Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Share a random fact about yourself

I'm allergic to MSG.Though the reaction is no where near as bad now than it was when I was a kid. One of the my first trips to the emergency room, that I can remember, was the first time I had Chinese food. 

I'm allergic to a certain kind of fish, although I'm not sure which exactly. The only thing I know is that one day my mom bought a can of what was supposed to be tuna, but it turns out it was something else, and my face inflated so much that I could barely open my eyes. In fact, I could open them just the enough to look at myself in the mirror and see how hideous I was at the moment.

We don't buy cheap tuna cans anymore.

666th post! Yay! :P

I'm a walking bag of allergies, sadly :(  I'm moderately allergic to a lot of the common plant/mold/pollen things, mildly to cats and dogs (I can still be around them and have them), and some meds (fluticasone and bactrim).  I'm also very allergic to rats, which is sad since I love them so much.  No food allergies though, so at least there's that!

I'm allergic to other human being most of the time.

I never knew other allergies I am victim of though, if I happen to have one.

9 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

I'm allergic to other human being most of the time.

I never knew other allergies I am victim of though, if I happen to have one.

It's my only allergy as well. I'm not aware of having other allergies, and I don't have friends who have any either.

4 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I won a university-wide poetry contest in college, despite the fact that I really don't write poetry at all.

Well that's nice. Makes me wonder what I could do with mine (though I look at them as lyrics for songs instead honestly), even though I rarely ever write poetry of any kind as well. I'll probably win a free trip to the psychiatrist :v .

I'm terrible at poetry due to my inability to understand metaphors. It seems I take everyhting I read at face value, so at the end I end up incredibly confused, and if I'm the one making the metaphores... well, it's just as hard for me.

I used to write poems too, but now I don't do this anymore. No inspiration and I take criticism way too much when it comes about this touchy subject. More than asking rate/test/criticise my maps. 

Im kinda "allergic" to English poems, or maybe i just havent read the greats.

Edited by Catpho

Violets are blue,

Roses are red,

The only good imp,

Is one that is dead.

8 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Im kinda "allergic" to English poems,or maybe i just havent read the greats.

"Alone" by Edgar Allen Poe:

From childhood’s hour I have not been

As others were—I have not seen

As others saw—I could not bring

My passions from a common spring—

From the same source I have not taken

My sorrow—I could not awaken

My heart to joy at the same tone—

And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone—

Then—in my childhood—in the dawn

Of a most stormy life—was drawn

From ev’ry depth of good and ill

The mystery which binds me still—

From the torrent, or the fountain—

From the red cliff of the mountain—

From the sun that ’round me roll’d

In its autumn tint of gold—

From the lightning in the sky

As it pass’d me flying by—

From the thunder, and the storm—

And the cloud that took the form

(When the rest of Heaven was blue)

Of a demon in my view—

To be fair, he is not a "brit", but I think his "style" is close enough. Or do you just mean the english language overall?

Excerpt from Ulysses, by Alfred Tennyson. Its significance escaped me when I first read the poem, back in the days of my early youth. But getting older has a way of making people look at things differently.

We are not now that strength which in old days 
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; 
One equal temper of heroic hearts, 
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will 
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

3 minutes ago, ReX said:

Excerpt from Ulysses, by Alfred Tennyson. Its significance escaped me when I first read the poem, back in the days of my early youth. But getting older has a way of making people look at things differently.

We are not now that strength which in old days 
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; 
One equal temper of heroic hearts, 
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will 
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I love that poem quite a bit. Although my first ‘encounter’ with it was on a high school midterm I barely prepared for. That wasn’t a fun time.

Thanks for the replies. The realm of english poetry hasnt touch me for some reason, so ill try to find a way to read them :)

I don't "get" poetry. When formatted as a song I seem capable of understanding it's meaning more (the performance of a song can certainly convey a LOT of emotion). When I read written poems they sound like 'profound nursery rhymes' more than anything else and it doesn't "do" anything for me. A shame, it seems interesting to me as an 'outsider' to poetry.

