Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka 1.21 Released

I seem to have found a couple of bugs while making my map :/ First off values of 0 are automatically deleted for unknown action type arguments which has caught me out several times lately when I am trying to use a feature which eureka itself doesn't technically support like dynamic lights for example. And I found a node/sector builder bug which causes a crash, basically I am building a sloped cave leading to an underground geothermal plant right, and I found that the curved slope I was trying to create was too steep and so has a jagged drop off on the inside of the corner so i tried to remedy this by making a triangle sector there with a less aggressive slope to ease the transition, well when I went to draw it I got an error that said "bug detected: tried to create 0 length line" followed immediately by a crash, luckily I had saved about a minute beforehand... I had the grid size at 32 btw, trying to draw it again after putting the grid to something smaller like 8 worked fine so it might be something with that

Edit: oh, and the secret area tag is mislabeled when using hexen format, it is labeled as 9 when it is actually 1024. This needs to be fixed too

Edited by therektafire

I don't know how many commits you've made since I last posted but I found a crash bug that is basically 100% reproducible. It seems like if there are too many things on screen at once in 3d mode eureka always crashes, I realized this because in my 4800 hell knights map I have a road which has lots of lights on it since there is a bridge and tunnel leading to the parking lot of an underground UAC base and whenever I go to the part of the tunnel near the beginning, face towards the parking lot area, and start flying forward it always crashes 100% of the time and it did not do that in a previous version of the map meaning it must be the stuff that I added recently that is the issue

While this thread is bumped I'd like to note that the default thing flags for Hexen mapping are kind of sub-optimal, namely that when you place a thing the class and game mode flags are all set to off which results in the thing never appearing unless you manually turn some of them on.  Having them default to all being on would be better.

Oh god yeah that has tripped me up several times, I'm always like "I put this damn thing down, why is it not showing up", and then I remember "oh yeah, things aren't set to spawn in hexen format by default in this editor..."

And of course there's the issue of the sector specials being *completely* wrong, for some reason the vanilla sector specials are listed when in reality they are very different in hexen format (for example I think secrets are 1024 not 9, and light oscillates is 1 not 8), I can't even get something simple like pain sectors to work because I don't know what the special number is since the wrong ones are shown ;_;

On 2/3/2018 at 3:13 PM, therektafire said:

I don't know how many commits you've made since I last posted but I found a crash bug that is basically 100% reproducible. It seems like if there are too many things on screen at once in 3d mode eureka always crashes, I realized this because in my 4800 hell knights map I have a road which has lots of lights on it since there is a bridge and tunnel leading to the parking lot of an underground UAC base and whenever I go to the part of the tunnel near the beginning, face towards the parking lot area, and start flying forward it always crashes 100% of the time and it did not do that in a previous version of the map meaning it must be the stuff that I added recently that is the issue

I've found a similar problem in certain parts of a map I was working on. I never noticed if it happened at the same spot, but I think it was around the same area, because I would hesitate and think, "Is it going to crash somewhere around here?"

You can turn off things in 3D by pressing o. If it is indeed too many things on the screen, that should help reduce the likelihood of a crash.

Uh, found another bug, and this is a weird one... So I had the idea of editing the thing texture and action special definition files to do things like add half assed "support" for Decorate actors and create additional texture or thing groups. Here's the problem though... whenever you save the file- and you don't even have to do ANY edits on the file for this glitch to happen, you just have to save it- it gets corrupted and causes Eureka to crash on load saying that line 1 is an "unknown directive" when in reality it is actually a comment line. I have never seen this kind of bug on a program before when trying to edit config files o_o. I wonder if it has something to do with the difference between unix compliant and dos compliant text formatting (there are some minute differences iirc) and me being on a Windows system while the program itself was created and tested on a Linux one. Does this happen with anyone else?

Windows and Unix-line systems use different representations of line endings, so maybe that's the problem. If you're not doing so already you might try to use an editor that is aware of those differences, like Notepad++.

3 minutes ago, boris said:

Windows and Unix-line systems use different representations of line endings, so maybe that's the problem. If you're not doing so already you might try to use an editor that is aware of those differences, like Notepad++.

