fun "mario" ideas here like P-switches, thwomps, warp pipes, etc... Lots of floor raising/lowering to progress between prior areas. Some weak points for me, like the huge room with the Revenant pillars and a bit of ammo tightness at the very end. Overall though, a very fun map with some pretty neat architecture and ideas. 

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The eternal emperor Dobu Gabu Maru the 1st has fallen to democracy. ;-)

The players have seized the means of playing once more; fascism is dead, long live communityism!

MAP01: Like Jimmy, Dragonfly is a really dependable mapper that consistently produces high-quality, action-packed maps. I love that he wastes no time here ratcheting up the danger by plopping down a few chaingunners in dangerous positions, and ending the map with two lively archviles that are bound to stir up a little trouble (especially if you blow yourself up on one of them—like me—because you didn't know where the spawn points were). This map has a nice interconnected flow, pleasing level of detail, and small-to-medium length, which seems to be his style in general. Very strong opener that doesn't feel like it's wasting your time.

MAP02: Yay, more mid-tier monster usage! I think the only downside to this map is that there aren't enough rockets to let you truly run wild and take down all those pesky perched baddies (this is most apparent when you're in the room with the 4 revs on the raised platforms). Besides that, the map has a lot of neat land transformations, good use of verticality, and a clever little ending bit. I always appreciate maps that let you play like a chicken with your head cut off, zipping in and out of rooms and ducking under enemy volleys.

Oh what a weekend, surviving the both the tyranny of Dobu Gabu Maru the 1st and China's bus sized space station earth reentry. Hopefully things are back to the normal chaos we are used to.

So the borg Doom has assimilated Super Mario to produce Super Mayhem 17. The borrowed classic Mario assets have been put to great use in an excellent implementation. If you enjoyed both the Doom and Mario games in your youth (and most of us did) you will be delighted to play Super Mayhem 17.

The old project objective for the maps was that only 17 per type of monster was permitted but that was changed to a limit of 256 things and the map must exist within a tidy boundary of 5120x3840.

Be warned though that there is not a smooth difficulty curve for the maps, it spikes in places. I've had a peek at (but not played) the first dozen maps and I noticed that Killer5's map11 doesn't just raise the difficulty bar, it blasts the bar up into outer space. You may want to review how you wish to play the maps, e.g. with or without saves, continuous or pistol start etc.

map01: shroom stronghold, by Dragonfly
zdoom2.8.1, uvmax, pistol start, no saves, first time played

As you begin the map you immediately see how much went into importing super mario world sprites, sounds and artifacts. A marvelous job. It takes a while to work out what the items are. For example the pwing is the berserk pack while the powerup mushroom is the soulsphere.

I like how the map changes as blocks raise and walls lower at various points. There's even a platforming section to master to reach one of the keys. The secrets are a little tricky but at least you have visual queues that they are there so you can hunt them down.

The map is an excellent opener that pulls no punches about enemy choice and placement. While mostly low tier enemies are used, they appear from ingenious traps and ambushes that really keep you on your toes. By the end of the map you will encounter hellknights, a pain elemental and even an archvile. This mapset isn't for the fainthearted.

map02: all along the bowser tower, by rf`
zdoom2.8.1, uvmax, pistol start, no saves, first time played

This map starts on a hilltop, grass swaying in the breeze with a large green 'shroom nearby and a couple more in the distance by a staircase of logs, you know like most doom maps start off!

Ammo is not balanced too well for pistol starters, tight at the start and then plentiful later on. However, plenty of health and armor is provided, a good thing since there are several ways to get wrecked beyond monster encounters, e.g. crushers and pain floors.

The map is highly non linear and with several remote switches to find in order to progress. You'll be ambushed by several mid tier enemies to keep you on the run while you are scratching your head trying to work out where to go next.

I love the exit, a classic super mario flag exit near some pipes, although rather than trying to jump to the top of the flag in this case you just need to press the off switch at the base since "doom don't need no jumping!"

Edited by tmorrow

"insert mario meme here"

Anyway, i tried playing it with mario doom (but cant seem to find the link?), and it works! Well sorta, theres the zdoomism that kinda bugs it, but has way superior track selection imo ;)

Also theres this mario related thing. Definitely playing, not only for the map quality, but mario is my favorite!