Just now, Payload4367 said:

Its' my Birthday!

Best wishes. Try not to get into too much trouble (some of us think we're invulnerable during our birthdays). :wink:

6 minutes ago, Payload4367 said:

Its' my Birthday!

Have a happy BD! How old are you now?

21 minutes ago, Payload4367 said:

Its' my Birthday!

CIWo-BQWoAAerwi.jpg

Have some fireblueberry and nukage flavored cake

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I don't "get" poetry. When formatted as a song I seem capable of understanding it's meaning more (the performance of a song can certainly convey a LOT of emotion).

For songs you say eh?

Then you're gonna fall in love with my morbid poems xdd, good to read while a song with a tormented voice plays.

4 hours ago, Catpho said:

Im kinda "allergic" to English poems, or maybe i just havent read the greats.

On another note, but still related to reading, for some reason I can't really stand reading many things in my native language, and is an absolute "no" for esoteric or philosophic stuff. Wisdom ( "intelepciune" in romanian) for instance makes me vomit.

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I don't "get" poetry. When formatted as a song I seem capable of understanding it's meaning more (the performance of a song can certainly convey a LOT of emotion). When I read written poems they sound like 'profound nursery rhymes' more than anything else and it doesn't "do" anything for me. A shame, it seems interesting to me as an 'outsider' to poetry.

Poems are funny because they're both musical (i.e. you get your best experience actually reciting a poem out loud), but also they're not 'music' in the sense of you should always expect a conventional rhyme and metre scheme. For me personally (as a guy who reads waaaaay too much poetry), the best part about poetry is sitting down with something and finding all of its blips and hiccups (the poets will 99.99% of the time do these on purpose) and figuring out what those mean. One of my two favourite poems, Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott, does this in a really amazing fashion.

* for those who give a shit, my other favourite poem is Shelley's Ozymandias. There's so much packed into these 14 lines, it blows my mind. poetry is good!!

I wrote the lyrics for the songs of our project, but I don't think it's poetic, even with rhyms and other shit.

It's also harder for me to write songs in a stranger tongue.

Just now, Mayhem666 said:

I wrote the lyrics for the songs of our project, but I don't think it's poetic, even with rhyms and other shit.

It's also harder for me to write songs in a stranger tongue.

Or foreign* I guess. My poems (read: rather lyrics) are full of rhymes, they probably wouldn't need so many to work and yet, until I reached a significant number of rhymes I couldn't be satisfied.

And actually, for me it's easier and comes much more natural to write stuff in english most of the time. I also tried writing lyrics/poems in my native language and they feel so so odd, I get very strange vibes.

For that matter, I read some of my favorite lyrics from Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism last night and I absolutely cannot stand hearing them in a translated version:

"The unholy forces of evil,
Unholy forces of hell.

It's the legend, the demons,
Where all are slaughter.

The unholy forces of evil
Served upon our diabolic souls,
Cults of death bathed in slaught,
As the Devil's candles burn
. "

A romanian version of this fragment? No matter how good a job one does, no thank you, they make me vomit and feel awkward... My native tongue doesn't click at all for certain things, for me at least... and lyrics/poems is most definitely among them. I'm also unable to spit/recite/read/whatever them with the same level of conviction either... Strange what a language can do.

A few other languages that I like could potentially work just as well, such as norwegian or japanese (no joke, Sabbat's Karisma is likely one of the reasons for this), depending on the mood and emotions I want them to invoke and how they're meant to be spoken, although I'll likely break my tongue in half in the process. Too bad I don't speak any of 'em.

I'm not saying that the lyrics would be better in my native language, i'm just saying that it's harder for me to have a larger bank of words and to express exactly what I want by translating what I mean to english. It would of course be awful to write in french, as I hate hearing songs in that language.

I feel like old Sepultura trying to translate portuguese to english, but french in my case lol, which resulted in funny mistakes that I wouldn't even care about in the end.