Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Thunder Force 4 was for me not as enjoyable as Thunder Force 3. The only issue I had with Thunder Force 3 was that the bosses had barely any health, and were easily taken out far too quickly. Thunder Force 4 went in the exact opposite direction, giving gargantuan levels of health to the bosses. Half of them aren't even difficult, they just take forever to finish, and that gets pretty boring. The difficulty, in general, was just all over the place here. And the final boss seemed to take an eternity to finish off. 

I still have no idea what these games are even about. The poor English translations don't help much. 

Edited by Ajora

10 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I like Hammerwatch, but yeah it could use more enemy variety and overall content. It does have a workshop though, and they recently made a new game that looks like it addresses most complaints, so that's something to consider if you like the original.

I'm quite amazed Hammerwatch is a popular game. Well I'm amazed the genre has enough popularity to let Hammerwatch be a popular game. Do people like slow, grinds of a game that go no where? Its just so slow and dull. I think in 90 minutes we made it through 3 levels to the first boss. The archer feels like by far the best character due to the range alone.

I fell into some sort of glitch where I had the chat window open when we went to the next floor... so the chat window was just stuck open. I had to exit the multiplayer session and restart it. Luckily my friend was the host.

Speaking of game glitches. The same friend and I played Chaos Engine as I mentioned earlier... well you can pause it during the pre game demo. You just can't unpause it. Well that seems like a giant issue. You need to close out the game and re-open it.

1 hour ago, Rosh Fragger said:

Need For Speed: Payback. Oh man, it's epic!

Definitely an improvement over NFS2015, but it's lost the spirit from my point of view, the new games don't feel like they're NFS anymore.

6 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Definitely an improvement over NFS2015, but it's lost the spirit from my point of view, the new games don't feel like they're NFS anymore.

I believe this is the first time we get to see the actual Protagonist/s of the game. So it's something quite new and fresh imo, and will attract newer players to the franchise. There is definitely more to this game than just the racing aspect, and I can't wait to progress further into the story lol.

It's a fresh start, and is gonna be pretty different from the good ol' NFS games that we know and love; Players are gonna feel like they're in some Need For Speed movie, and not just racing from point A to B.

1 hour ago, Rosh Fragger said:

I believe this is the first time we get to see the actual Protagonist/s of the game. So it's something quite new and fresh imo, and will attract newer players to the franchise. There is definitely more to this game than just the racing aspect, and I can't wait to progress further into the story lol.

It's a fresh start, and is gonna be pretty different from the good ol' NFS games that we know and love; Players are gonna feel like they're in some Need For Speed movie, and not just racing from point A to B.

And honestly this is exactly one of the problems, this is not what NFS has ever been about, except high speed chases and street racing. A fresh start for new generations perhaps, but hardly a go for long time fans. NFS died after Pro Street for me, and after Black Box was closed it was a clear indication dark times are upon the franchise... the last NFS I played, enjoyed, and bought is MW2012 but even that is just Burnout rebranded despite being a solid game. The 2010 Hot Pursuit reboot was also very solid.

The problem is, I'm not even sure the new studios have a clear vision for where the series is heading to with all these changes they're doing and new elements they're introducing. Black Box had a solid vision that was made very clear since the very beginning, with the series reboot Underground back in 2003. I wish I could say the same about NFS2015 and it being damn good... but it's just a mixed bag of much poorer executed (and recycled) ideas. And I don't know whether the new studios are risk takers either, which is also something BB made very clear with Pro Street that brought a very different experience from everything that was done in the series until that point and was very ambitious with great attention to detail. Too bad people didn't appreciate the game back in its day... I still remember retarded "critics" who criticized the game for "lack of cops" . Seriously, lack of cops in an NFS game with a very different vision behind it and where racing isn't illegal? Morons...