MAP01 - “Shroom Stronghold” by Dragonfly

A beautiful map that has the best of modern doom pwad desgin value. Shows off the mario aesthetics quite well, havent seen this style done so beautifully since "The adventures of square" e1! Map length is just right, i dont mind the easy gameplay either, so i find the archviles at the end to be phoned in :P

Strong opener!

Some screenies:

udTnIx2.png
s01im9k.png
8f8i0f4.png

im gonna give this a go! ESP ground me down into a fine paste and im hoping mayhem17 will reform me >.<

uv, pistol starts, no saves, in glboom+ as usual, until i decide otherwise!

map01 fda

aaaaaaah this is so much fun. the sound effects make picking up health and ammo bonuses fun again: who couldve guessed? :D

there are some dangerous encounters but the ammo and health quantities make it easy if you want it to be and hard if you want to go full-Tyson etc, i think thats a great decision for an earlier map, rather than soft-pedal absolutely everything. i did find the progression a bit counter-intuitive and i wasnt quite sure where i was at points in the map (didnt get any secrets either) but i think thats a combo of my lack of spatial awareness and the new textures throwing me off as everything normal like switches and 'funny' textures is completely different. i havent played a Mario game since Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 on the NES so some of this stuff may be more visually readable to others though?

Edited by rehelekretep

map02 fda

uv / pistol starts / no saves / glboom+

so beautiful :3 the layout of this map was slightly easier to comprehend than 01. there a few more revenants and mancubi in this map but it ends up feeling less threatening because there are ample opportunities for infighting. perhaps in a max-run this would be harder than 01 but im not sure? again i got 0 secrets and 11 enemies left so i think i missed a whole area out? pointers welcome as this map was a joy to play through so wouldnt mind doing it again.

12 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

again i got 0 secrets and 11 enemies left so i think i missed a whole area out? pointers welcome

Hmm! The secret areas only hold one spectre. Where the other 10 enemies are I'm not sure.

Spoiler
  1. In the north room with a lavafall and 3 lifts. There is a north or west path to an opening to the outside that leads to the berserk pack on a ledge. The north path hides a pswitch. Action the pswitch to lower the 3 ledges. Step on the lowered ledges to register a secret.
  2. At secret 1 when the 3 lifts have been lowered you can see a small opening to an alcove at the 3rd lift. Run inside to find a spectre guarding  an invisibility sphere.

Marc you knobcheese, I'm surprised my shitty speedmap I sent from the beginning of the project managed to make it into the final release. Oh well, there's gonna be a lot of rustled folks on the fifth. I love making people angry. Also ITYTD with no HUD again.

MAP01 Shroom Stronghold

This wasn't all that appetizing, really. Plainliness isn't a bad thing, but this map was just eh overall. Separate paths for the keys is cool. I think what got me though were the red and blue switches that end up NOT opening the way to the exit right away. Quite easy to forget the other two red and blue doors. Best combat moments were from the teleporting ambushes. The megaarmor secret is rather hard.

MAP02 All Along the Bowser Tower

The less I get lost in a map, the better it fairs. Congrats, I liked this one more, possibly due to its open spaces. And thankfully, the jumping isn't so damn benign for once. Interesting paths were made and crossed. Thwomps used as crushers makes sense, and them not being so fast is actually not a bad thing. Theme's a bit all over the place, don't see much of Spikey things, although there's lava, there's also Shifting Sand Land pyramid thingies and a bunch of grass at the start. Won't bring the level down because of that, focus on the gameplay, which was consistent, had decent mid-tier fights. I concentrate more on those mancubi.

I was planning to play this at some point since I love Super Mario nes/snes games, but I guess that that time has come.

MAP01: Bland and generic, I was glad when it was over it felt much longer than how actually it is.

MAP02: This was very good, and with some platforming and an overall wacky style that fits better with the theme.

6 minutes ago, gaspe said:

I was planning to play this at some point since I love Super Mario nes/snes games, but I guess that that time has come.

MAP01: Bland and generic, I was glad when it was over it felt much longer than how actually it is.

MAP02: This was very good, and with some platforming and an overall wacky style that fits better with the theme.

Hehe, on the topic of Dragonfly's maps there are a fair share of "generic" ones. This is not one of the times imo, but yeah some of his maps feel like they lack a little something memorable.

wow that's a harsh reaction to map01 - i didnt feel it was generic/bland at all - too many 01's use low-tier enemies and have no 'tricks' or interesting moments which i thought this had in abundance.

