Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: 50 Monsters

Dammit, this one's blind too. Well, that's what I get for mostly playing Maximum Doom and pre-2000 WADs.

*thinking*

Guess that I can try this one blind again ;_;

Just need more time for it :)

Well I've played this before, and I remember a lot of tricky parts despite the low monster count.

50monstr is on my top 20 - doomworld community top wads of all time.

The mapset is riddled with trickery and trappery so don't be fooled by low 50 monster count.

Lies, lies and more lies. Map17 only has 49 monsters, map30 has 48, map32 has 100, map35 has 103. What's more map33 and map35 can't be reached through normal play. What a disgrace AD_79!

I can't wait to see how far the elite players can get this month. I still haven't completed all the maps on uvmax yet.

Yeah I've played this before. It was a very fun TNS back in 2015, actually kinda surprising considering the concept. I remember the single-player being pretty rough though, probably won't make it to MAP05.

Fonz, I've recorded my main run. Do I go ahead and record MAP33 and MAP35 now?

Yes. You've also the option of recording those runs before the main WAD, instead, or even one before and one after—it makes no difference, as long as it's not wedged in between levels of the main block. Treat it as a vv/vv2 or endgame/endpoint arrangement.

I should also add that it is unnecessary to provide demos for any single map that you do not complete provided that you at least pass MAP01 of 50 Monsters. e.g. if you die in MAP33 but survive MAP35 and manage to get on the board in the main set, you don't need to zip up the MAP33 demo.

Edited by Alfonzo

Alrighty! CATEGORY 1

Not sure if anyone will survive MAP33 tbh that map is really AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. I didn't, for the record

Died on MAP11 after about 50 minutes of escaping encounters with less than 20 HP sometimes.

I presume I've survived MAP35 because an error in PrBoom+ made the game crash when I killed the final monster because "there's no CWILV34".

NaZa-50Monstr-Ironman.zip

My death is up there with my other deaths from this year, from cutting across a cyberdemon while in the middle of a volley, having a lust for hot beverage so high that it made me blind and deaf, getting into a revenant's face... now it's relying on triggering pain chance on Fuego the Archvile. With an SSG it's risky, but no, I went with a standard shotgun and I died. 

The run was stressful and I loved the set, it was similar to my trap solutions so I quickly felt like home and managed to adapt to the WAD quicker than I'd thought. I really want to finish this WAD now, but casually.

Here's the pic.

doom00.png.223224188e72814dd36044caba08f332.png

I'm way up and I am comin' down
Fuego taking me higher
Ah yeah yeah
'I'm burning up and I ain't coolin' down
Yeah he got the fire
Ah yeah yeah

I'M FINE! I'M... FINE!!!

Spoiler

cat 2, map03, bullshit-o-meter off the charts, and MAP33 was exactly the map I was hoping it wouldn't be, heh, bad co-op memories of that one.

I haven't even played Doom since Warlock's Hearth last month so there was very much a 'whatever' attitude to this.

I'll definitely do this later this week. I guess despite being the number 1 in UV -Fast category (since no one cares :D) of most of the maps, I still really suck at the game ;P

@NaZaOoo, Map11, that one is quite nasty because of the death exit. Wait... is it?

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I'll definitely do this later this week. I guess despite being the number 1 in UV -Fast category (since no one cares :D) of most of the maps, I still really suck at the game ;P

@NaZaOoo, Map11, that one is quite nasty because of the death exit.

Oh yeah, in MAP10 I desperately tried to get those cells thinking they'd carry over to the next level, but when I heard explosions and myself dead, I realized I could've exited the level 2-3 minutes sooner! Urgh. Still, the fate would have been the same.

EDIT: To not double-post, the standings have been updated. Bloodite Krypto enjoys the a dominant start so far, but in 2016 Demon of the Well's lead over WH-Wilou84 was twice as large. Both of them are pretty strong contenders now still (DotW won last time out!), joined by The Prep Master RjY and Beginner who's on serious pace this year. The Britbowl squad is separated by about 35,000 points, with an_mutt comfortably leading (it's 2-1-0 in the head-to-head). Is this the month Suitepee finally snatches the win? Malrionn, one of the newcomers to the league in 2018, started off very strong. However, the question is will he keep it throughout the year and challenge the Brits and the GJ! duo.

