Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

What if ID started working on a DOOM3.wad?

A sequel in the molds of the classic engine, like Doom 2. What new features would you like to see? New monsters, weapons, textures, bugs fixed, etc.

Would you prefer an episodic structure or a 32 map megawad like DOOM 2? Or maybe something unlike both.

Plutonia+TNT+Doom64=Doom 3...maybe...

Many says that Doom 64 is like an unofficial sequel of Doom 2, which I can agree to some extent because, as a standalone game, it manages to create an unique feel to it but...that's up to the player's perspective.

Also, it's perfectly fine that someone would have made a wad in that time before the game was released...

They probably won't because Doom 3 was a big title for its time and it'd be stupid to release 2 products with the same name especially when they look nothing alike.

I would like it to be more like ZDCMP2 in terms of map structure. New maps and new monsters would be nice too I guess.

Alternatively, we could have something like Doom 64 but with the entire cast still in the game. 

Edited by Zulk RS : Typo

fixes to flow concepts:

a cubic grid of locations to visit instead of a linear level progression, each map in that grid having multiple exits

you just have to get to some of the corners of the grid which are critical locations in the main scenario, maybe, and the maps on the edges of the cube are harder

mark some maps as "action", some as "boss", some as "exploration", some as "find critical weapon" etc so the player makes their own path based on the sort of person they are

also add the quake 2 +1 MAX HEALTH "Adrenaline" bonus which is still a really neat idea

fixes to gameplay concepts:

multiple redrawn versions of each monster which vary the stats a little or signify "this explodes when it dies" or what have you

add ROTT/Quake-style traps which own

create literally a thousand new decorative props, not all of them based around death and gore for a change

fixes to internal concepts:

upgrade from MIDI to sample tracking formats like 669 or MOD which they could have embraced at the time tbh (mt-32 worshippers are from a weird land)

and ideally make the palette slightly less saturated

First of all, get rid of the infinite height bug. Please.

I think it'd be neat if it used GZDoom or a similar engine, featuring 3D floors, slopes, etc. as well as 3D-accelerated graphics. New monsters are always welcome, as well as a couple new weapons. I think I'd prefer the game to be a continuous thing instead of it being episodic, and having maps balanced for continuous play would be cool.

I'd probably prefer something that's basically just a levelset (probably Doom 2 styled). New monsters and art would be nice, though I wouldn't expect it, a project like this in the modern era probably wouldn't be top priority (actually, what is id even working on these days...) If they started bringing in gzd era features, I just can't help but think it'd make more sense to work with a newer engine and game.

I honestly wouldn't enjoy these new features such as GZDoom-related ones... I think they should stick with limit-removing limits with some new linedef actions and stuff. Things would've need to be fresh but nostalgic. It would be cool to see lots of new textures, as long as they kept with some classic ones and the new ones still had that "abstract" feel. I would be against changing monster sprites, though, but new monsters with new behaviors (at least 5 new unique monsters) + new weapons (at least 2) and powerups would definetly be appreciated.

Anyway, It's definetly unlikely that something like this would happen, though, but I believe the chances now are much bigger than before (with the indies games + new DOOM being successful). IMO, it would be really cool if ID revived the old formula/engine and tried to do a new official IWAD. It would definetly sell well and it wouldn't cost too much (although a low budget would probably mean a product inferior to the classic DOOMs)

They would need to extend the engine far more and remove any limitations making the engine support both 3d sprites and 2d models and more advanced features

7 minutes ago, CaptainManiac said:

They would need to extend the engine far more and remove any limitations making the engine support both 3d sprites and 2d models and more advanced features

I actually don't think 3D sprites are necessary. Maybe add more angles to every 2D sprite?

1 hour ago, Deadwing said:

It would definetly sell well and it wouldn't cost too much (although a low budget would probably mean a product inferior to the classic DOOMs)

Because of more advanced software like SLADE3 and Doom Builder, I think they would be able get more work done for less money compared to the 90s. They would be able to do a lot even within strictly vanilla limitations. There are a lot of high quality megawads out there that were made with little to no budget so I don't think a smaller budget would necessarily mean the product will be worse than Doom or Doom 2.

Would probably cause a lot of headaches for all those people still using c. 2000-era Doom Legacy as their source port of choice

Adding onto most of these points mentioned above (with regards to the engine and such), some moar weapons:

- Short range flamethrower (the beggar's plasma rifle, five times longer chainsaw, with afterburn).

- Another pistol for dual wielding (somehow change the chaingun so that dual pistols can be a legit gameplay tactic instead of a replacement).

- Grenades, like in actual Doom 3, for some arc-following explosions and crowd controlling (making rocket launchers a good counter for single more buffed monsters and having the grenades deal with small hordes of mobs).