9 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

So, a bit of background. I've lurked Super Mario World ROMhacks for most of my life, starting from a very young age. Probably one of my first real obsessions with a game's modding community, one that still pops up once in a while to go see what the latest 'good' releases are (if you want some good shit, check out VLDC9 and JUMP). So you can imagine my delight when I found out about Mayhem '17 when submissions started coming in. I saw some reaaally cool usages of the classic Mario textures mixed in with my beloved Doom gameplay, so this is really a perfect storm for me. 

YES :DDDDDDDD

MAP02 - “All Along the Bowser Tower” by rf’

A charming map that genuinely put a smile on my face :D Rf creates a wacky map that does justice to the mario spirit (cool nods!). Visual are a bit too varied theme wise, but every piece of detail feels at home in a mario mapset (those whomps!), and its good looking. Gameplay is a just right dose of ssg action, with a nice layout. Dat music too. Bravo rf'!

I also notice that 2 maps in a row have subtansial amounts of platforming, will this be a recuring thing? (not that i mind)

Some screenies:

Wc4dRyS.png
BoHBSYI.png
nUlLTL1.png

i don't :^) Though I think most of the platforming here is very simple anyway. Ironically out of what I've played, the optional platforming in my map was the biggest pain in the arse, heh.

Map 01- Shroom Stronghold by Dragonfly

A cute first map to breeze through. The architecture is sound, and fun despite layout is nothing too spectacular. Overall above-average, but nothing that much to write off.

2 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

hullo @mun 🖐 welcome to the DWMC :)

Thanks for the welcome post :)

I liked it so much I reviewed it.

MAP01 - “Shroom Stronghold” by Dragonfly

Well, I haven't properly been in here for a while, so fingers crossed I can last this one out.

I guess the best way to describe this map would be that it is a nice map to ease the player into the bizarre world that this wad will offer in its doom/mario crossover. The map is pretty safely built, the textures are pretty boxy and hence the map is pretty much full of 90 degree angles. That says the map is pretty well layered to make some interesting rooms and arenas that keep the player engaged. The gameplay is solid, I never felt overly threatened but there was enough action to drop my health pretty low at times. I can't offer any real complaints about this one. A solid opener.

MAP02 - “All Along the Bowser Tower” by rf’

I really enjoyed this one, I didn't have many navigational problems here and the action was quite oppressive at times. Unlike a couple of others I didn't have ammo problems here though I did rush to grab the SSG anf rocket launcher and left most of the monsters behind until later. Despite the rather frantic gameplay, the map wasn't overly difficult with plenty of health scattered around.

Edited by cannonball

Well, this is new.  ZDoom, continuous play, Hurt Me Plenty, with liberal use of saves as and when I feel they contribute to my enjoyment of the WAD.

MAP01: Shroom Stronghold

This map is a joyous things, with its bright colours, upbeat music, and cheerful, familiar sound effects presenting a world that's quite different to the typical Doom experience - at least until the bullets start to fly and the blood and bodies begin to pile up.  There aren't a terrific number of other surprises to be found here, with the level seving largely as an introduction to the blend of Super Mario level aesthetics and Doom monsters and gunplay, but it's perfectly okay that the map isn't trying to do anything too clever just yet - there's a whole WAD ahead to subvert expectations and keep players on their toes, what's important here is that this level establishes those expectations in the first place, and it does that admirably.  While the bulk of the oppisition are demons-on-down at this early stage in the game, there are a couple of hell knights, revenants, and an arch-vile to keep things lively.  A good, solid opening map indeed.

Oh Eternal Emperor Dobu, I am nothing compared to thee; I am as a fart in the wind, whose pungent scent is sweetened only by thy presence. I am an unseeing snail that -- oh, we're not doing that anymore? Nevermind then.

ZDoom, pistol starts, UV, mouse look, save as feel like.

MAP01: Shroom Stronghold

100% kills, 2/2 secrets

A good intro map for the WAD, as it does a good job laying out the items with changed sprites in settings that aren't too threatening so the player has time to take it slow and see what everything is. The map is very boxy and 90 degrees, but a large part of that is due to the aesthetic/texture scheme it's going for. I agree with NMM that the red/blue switches not opening the bars but just revealing teleporters was a little strange in terms of map flow. Combat is pretty light (as may be befitting a MAP01) though I admit the double viles at the end caught me by surprise since the rest had lulled me into a false sense of security.