Edited by NaZa

DEAD Map11.

I was well past the meat of the map and my aim with rocket threw me off, then finished off by a near-death archvile.  I am angry with my death; I am now an angry archvile.

Category 2.  I remember the themes for a lot of maps, not the specifics though.

Dead: Map11

Dead: Map33

Survived: Map35

edit (more info):

Map01 is tricky with no armor and little heath.  Once you get to map 02 and get the armor, I giant burden is loaded off of you.  There's still some tricky ambuses but Map02 is where you get actual momentum.  I feel bad for the Map01 deaths that might come.  I'm also pissed that I died on Map11, which was probably another momentum hurdle because of forced pistol start.  I was so friggin close to getting over the second hurdle.

prboom-plus.exe -file .\50monstr.wad -deh .\50monstr.deh -complevel 2 -skill 4 -nomusic -record noisy_50monstr.lmp
prboom-plus.exe -file .\50monstr.wad -deh .\50monstr.deh -complevel 2 -skill 4 -nomusic -warp 33 -record noisy_50monstr_map33.lmp
prboom-plus.exe -file .\50monstr.wad -deh .\50monstr.deh -complevel 2 -skill 4 -nomusic -warp 35 -record noisy_50monstr_map35.lmp

Edited by NoisyVelvet

21 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Arrgghhhhh. If my calculations are right you were ~7 minutes faster than myself and finished recording your demo 1 minute before myself.

Still, congratulations.

Sure wasn't expecting to see this. I'm trying to think about how well this would work in an Ironman sense... there's a lot of dick-moves throughout and I definitely can't see myself getting through in one piece (Yeah, I'm probably going to play this time; I feel obligated to, haha).

Best of luck to everyone! If someone manages to survive to the very end, they will forever be remembered as a certified bad-ass to me. If that's any incentive, which it really isn't :P

Due to the inherently buggy nature of map35's "exit", I'll not be counting the time elapsed for any survivors of that map. I guess this means that the number of kills on map02 becomes important if you plan on dying there but surviving the bonus map, somehow, so take heed streamers!

EDIT: Surprise! map33 is exactly the same. I sure do know my engine quirks. No timey wimey stuff for that level, either.

Edited by Alfonzo

1 hour ago, Alfonzo said:

the number of kills on map02 becomes important if you plan on dying there.

Noted

20 hours ago, AD_79 said:

If someone manages to survive to the very end, they will forever be remembered as a certified bad-ass to me.

Paging @Alfonzo, @an_mutt, @Anima Zero, @Ancalagon, @Beginner, @Bloodite Krypto, @Demon of the Well, @RjY, @Roofi, @Suitepee, @Veinen, @WH-Wilou84

(That's everyone, minus @Alfonzo, with at least 1,000,000 points in @NaZa's leaderboard (except @RjY, who's 975k rounds up to 1M), before anyone gets upset and feels disrespected because they weren't included.)

I added @Alfonzo to the list; he should be included as well, since he does have 1,000,000 points. He is the host of this thread, which is the only reason I left him off the original list. I'd like to rectify that now.

Edited by Pegleg : Rectified the omission of Alfonzo and added RjY.

