Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob9001

MazeofDeath.wad (WIP)

Hello, today I present a map that I've been working on for the past month. I call it the "Maze of Death".

It is loosely based on Plutonia Map 11: Hunted. That being my favourite map out of the Plutonia wad.

Latest Release: Beta - v1.3

IWAD: Plutonia.wad

Compatibility: Tested in Zdoom 2.8, PRBOOM+ 2.5.1.4, Doom 2 1.9 exe. Does not require free-look, jumping etc.

Map: Map 11.

Difficulty: Hard.

Theme: Maze

Monster Count: 50

Secret Count: 10

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot #1Screenshot #2Screenshot #3Screenshot #4

MazeofDeath05.jpg.7bf25e83744f4856abee7b9bc401c79d.jpgMazeofDeath06.jpg.acb8f3fa320c293bba99ce806085ddb0.jpg

MazeofDeath07.jpg.47e04ca5f14328166f748248f3b1e9de.jpgMazeofDeath08.jpg.631a75400da29b653ad5d8877b9dc5b1.jpg

Download: MazeofDeathv1.3.zip

Please give me feedback and suggestion; Don't be afraid to give me criticism, as long as it's constructive :)

P.S: All changes to this WAD will be documented and I will post when ever I've updated the WAD.

Edited by Bob9001 : Formatting

here's two demos (-complevel 4), one my FDA and the other my best attempt, in which I got 26/46 kills (and died). both were played using a PS2 controller. yeah, you read that right.

bonMazeDemos.zip

constructive criticism:

Spoiler

1. embed your screenshots in your post, don't just put 20 links in (you can embed by literally just copy/pasting the link into your post, and if it's too big, you can put them in a spoiler like this)

2. it's like hunted, but prettier :o

3. i don't really know how I feel about the monster blocking lines all over the place. they seem excessive and kinda restrict gameplay.

4. sometimes the archviles at the beginning don't teleport immediately, which can be very aggravating

5. i recorded quite a number of attempts. the reason i stopped where i did was because i died not because of poor play, but because of poor level design. i died because i completely wasted the secret invulnerability trying to get to the cyberdemon, as apparently only the blue bars actually raise up. you seriously need to do something about that area, because it's very misleading ;~;

i may or may not play and record again once this is updated

22 minutes ago, bonnie said:

using a PS2 controller

Legit question: HOW? I'm trying to play DOOM (2016) myself on my PS4 and with a controller I struggle to kill the weakest monsters with the controller. How can you use it well enough to play maps and get pretty far into them?

Anyway, screenshots are not bad at all. The wood theme is gorgeous. I'll probably give this a play this week!

9 hours ago, bonnie said:

here's two demos (-complevel 4), one my FDA and the other my best attempt, in which I got 26/46 kills (and died). both were played using a PS2 controller. yeah, you read that right.

bonMazeDemos.zip

constructive criticism:

Hide contents

1. embed your screenshots in your post, don't just put 20 links in (you can embed by literally just copy/pasting the link into your post, and if it's too big, you can put them in a spoiler like this)

2. it's like hunted, but prettier :o

3. i don't really know how I feel about the monster blocking lines all over the place. they seem excessive and kinda restrict gameplay.

4. sometimes the archviles at the beginning don't teleport immediately, which can be very aggravating

5. i recorded quite a number of attempts. the reason i stopped where i did was because i died not because of poor play, but because of poor level design. i died because i completely wasted the secret invulnerability trying to get to the cyberdemon, as apparently only the blue bars actually raise up. you seriously need to do something about that area, because it's very misleading ;~;

i may or may not play and record again once this is updated

Thank you for taking your time to give feedback.

1. Yeah I was going to do that, but I forgot how to embed the screenshots :L

2. Why thank you, I designed it that way based on Hunted.

3. Hmm, well in my defence I did that because when I was testing that, the archviles would bunch up and half the map would be empty of monsters. For example the top left corner would have about 12-15 archviles and that I thought was stupid and just a death trap (unintentional). But if you can give me some more in depth advice on which monster blocks to remove, I'll be happy to remove some.

4. Yes, I noticed that and I don't know how to prevent it, again if you have some advice what I could change to stop that.

5. Well in regard to the level design, the torches are supposed to lead you to all 3 keys. The blue key is optional, hence why the bars raise up. Red and Yellow are recommended to finish the level.

9 hours ago, NaZa said:

Legit question: HOW? I'm trying to play DOOM (2016) myself on my PS4 and with a controller I struggle to kill the weakest monsters with the controller. How can you use it well enough to play maps and get pretty far into them?

Anyway, screenshots are not bad at all. The wood theme is gorgeous. I'll probably give this a play this week!

I'll fix the screenshots when I remember how to embed :-)

Thank you, I decided to do the theme with those textures cause it just looks right for the style I was going for. Having made many maps and only just now getting round to release my first level, I learned how to incorporate the style.

I've gone and made some changes, they will be documented in txt file that comes with the wad. Link has been updated.

I'm really needing some more advice on what to do about the monster blocks, so if someone could give me some that would be helpful.

You just need open your images in new tab and post that long link on writing window and it will be embeded.

3 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

You just need open your images in new tab and post that long link on writing window and it will be embeded.

I still don't get how to do it, don't you make tags like [Img/] *link*? [Img/]

You don't need them. You just open your images from imgur in new tab with right click and copy your image link here, in writing window. Or upload images straight out from your computer where it says "drag files here to attach or choose files..."

125.png

126.png

15 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

You don't need them. You just open your images from imgur in new tab with right click and copy your image link here, in writing window. Or upload images straight out from your computer where it says "drag files here to attach or choose files..."

125.png

126.png

Thank you very much for the help :-)

I have managed to change it over and now looks better.

In other words, I been playing around with the monster blocks and I seem to found a way to balance it better, more to come on that.

Will keep everyone posted. :-)

Heya guys, I been busy adding some polish to the map. Saying that I've decided to bring Maze of Death into Beta, Hooray!

One thing I have changed is ammo and medkits, these have been reduced and I've been testing it after this change and its a tad bit harder but with right ammo management and peeking you can still complete this wad no sweat!

Let me know any suggestions and feedback, Cheers.

Hey people, I was hoping this wad would get a bit more attention for feedback purposes but oh well.

So today I'm releasing v1.3 of the wad, and this will probably be the version that I upload to idgames. But we well see what more feedback I can get.

Hope you all enjoy!!