That is indeed what is happening, I already figured that out :D I had a pretty strong suspicion that that is what it was since the error was occurring on a line I hadn't edited but I just took two copies of the file into a hex editor to see if there were any differences and low and behold the copy I saved in Notepad has extra bytes at the beginning and I assume elsewhere after every new line too. When I went to make the edits originally i didn't think that would even be an issue since I figured @andrewj had formatted that copy of the configs for Windows already. I guess I was wrong lol

I have a question about compiling eureka on windows, it's probably a pretty dumb question but I'm not a very experienced programmer so I don't know what to do exactly so I'm going to ask it anyway :D. So in the install.txt file it mentions that you need FLTK 1.3, specifically libfltk1.3-dev. BUT I can't find that file on the website linked to in the txt, just source code zips. The "lib" makes me think you need the compiled library but I don't see a download for that, do you need to compile fltk itself first or is there a place you can get it precompiled because if there is I'm not seeing it :/

edit: oh and would it be particularly advisable to compile with the newest version of fltk or *specifically* 1.3?

Since @andrewj has returned, I thought that it would be nice to assemble a list of the bugs and other issues found in v. 1.21 in one place (these were reported by a combination of @therektafire, @Jon, @ETTiNGRiNDER, @printz, and me):

• values of 0 are automatically deleted for unknown action type arguments
  • "bug detected: tried to create 0 length line" which seemed to be a node/sector builder error related to changing a sloped line
  • vanilla sector specials in Hexen are mislabeled
    • the secret area tag is labeled as 9 when it is actually 1024
    • light oscillates is 1 not 8
  • too many things on screen at once in 3d mode eureka always crashes
  • the default thing flags for Hexen mapping are kind of sub-optimal, namely that when you place a thing the class and game mode flags are all set to off which results in the thing never appearing unless you manually turn some of them on.  Having them default to all being on would be better.
  • So I had the idea of editing the thing texture and action special definition files to do things like add half assed "support" for Decorate actors and create additional texture or thing groups. Here's the problem though... whenever you save the file- and you don't even have to do ANY edits on the file for this glitch to happen, you just have to save it- it gets corrupted and causes Eureka to crash on load saying that line 1 is an "unknown directive" when in reality it is actually a comment line.
  • How do I delete sidedefs from a linedef? Whenever I copy-paste something from inside the game outside, I also copy the second sidedefs pointing back to the old sectors, and I don't want them. I see no [X] button to delete them. So how do I do it?
  • when a bug is detected, it automatically crashes the program (which is a problem because you lose all of the changes you made to the map since your last save)

Things to improve:

• dynamic lights are not supported
  • when selecting a one-sided linedef, an "add" button for the second sidedef. Eureka could make a best-guess as to what sector to assign it to (I think it has that heuristic elsewhere already) but I could supply my own too. Quite often when joining sectors together I end up in situations with a stray one-sided linedef between two sectors.
    • this feature was available in v. 1.11 (at least the manual creation and entry portion, I don't think Eureka made a best guess)
  • Some way to say "next free tag number" rather than having to keep track in my head, or guess!
  • Undo/Redo is great; it would be greater if you could label the actions that you are undoing/redoing (undo delete thing, redo change mid-tex, etc.)
  • an autosave file would be nice, in case of crashes/power outages/etc.

I think that's everything from this thread.

I also wanted to add that @beast and others have started a crowd-sourced manual for Eureka.

On 1/15/2017 at 5:10 AM, boris said:

I noticed that the editor slows down a lot on big maps when flat drawing is enabled :(

On 3/15/2017 at 5:41 PM, Catoptromancy said:

Hopefully can turn off flats in the future, so Eureka stays lightning fast.

I know it's been over a year since those posts were made, so this response is likely obsolete, but this is what I found to try to deal with that problem. You likely already know it, but perhaps it would assist someone new.

• In 2D, go to Sector Rendering (in the View menu) and change to "Nothing"
  • In 3D, press "t" to turn off all textures

I hadn't mention it in this thread, which I why I'm adding it as a separate post, but I just received an error. I was editing for vanilla. I had added a sector inside an existing sector (it was a small sector that was supposed to hold monsters for a teleport trap). I added the sectors, the monsters, the lindefs that would be the teleport lines, and was checking tag numbers of nearby lines when I received this fatal error and then Eureka closed:

Assertion (is_linedef(obj)) failed in function SolidMask (/Users/ioan/dezvoltare/cross/eureka-editor/src/ui_linedef.cc:926)

Has anyone else ever seen this or know what would cause it?