- Having another melee weapon (besides the fists) and adding "ammo" for the chainsaw (and buffing the chainsaw so that it's worth it's fuel >:) ).

Possible enemy:

- A enemy that would be the same as a Hell Baron is for imps but for the poor pinkies (a melee walking door basically).

- A stationary turret-like enemy (possibly a hellish, flesh-infused-with-the-floor monster or a possesed turret).

- Some tiny assholes similar to the robo-spider thingies in Strife, who you wouldn't notice until they are already on you.

- Probably a summoner-type of enemy which instead of reviving peeps like Archvile does, it just spawns in lower-tier enemies to charge at you (imps and pinkos), something akin to the Icon Of Sin, maybe call it a "Fragment"?

Where the story would take place and how the plot goes, I currently have no idea. But, I guess, with my ideas, Doom can be a bit more colorful than usual.

38 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Would probably cause a lot of headaches for all those people still using c. 2000-era Doom Legacy as their source port of choice

Wut? What people are you talking about...aside from maybe the srb2 community?

Sometimes I used to play the Doom4Ever mod on 3DGE and pretended I was playing Doom 3 as it would be if released in 1997. Well ... you need to be playing a good megawad, too.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

It is not a bug.

It's a feature.

In all seriousness, it's pretty annoying, regardless of whether it was intended or not.

Regardless of any other sort of monster/weapon addons, we'd probably see something taking advantage of the features Raven added for Hexen: jumping and freelook would be in as a feature, ACS to expand what the engine was capable of, probably some multi-level hub maps. At least, that's how I'd see it if we were talking iD from circa 1996/97 or so.

Modern iD, who knows. I'd suspect they'd stick to their own custom engine, rather than fork GZDoom or something, so as to make it more readily available for console purchase. In that case, I'd suspect we'd see more of a throwback release, ala No Rest for the Living. maybe with one new weapon and a couple new monsters. Maybe split into 3 episodes, to mirror a callback to the original Doom (and for another 3 reference).

10 hours ago, Pegg said:

They probably won't because Doom 3 was a big title for its time and it'd be stupid to release 2 products with the same name especially when they look nothing alike.

Remind me what the latest entry into the series is called?

16 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Remind me what the latest entry into the series is called?

Lol while true am pretty sure a Doom 3 out of nowhere would confuse people way more than Doom 2016!

20 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3. Fight me.

I agree. Eventhough I like classic doom's BFG better, doom 64 does many "better" in the "right" way.

Final Doom was like an expansion pack to Doom 2. And Doom 64 was a spin-off title for the N64. None of these are sequels.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

In all seriousness, it's pretty annoying, regardless of whether it was intended or not.

Absolutely it's annoying, but so are a lot of other things that aren't bugs (Captcha comes to mind).  It's a limitation, same as the lack of up/down mouselook, jumping and crouching.

As far as the OP goes, the only thing I really wish was core to the game is a weak flying enemy with a ranged attack - something at or just below the Imp in terms of toughness, but quicker moving and not ground bound.  It's the only real gap in the bestiary, to my mind.

(A more satisfying end boss than a hole in the wall would probably also be good, if you were actually making a doom3.wad, but that's not something I personally regret not having when I'm making levels - a flying imp type enemy is)

If you are going to have a weak and fast flying enemy then they will have to come in packs. Then you need to get rid of the infinite height bullshit!

Was that an optimisation or what? 

51 minutes ago, VGA said:

If you are going to have a weak and fast flying enemy then they will have to come in packs. Then you need to get rid of the infinite height bullshit!

Cacos already come in packs*, and work just fine** with infinite tallness.

* Cacoswarms are love.  Love the cacoswarm.  Embrace its flying tomato monster goodness.

** for certain definitions of "just fine", anyway :)

Edit To Add: on a more serious note (not that Cacoswarms aren't serious business, because I do love them), but I don't actually agree with the premise that weak, fast flying enemies "have to" come in packs.  Having them in small numbers as free-roaming ambushers would be a role to which they were very well suited.

Edited by Capellan

I would love a nice burst-fire assault rifle for longer ranged work in the vein of D2016's burst rifle. Maybe an enemy toting it too; an armored former human with 50 something health and a green shirt.

For that matter, basic former humans really need an official pistol reskin. It's always bugged me that their assault rifle is totally unusable and also totally lame in their hands.

12 hours ago, Capellan said:

Absolutely it's annoying, but so are a lot of other things that aren't bugs (Captcha comes to mind).  It's a limitation, same as the lack of up/down mouselook, jumping and crouching.

However, Heretic and Hexen showed us that the engine is capable of doing all of those things (sans crouching) as well as removing infinite height. It's a limitation that could've been removed (or at least it seems like it).