@Pegleg That's a brave move... I remember when in October or September Alfonzo was first and wanted to remain but dobu pinged Veinen, Bloodite and DotW to overthrow him :D Nevertheless, all the people you pinged should have a good chance of getting far, but Veinen didn't participate since December, as well as Roofi (he did participate in February)

Also, the standings have all three (2016, 2017 and 2018) years covered, it's near the bottom, one can choose between sheets. I didn't mention that before and now's my chance to finally do so :P

22 minutes ago, NaZa said:

@Pegleg That's a brave move... I remember when in October or September Alfonzo was first and wanted to remain but dobu pinged Veinen, Bloodite and DotW to overthrow him :D Nevertheless, all the people you pinged should have a good chance of getting far, but Veinen didn't participate since December, as well as Roofi (he did participate in February)

Also, the standings have all three (2016, 2017 and 2018) years covered, it's near the bottom, one can choose between sheets. I didn't mention that before and now's my chance to finally do so :P

I'd like to clarify that I wasn't excluding @Alfonzo out of some sort of malice, just that he was the host of the thread. I rectified that situation. I was just highlighting the top folks so far who would likely contend for @AD_79's title of "certified bad-ass." It was meant to be in fun.

I also noticed Veinen hadn't participated this year, but was one of the top scorers, even sitting with a big zero in the 2018 column, and so was included. @RjY has also been performing well of late, and didn't reach 1,000,000 only from lack of participation in 2016.

Pegleg, thank you. But I only have such a score because I've never been made to stop learning the maps in advance :).

Alright, I have returned for another round this month xdd.

I managed to survive a couple of maps, but not too many, and eventually died after I got trapped and the PE overwhelmed me with their stinking LS :v . It's once again a completely blind playthrough although I do admit that at certain part it does look like I was already prepared for what comes next (such as when I switch to the Chaingun and strafe run for a short distance to successfully avoid a Revenant that teleports in after activating a button for instance), thought that was just the map being surprisingly predictable sometimes.

I enjoyed the wad, neat new textures but seriously what's with all these Chaingunners lol. I'll likely participate from now on, regardless of how poorly I might do. This was played and recorded in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 with the launch settings indicated in the original post.

agent6returns.zip

Ok, let's see how I did (category 2 run, played this during a TNS session back in the day).  Going to be interesting since I have a new computer to play around with and all that.

First, I did map33 & 35.  Map35 I died after hitting a switch and had a bunch of Cacodemon v2s rain down on me with no real way to repel them easily.  Reason?  Evidently I missed getting an invul sphere at the megaarmor when I was messing around without recording afterwards.  THANKS GAME!  Decided to package up the fail if you want some laughs.

At the very least....I survived map33.  Somehow.  Didn't die running for the SSG, got the ensuing cyber to do clean up work on the majority of everything I ran past, then I proceeded to nearly die myself finishing the cyber off.  7 health left with the cyber still breathing and the arena I have to work with is rather nail biting ya know.  After that, not too hard to exit (and find out PRBoom Plus crashes with some "lol idclv32 or whatever" message, woot!).

Of course, what's really worth the marbles are the main levels.  Plodding along slowly here, doing fine....and then map 8 rolls around.  Make it to the BSK...and somehow don't die here with the minute of chaos that ensues coming up to it.

So, I'm in the clear, about to make the run up to snag the BSK and bolt out of there.  Feel free to play your choice of the Sonic drowning theme when that happens because it'll suit the build up to my death perfectly, but with fire instead of water.

DWIronman_50monstr_AnimaZero.zip

Category 1, died in map 7, 31:57 : did not survived map 33, 33:51 : survived map 35

Stupid death (as always) to an Arch-Vile because of a shoot that I missed because I was at 15% health and I was worried that a Lost Soul would kill me (so my brain told me to kill the Arch-Vile and the Lost soul at the same time).
For map 33, I had bad luck with the Cyber Demon. I wanted him to kill the other enemies but I didn't had the time to avoid his shoot.
Map 35 was straight forward, just using the Plasma Gun until nobody move.

So, uhhh.... ummmm.... well...

I didn't survive any of the levels.

Cat 1, 39 monsters killed on map01, 56 monsters killed on map35, and, being the absolute master of everything that I dabble in, I didn't even record the kill count on map33.

Worst Ironman Ever.

I swear I usually am better than this!

Well, whatever. Enjoy your free points, people?

Edited by HexaDoken : there is a day when I learn not to forget to specify category. Today is not that day