You'd probably think I'm either stuck in the past, nostalgic, or a BB fanboy. Well no, it's none of that, but the quality just isn't the same, not for me anyway, let alone the relevance of the franchise... Change was needed for sure (although BB did experiment quite a bit despite some games ending up unappreciated at their time), but there's just literally nothing that raises my interest in the most recent installments, I watched a full walkthrough of 2015 when it came out and some gameplay vids of Payback and that's as far as things go for me. I'd like to know what happens in PB until the very end so I'll probably watch a walkthrough of it as well, but I'll likely have to force myself for this a little. Sad to see a series I grew up with going downhill, ironically around the exact same time it did a decade ago when Carbon, Pro Street and Undercover were released, only that this time around the series also missed a solid start. It probably wouldn't have gone downhill back then honestly, but EA being EA with their incredibly strict development time, starting with Carbon the games began looking noticeably rushed, and due to this their true potential was never reached (you'd be shocked to know how much was cut from Carbon for instance).

Edited by Agent6

I got back to playing Unturned. It is alot more tedious than i remembered. I forgot how annoying it is to die by some random asshole who steals your gear or being chased by a swarm of zombies and then barely escaping them, only to be killed by a single zombie that snuck behind you and kill you. Although, I guess the most absolutely frustrating part about the game is not claiming a bed near a dangerous area, then having one of the two previously mentioned things happen to you, then realizing right after you die that you forgot to claim a bed near the area.

This is why I stopped playing multiplayer.

I am playing through Deus Ex Invisible War since I found an unofficial patch which implements widescreen mode. This game seems to get a lot of flak but I am enjoying it so far despite how dated it may seem for even its own time.

1 hour ago, BJ34 said:

I've just solved Fallout 3 and now I'm playing an Fallout: New Vegas

What's you opinion on weapon/apparel breakage and repair? Do you like it? Tolerate it? Hate it?

The other day I remembered Team Fortress 2 was a thing and decided to give it a go. It's been years since the last time I had so much fun with a multiplayer game, I have to say. Heavy is my guy. Absorbing tons of damage and not worrying about reloading is my kind of thing, heh. Fuck spies though, they're insanely annoying (and make you paranoid!).

I also played an indie platformer called Squirm. Fun game with cool aesthetics and humor that's the opposite of what you'd expect, considering the game's look. It's a shame that some great games are getting so little attention thanks to Steam Direct.

@KVELLER I love the Soldier in TF2, probably cause of my Quake memories with the original mod. The Original is still the best RL in an FPS ever too.

2 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

@KVELLER I love the Soldier in TF2, probably cause of my Quake memories with the original mod. The Original is still the best RL in an FPS ever too.

Speaking of which, I came across a guy that had a Quake 1 skin for the rocket launcher, sounds included. I laughed my ass off when I saw that lol.

Currently playing through the original Prince of Persia (the DOS version). I've never actually managed to complete it within 1h and I want to be able to say I got through the whole thing.

@KVELLER Yep that's 'The Original' lol.

I recently picked up the Killing Floor collection (first game and all DLC) and played an hour last night with my S/O, fun game. I also recently started on Raptor: Call of the Shadows (Classic Edition), and The Reckoning for Quake II. Been playing Doom in Crispy Doom to take screenies.

On 01.04.2018 at 7:23 AM, Avoozl said:

I am playing through Deus Ex Invisible War since I found an unofficial patch which implements widescreen mode. This game seems to get a lot of flak but I am enjoying it so far despite how dated it may seem for even its own time.

The flak it's been getting is largely understandable, not because it looked dated but largely because of its questionable design decisions and crossplatforming issues resulting in cramped tiny levels, fairly short overall playtime (I guess we all remember how huge the original DX actually is) and overall simplification of pretty much everything, among other, less significant things, so yes, DXIW is objectively weaker than its great predecessor. In that regard its "sibling" that is Thief: Deadly Shadows managed better by swapping "lost" elements with something else worth praising.

