Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom with PBR materials

How do these look ingame? I don't know what these PBR materials are, do they reflect, does lighting show on them as if they aren't flat or what?

I assume you can add more advanced materials to your textures now like normal maps and specular/reflection maps to make the textures look more realistic... or well at least as realistic as a doom texture is going to look

33 minutes ago, Reinchard said:

PBR allows you to achieve physically compatible materials based on scanned values like IOR, roughness/glossiness, specular reflection. So this is exactly what we see in modern game engines like UE4 o CE5. And yep - this is now working with Doom xD

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_based_rendering

Sounds cool.  Is it similar to when working on 3D texturing when using "procedural textures" vs image textures?

This is insanely cool :D I'm looking forward to see what people do with this in the future.

I would like to see a little proof of concept map for this new stuff :D

This is all total madness, in a good way!

While I'm not sure it works for doom itself, if you wanted to make a very nice looking FPS PC game then that point is irrelevant, surely time for the first (recent) commercial game based on the doom engine?

As for a proof of concept map, there's this actual project by some Russian ppl going on that has heavy use of the new material system in GZDoom, called Doom Slayer Chronicles:

From what I understand it's still in alpha/beta state, so all bugs and weird English seen in the video will probably get fixed in the release :P

(btw: Doomworld fix font sizes when? Had to scale page down to 70%...)

Edited by ZZYZX

1 hour ago, ZZYZX said:

As for a proof of concept map, there's this actual project by some Russian ppl going on that has heavy use of the new material system in GZDoom, called Doom Slayer Chronicles:

That looks interesting, we're gonna see some cool shit coming out. That viewbob though, jeeeesus...

A small example how it looks when all you have is barely diffuse+normal map. So, now imagine how it would look like with roughness, metallic, ao and spec.

v5jfgUy.png

5ufE96E.png

8oKLnGJ.png

St8ae62.png

Edited by Reinchard

I *think* there are programs that can generate them for you, I've heard xNormal and CrazyBump are pretty good for generating material maps but i haven't tried them myself personally

1 hour ago, Teder said:

We only need 3d monsters now.

3D monsters look bad. I think we need to have really really smooth animations and randomised animations, too. Like a Smooth Doom Deluxe.

And voxelised items and switches, things like the awesome weapon pickups that Blood has (floating and rotating)

3D monsters, properly done, do not look bad. They just don't look like sprites, which they shouldn't do. 

What model format does GZDoom use? If it's still the horrifically deprecated MD2/MD3 format, then, as someone once said, "This will be a real short trip" as far as monster models using PBR textures are concerned. 

You can get an open-source bump creator app called AwesomeBump from here: https://github.com/kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump

You can feed in textures and it does a pretty good job of creating normal and displacement maps from 'flat' textures. 

1 hour ago, Tea Monster said:

3D monsters, properly done, do not look bad.

The model could look good, but the in-game animations would still look bad because sprites kind of hide how monsters instantly rotate and move always in the same eight directions.

To make 3D monsters look good in-game, you'd also need to rewrite their movement and animation routines. Which means the changes have to go beyond the purely aesthetic.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

The model could look good, but the in-game animations would still look bad because sprites kind of hide how monsters instantly rotate and move always in the same eight directions.

To make 3D monsters look good in-game, you'd also need to rewrite their movement and animation routines. Which means the changes have to go beyond the purely aesthetic.

Can ZScript be used for custom monster AI? I guess some minor changes, to act similar to newer games like Quake, can be done without changing the game radically.