Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Misjudged Massacre - Progress Download Available. (Hotfix v3 ready))

If your making vanilla maps then use "chocorenderlimits" (ill find a link at some point). It simply is the way forward for avoiding VPO and more commonly the seg overflow that causes HOM's.

32 Maps is ambitious as you know, however since your going vanilla may I suggest you set a sector limit? 150 - 200 for a normal level and up to 400 for a bigger, more important level.   

What you have so far looks good to be fair the CC4 textures are very nice! 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Chocorenderlimits

4 minutes ago, NaZa said:

The texture pack will be cc4-tex.wad, obviously...

Remember that cc4-tex.wad was primarily made for Boom format so not everything will transfer over to vanilla cleanly. Also look here for a decent list of vanilla limitations and feel free to ask about vanilla DeHackEd.

2 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Remember that cc4-tex.wad was primarily made for Boom format so not everything will transfer over to vanilla cleanly. Also look here for a decent list of vanilla limitations and feel free to ask about vanilla DeHackEd.

I know. I'm using a nerfed version that works with DOOM2.EXE.

Thanks for the thread! I'll look into it.

edit: Thank you @Liberation for the link to Chocorenderlimits! I've heard about it and knew it was a fork of Chocolate Doom but didn't download it. I've been using Boris' Visplane Explorer for visplane/drawsegs (with all doors opened and all floors lowered). 

MAP03: Path to Freedom

Map is done. Took a while, and there was a huge spot of laziness around, so basically first two weeks of January + last two weeks of March was when I did the map. Incorporates the cave wandering aspect more than MAP02 - this time in a deserty environment as a segmented base that's connected with various hallways... but not really... interlocked... I had many plans for optional areas but I just dried out near the end. Still, I'm satisfied with it!

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_095950.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100042.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100053.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100105.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100126.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100133.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100143.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180403_100157.png

(nomonsters flag, accidental berserk pickup and noclip included)

33 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Will you replace sky? Just asking :"")

I was thinking about it, but I am still not sure. The default Doom II sky blends in nicely in MAP03 with all the deserty environment, but the gray cc4 sky is much better in the first two. However, I probably will replace the sky.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:58 AM, Liberation said:

If your making vanilla maps then use "chocorenderlimits" (ill find a link at some point). It simply is the way forward for avoiding VPO and more commonly the seg overflow that causes HOM's.

More precisely, it allows you to play your level and render it, regardless of the number of visplane, drawsegs, etc. The nice thing is that the HUD displays all of these, along with the vanilla limit, and highlights one of them when you exceed that limit. Since VPOs will crash the game, it also keeps a running tab of the maximum visplanes visible during the playthrough (while you open doors, raise lifts, lower ceilings, etc.).

It's nice because it lets you see all of this in real time, while Visplane Explorer (which I also like) determines the visplanes and drawsegs in 8 directions only from any one point, and only gives you the option to open all doors or close all doors. It provides a good starting point, but chocorenderlimits let's you really nail things down to determine what is causing your trouble.

For example, I had a vanilla level that would crash if a monster was killed while over a patch of ground that would later raise up to form a temporary wall. If the monster was on top, the wall wouldn't go all the way to the ceiling and there would be extra visplanes that hadn't been planned. The only way I found that was through chocorenderlimits.

Looking good. 

One question though: are you sure you haven’t even started the project until four months from now?

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Looking good. 

One question though: are you sure you haven’t even started the project until four months from now?

I have, but didn't make the thread as I was still undecided about actually finishing it. The changelog states that I started work on 19th August, which is true. I also sent out PMs and DMs to playtesters and posted screenshots around mid-August of MAP01.

6 hours ago, NaZa said:

I was thinking about it, but I am still not sure. The default Doom II sky blends in nicely in MAP03 with all the deserty environment, but the gray cc4 sky is much better in the first two. However, I probably will replace the sky.

I think you should change the default sky, it will give a more unique look for the maps.

I think you misunderstood. I was just giving you a hard time because several of your dates have not even occurred yet. I think you meant 2017. 

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I think you misunderstood. I was just giving you a hard time because several of your dates have not even occurred yet. I think you meant 2017. 

Whoops, thanks! Yes, the bottom two are in fact 2017 - I just didn't check what I wrote... eh. It's supposed to be from bottom to top, the changelog.

Alrighty. I'm doing MAP04 and I've settled on using some areas of my old project Abhorrence's MAP04 because I've put too much effort into that map, and it's a pity I've never fully finished it - I had so many things planned for that map. Might make it a tad bit easier, though - the temple part (which I aim to reuse) was absolutely mental and it would be too huge of a difficulty spike. ž

Obviously the map was limit-removing (in quite a way!) so it will be difficult to clean it of VPO's.

What is your opinion on reusing assets from previous projects (in case a map wasn't fully finished but you put too much effort in?)

Of course reuse stuff.

Also, why don't you make it limit-removing so as not to waste time with VPOs etc?

On 1/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, Liberation said:

32 Maps is ambitious as you know, however since your going vanilla may I suggest you set a sector limit? 150 - 200 for a normal level and up to 400 for a bigger, more important level.   

What you have so far looks good to be fair the CC4 textures are very nice! 

And when I made Incineration, an episode 3 replacement intended for Registered Doom v1.2. I always checked the visplane explorer in DB and made sure I kept the limit to mostly under 100.  So it is important not to use Boom features and keep the visplane below 100 even though the limit is 128.

4 hours ago, VGA said:

Of course reuse stuff.

Also, why don't you make it limit-removing so as not to waste time with VPOs etc?

In the past, I've focused way too much on microdetails and not gameplay. I want to kinda change that. 

I like what I see so far. The palette is gorgeous, too! Look forward to what else comes of this. :)

The screenies do look nice, but I could go for a little lot more height variation. (Personal preference, of course.)

3 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

The screenies do look nice, but I could go for a little lot more height variation.

Now that you say it, there really isn't a lot of high variation in these shots. There's some height transition between areas but it is rather minimal. I'll focus on improving that as well over time but that's not my top priority.

MAP04: Digging Deeper

Finally done. Had to focus on other projects a bit so this one was put on hold for a month and a half, but I'm pleased with my work. The cave areas are a bit bare but I focused more on gameplay this time around. It's an extremely brown level, UAC Ultra-style, with some industry work as well!Screenshot_Doom_20180707_125940.png.cb7c8b72d940d6dfd05bbef5dd42f21d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180707_130001.png.84c8b5e40fad962d93663d4cca11a02b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180707_130022.png.e9b36d75364035104a7ba0409a378537.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180707_130100.png.f6b674cb080243d9e902b78e96af655b.png