Of course it doesn't mean that it's a bad game per se, and if anything - I believe its storytelling and overall approach to moral questions and courses of action definitely deserve some applause. Whereas MJ12 as a whole and Bob Page in particular are undoubtedly scumbags and mass murderers in DX, and DXHR/DXMD largely paints the Illuminati black in that they're ruthless and greedy for power so that the players shouldn't have any real incentive to feel sympathy for them unless they're megalomaniacs themselves - there are no good or bad guys in DXIW, it's all about shades of grey and bright ideals that outweigh (or do they? you decide) ethically questionable methods of trying to reach for them; each major faction's motives are understandable, and different players can certainly feel more sympathetic towards one or another. That's very cool actually, and makes for at least one aspect of that game that's much more deep and complex than it may seem, with layers of "second bottoms", even if other aspects are lacking in both depth and practical implementation compared to other games of the franchise. It's a very good thing when a videogame raises some mature questions and gives its players some food for thought.

And of course there's an obvious extra bonus in the form of an opportunity to kill or otherwise ruin a significant part of the original DX's key characters including its protagonist. All hail the Omar.

I finished Final Fantasy Legend 2 in 13 hours. The stupid amount of enemies and the fact they literally always went first killed any fun the game had 6.5/10

I also finished mini Doom 2. 10/10 Damn good game. They forgot the cyberdemon and still managed to include anything and everything you could ever think of. So much better than the first.

Lizard is up on the chopping block. 4.5/10 I finished it, and its a new NES game... I don't like it. The game is an empty shell, with good music and vacant art at best. I went through it in 30 minutes. The whole thing. Its mind blowing this took someone 4 years and a Kickstarter to make. I hear how tough NES is to program, but there's just nothing to the game. Wander around and find the final boss.

Completed Halloween '85, which is another new NES game with a lot of flaws.  7.5/10 Flaws like slippery run mechanics instead of run button lets you run. Despite the flaws I had a lot of fun playing this one. The enemies are so slow and your jump is so high you only need to jump over the foes. Even brawling with enemies, your uppercut does the damage of 2 or so punches, so why use anything else? Its a new NES game with a lot of atmosphere.

Now I'm back to trying to finish Lego Star Wars Saga for whatever reason. Why am I doing this. I hated it in "episode 1," I have grown to hate it even more now that I've reached the end of "episode 3." Knowing there's still 3 more episodes of this chore is a daunting task. They let me play as Yoda and Chewie... wow Yoda exacerbates how unfun the game is.

21 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Speaking of which, I came across a guy that had a Quake 1 skin for the rocket launcher, sounds included. I laughed my ass off when I saw that lol.

That's "the Original." In the player's HUD its lined up straight rather than on the shoulder.

Super mario bros. on nes... would love to say on console but nope, emulator is the one and only

BallisticNG. Five bucks worth of fifth-generation greatness. Also mod support.

Spoiler

Although why the game awarded me a bronze medal for coming first, I can't quite fathom.

Edited by scalliano

Started Portal of Praevus, and before I could finish blinking it was over. Whereas Hexen 2's hubs were pretty tough to crack, Portal of Praevus was extremely linear and easy to get through. Most of the necessary puzzle pieces were very close to the areas where you needed to place them. And while I felt that the Necromancer was a bit underpowered, the Demoness seemed a bit overpowered. Although it was slightly annoying that the aiming reticle was off for her. I never did figure out what the Incense of Enlightenment was for, but I guess I didn't need it. 

This expansion was fine, but as with Hexen 2, I don't think anything about it is really going to stick with me.

Raven's expansions aren't really known for innovating beyond the established formula, they're very much for the die-hard fans. But it's a competently made expansion and it concludes the events in the original game, so it was nice enough for what it was. But yeah, the Demoness' ultimate weapon was OP.

Just finished my second playthrough of Dishonored 2's Death of the Outsider.   Not sure what I'll go back to right now, probably something a little less tense like Fallout4 again or might just replay The Godfather on the 360--that was stupidly fun.