6 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Assertion (is_linedef(obj)) failed in function SolidMask

I've had this and the tried to create 0 length line error but I'm not sure what causes it... one time I had a crash when I placed a vertex out in the void and decided I didn't want it to be there so I ctrl-z'ed it and boom crash. One time I was making edits to one of my speedmaps and I was literally just scrolling in the 2d view and it crashed (I believe it was the solid mask error though I don't remember since I didn't take a screenshot and I don't think I kept the log). And I remember one time I was testing out the Nova 3 textures back when I first learned about it and I was working on an area, and it wasn't even one with that many things in it, and I went to the 3d view to see how it looked and after I planned the camera around a little bit it randomly crashed and it didn't even give an error pop up, there was just the standard windows "eureka has stopped responding".

12 hours ago, therektafire said:

One time I was making edits to one of my speedmaps and I was literally just scrolling in the 2d view and it crashed

I went to the 3d view to see how it looked and after I planned the camera around a little bit it randomly crashed and it didn't even give an error pop up, there was just the standard windows "eureka has stopped responding".

Exactly. As I recall, I had started scrolling in 2D to look at the tag numbers in a different area when I got the SolidMask crash.

I have also gotten the error in 3D view where Eureka just locked up and crashed. I use a Mac, so the error log (as I recall) said something about a Kernel error, but that's all I can remember.

A nice idea on the bug list @Pegleg.

If we can reproduce any crashes I could run it through gdb and perhaps get a more detailed trace of the problem. I have looked at the Eureka source somewhat, I am no C-programmer (mostly Lua) but I can investigate some.

I have been incommunicado for the past month as I have been abroad in Australia for work. 

On 6/4/2018 at 1:25 AM, Pegleg said:
  • Some way to say "next free tag number" rather than having to keep track in my head, or guess!

For what it's worth there is a shortcut to apply the next free tag to your selection, hit META-f (for fresh) and META-l (for last/highest used tag). Meta would be the ";" key.

I was away from DoomWorld for a long while, not sure I'm really "back" but while I'm here I'll answer as many things as I can -- starting with the most recent things and going back in time.

For a free tag number, easiest way is to select the sector or linedef, then use the "Check / Tags" command in the menus.  There will be a line at the bottom with an "Apply" button.  The other way was mentioned: pressing ; followed by f.

The "SolidMask" crash -- it was reported a while ago, and I have reworked that code and I'm sure the problem cannot happen anymore (though I could never reproduce it here).

The crash which could occur in the 3D view is also fixed.  I traced that one back to the sorting code in GNU C++ STL library, though my comparator function was not strictly transitive so maybe I cannot blame the GNU folks for that.  So I wrote my own sorting function that can handle it, and I haven't seen a crash yet, but performance has taken a hit.

more later.....

values of 0 are automatically deleted for unknown action type arguments

They are not "deleted", the zero value is still there, it is just being shown as blank (since zero is the default value).

Would it be better if all 5 arguments were explictly shown for any non-zero special?  I think it would be bit uglier, but if it prevents confusion then it would be worth it.

bug detected: tried to create 0 length line

I will look into that (and at the very least, ensure it is not a fatal error).

I agree that it is not nice when a detected programming bug causes the program to shut down and for people to lose their work.  I'll try to handle them more gracefully.

Will you do anything about the game config parser apparently not liking MS DOS newlines very much? I mean yeah I guess I can just use a text editor that doesn't add those like notepad++ but I still consider it broken though considering it is also a Windows program, it should be able to read those

12 hours ago, therektafire said:

Will you do anything about the game config parser apparently not liking MS DOS newlines very much?

I have tested that here and I don't think MS-DOS newlines are the problem.  I suspect something else is happening.

