Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_guy88

Doom 3 anyone?

I just read here that a demo version of doom 3 has been floating around, and i was just wondering if anyone has it, and if so what is it like.

1) it isn't a demo, it is an alpha
2) posting links to it or screenshots taken from it = bannable offense
3) read the FAQ if you want to keep posting here
4) welcome to the DW forums, my name is BigBadGangsta, I'm a Super Moderator here on these here forums and I make sure everyone follows the rules. I moved your thread from the Doom General forum to the Doom 3 General forum because this is Doom 3 related, not Doom related. Please, post in the right forum. Thank you.

BBG The Smartass said:
1) it isn't a demo, it is an alpha

YES, it is a demo. What else would it be? Full release?

Yes, it is a demo, of the graphics capabilities of the engine. No, it's not a demo in the traditional sense - it was never meant to be public. Traditionally, having the title of demo would mean that it was intended to show what the real game is like. It does not do this.

Anyway, to answer the question posed in this post, it fucking owns you and your children. It is your new god.

Seriously, if you liked Half-Life, you like space-era science fiction, and you like being scared, you will fucking go nuts over this game. It's simply unbelievable.

I won't say it here, but it's worth noting that if you'd like to come on IRC I can tell you more.

Nitpickyness aside, it may be similar to a demo, but as Kat pointed out, there is that *one* little difference between a demo and an Alpha, that a demo is something that the developer releases with the intention that the public downloads it to get an impression of a game.

An Alpha is not intended for the public, only a select few people
So this leaked program was (and in a sense still is) an Alpha because it was not designed or intended for the public - that the public has got its hands around it is a totally different thing.

And I don't give two three-headed demons if you can present a shitload of smartass arguments for why it's a demo - it was intended as an Alpha and will thus always BE an Alpha in my eyes. Period.

Heh, heh, heh...to be nitpicky, dsm, "alpha" is merely a term someone came up with to indicate that it was the very first version (and later, simply a very early version) of a given program. Something can't be "an alpha"; 'alpha' in this state is an adjective. A release can be alpha (thus giving you an alpha release, natch), or, in this case, a demo can be alpha. But anyway, it's moot.

Well, it's a demo, but not a public demo. I guess that kinda sums up the last... say, four posts.

BBG confused "demo" with "beta". A "demo" can be either "alpha", or "beta". As the leaked alpha was for demonstration purposes (E3 demo), it's a "demo".

There is a reason why I NEVER use the term "demo" to denote an Alpha/beta demo - because ignorant people, will start to think that it's a full legitimate demo, which is a rather faithful presentation of what the final game will be like.
So I prefer to call it an Alpha, because it's an Alpha demo not intended for public view.

heh nicely put, well the alpha absolutely kicks ass, it goes 25 fps tops but i can live with that, and btw, almost all the bugs can be tweaked...if u have any problems come to me, cause my d/l was littered with bugs and began with a low 7fps, now its going more smoothly but eating my video card as i speak...
but one word to describe alpha: UNfuckingbelievable.
u gotta play it to see.

If its a finished demo, which they where gonna release for lets say, next week. But someone leaked it, and its out to early. Is it still a demo or not?:p

I'm new here so.. hi :)

but I've read this thread and it does not talk much about the location of the alpha/demo or whatever you wish to call it..
so

[Rest of post deleted - red. Mordeth]

TCCmp, since you're new here i'll explain it once again. Offering, asking for or linking to pirated software is against forum rules and usually earns you an instant ban. The leaked Doom alpha is no different. Please read the forum rules before posting again.

Ohh. I'm sorry.. I should probably have read the rules... so

I'll watch out for this..
(as I write this I'm clicking on forum rules ;)

I'm sorry for this inconvinience (is this spelled right??)

DOOM Anomaly said:

...**Cough Cough*Dictionary*Cough Cough**.. :D

**cough cough*not everyone has one *cough*
:-P

welcome to the DW forums, my name is BigBadGangsta, I'm a Super Moderator here on these here forums and I make sure everyone follows the rules. I moved your thread from the Doom General forum to the Doom 3 General forum because this is Doom 3 related, not Doom related. Please, post in the right forum. Thank you.

:(. I never got one of those when I joined :P. Maybe Im Unwanted :). (If you have an IQ above 20, you'd probably comprehend that im being sarcastic)

Radea` said:

:(. I never got one of those when I joined :P. Maybe Im Unwanted :). (If you have an IQ above 20, you'd probably comprehend that im being sarcastic)

wonderin..........IQ 7.5 confuzed wha mennt buy dat der talkin goin on i aints sure whats yo meen der radiator

DOOM Anomaly said:

**Cough Cough*Dictionary*Cough Cough** :P

**Cough Cough*Winword**Cough Cough* :P

/me gets Doom Anomaly some cough drops