Doom '16 multiplayer

...trying to SURVIVE IN GODDAMN HUNT: SHOWDOWN!

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

I never did figure out what the Incense of Enlightenment was for, but I guess I didn't need it.

That's an item you need to "cleanse your thoughts" IIRC. It's just an item you need to progress in the game.

After finishing Max Payne for the first time in ages yesterday I have moved on to Max Payne 2. I actually bought a physical copy of MP2 online over a week ago and I just got it in the mail today, so now I legitimately own the game.

Of course I don't like the second installment as much as the first but I still enjoy it for what it is, but I can't say the same for the third installment as unlike most others I don't really enjoy the large departure from what the first two games were like.

Edited by Avoozl

16 hours ago, scalliano said:

BallisticNG. Five bucks worth of fifth-generation greatness. Also mod support.

Reveal hidden contents

Although why the game awarded me a bronze medal for coming first, I can't quite fathom.

Fan games are great, because I would have never looked at this otherwise.

On 02.04.2018 at 1:01 PM, Manuel-K said:

What's you opinion on weapon/apparel breakage and repair? Do you like it? Tolerate it? Hate it?

I always repair my weapons by same weapons. And I like it. 

Oh, what a pity that in reality even simple things I can't repair.

Another foray into Suicidal difficulty in KF2, courtesy of the Tiny Terror weekly objective. It's the opposite of Beefcake; enemies shrink when they lose health (and also have shrill voices to boot). Firebug was the recommended Perk to use so I don't have to hit shrinking pinheads. A big update for KF2 also brought two new weapons for that Perk, so even more reason to fire it up.

The Incendiary MAC-10 is pretty good for lighting up distant enemies with single taps. It also does well against a flame-based enemy who's fairly resistant to most of the Firebug's weapons. The Fireball Cannon is straight-up overpowered, from the damage to the blast radius to the giant amount of reserve ammo. Plus the Firebug has high resistance to his own weapons, so shooting the ground around him to clear away a mob of annoying is a viable move. At least for Solo, all of the big enemies are mostly trivialized with the Fireball Cannon, where previously they were very hard to defeat with the Firebug's emphasis on damage-over-time. There's also a new weapon for the Gunslinger, a double-barrelled 1911 that's supposed to be more forgiving than the .500 Magnum but requires more headshots for big enemies.

The so-called new enemy is just the booster enemy I described before, now with an armored vest and helmet that look like they were found and welded together from a scrapyard. Not too big of a change, just an additional shot for the Perks that revolve around spike damage.

The update added an optional Stand Your Ground objective in the base game, where you and your squadmates defend a random location on the map for an entire wave. You are given an incentive to SYG with additional XP for your current Perk, extra Dosh for new weapons, and points to cash in for a random cosmetic. I don't care for the extra Perk XP, the extra Dosh is only really needed in the early waves, the cosmetic points are very little and the rewards only scale with wave length regardless of difficulty. Open areas are defensible with a good team, but cramped indoors with few avenues are certain death traps especially once the big enemies start spawning in. I'm not a fan of this mechanic, but I do think it's a start for the groundwork of an Objective gamemode like in the first game.

I haven't tried Endless mode yet; I'm not a fan of arena-type modes that go on until I fail it. I'm sure I'll get most of the limited-time cosmetics at some point. I just hope they don't nerf the Fireball Cannon before then.

Later: Oh, come the hell on. I kill the Patriarch on a sunny beach to complete the weekly objective on Suicidal, but then I get boxed in a country-dark farmhouse and killed by King Shit and his mountain of turd minions on Normal? Oh well, at least the cosmetic I got looks pretty cool. Now a choice: Berserker or Firebug?

Spoiler

20180406193214_1.jpg.f5ab9c34714b5e3b7f99fe86c009c804.jpg

Edited by Chow Yun Thin : because King Shit of Turd Mountain