If you put the problematic config file in a ZIP and attach it here, I will try to reproduce the error.

the secret area tag is labeled as 9 when it is actually 1024

The Hexen source code disagrees with you, please see the P_PlayerInSpecialSector() function in the file p_spec.c

9 is the correct sector type of secrets.

light oscillates is 1 not 8

When I use Hexen here, I see sector type 1 as "Phased Light" and there is no type 8 at all.

the default thing flags for Hexen mapping are kind of sub-optimal

That issue was fixed a while ago.

How do I delete sidedefs from a linedef?

If you hover the mouse near the linedef, the sector will be highlighted and can be deleted.

Also I plan to have a preference setting to enable the sidedef ADD and DEL buttons (they can also be enabled, in version 1.21, by directly editing the config file).

Edited by andrewj : clarification

dynamic lights are not supported

Do you mean the 3D view does not light up sectors (etc) from the dynamic lights?

Or do you mean that the ZDoom config is missing some thing types?

If it is the former, then I can say that rendering dynamic lighting in Eureka's purely software renderer is simply not feasible.

Undo/Redo is great; it would be greater if you could label the actions that you are undoing/redoing (undo delete thing, redo change mid-tex, etc.)

The names of actions are already remembered, and can be seen in the status bar (at very bottom right side of the window) whenever you invoke the Undo or Redo commands.  For example, after doing Undo it may say "Undo: deleted 4 things".

Where else should the message be?

an autosave file would be nice, in case of crashes/power outages/etc

I guess this autosave file would be separate from the current file?

Anyway, idea noted.

Ok I think that covers everything from Pegleg's summary.  But I will keep looking back in time for anything else....

6 hours ago, andrewj said:

I guess this autosave file would be separate from the current file?

Anyway, idea noted.

When you're working in Office (Word, Excel, etc.), the program automatically saves a recovery file periodically, so if the power goes out or your computer restarts or whatever causes the program to abruptly close, you don't lose all your work. The next time you open that program, you're shown a list of the files that were saved and whether you want to keep them. If you do, they're "FILE X (RECOVERY).docx" or whatever and you can save them as whatever you want.

That's the sort of thing I had in mind, but it wouldn't need to be as elaborate as that, but something might be nice.

By the way, thank you very much for looking into all of these issues and working to address them.

18 hours ago, andrewj said:

I have tested that here and I don't think MS-DOS newlines are the problem.  I suspect something else is happening.

If you put the problematic config file in a ZIP and attach it here, I will try to reproduce the error.

Ok here is the problematic file. It is pretty easy to reproduce at least for me, basically all I did was delete the # in the beginning and inserted a new # and it broke, nbot sure why but it did. I used Notepad to edit it btw

doom_things.zip

Ok so now I have discovered another weird thing. Apparently I can edit some configs just fine, like I just added all the point light types in GZDoom to the zdoom config and it loads that just fine. So I don't know what is causing doom_things to not be read properly when it gets saved when it will work with other files, I'm thinking that there might be a bug in your init code since obviously the iwads are loaded first thing and they are Doom format, maybe check there next to see if there are any issues

9 hours ago, therektafire said:

Ok here is the problematic file. It is pretty easy to reproduce at least for me, basically all I did was delete the # in the beginning and inserted a new # and it broke, nbot sure why but it did. I used Notepad to edit it btw

Thanks for this.

It proved what I suspected the problem may be: NOTEPAD is adding a unicode BOM (byte order mark) to the beginning of the file, because the file uses a few unicode characters.  But Eureka's file reading code cannot handle (diffuse?) a BOM, so you get an error.

I will able to fix this now.  Hoping to get a release of Eureka with all the recent fixes out fairly soon :)

On 6/15/2018 at 2:28 AM, andrewj said:

The crash which could occur in the 3D view is also fixed.  I traced that one back to the sorting code in GNU C++ STL library, though my comparator function was not strictly transitive so maybe I cannot blame the GNU folks for that.  So I wrote my own sorting function that can handle it, and I haven't seen a crash yet, but performance has taken a hit.

While I appreciate how quickly and smoothly the 3D view in 1.21 works compared to 1.11, I would personally accept the performance hit if I didn't have to worry about the 3D view crashing periodically.

6 hours ago, andrewj said:

Hoping to get a release of Eureka with all the recent fixes out fairly soon :)

Awesome!