Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Flaws in Doom 3 : BFG Edition.

2 hours ago, Pyrolex said:

Copyrighted math symbols (mostly a shitpost, yes, but the pill icon is ugly)

The Red Cross symbol is not copyrighted, it's protected under international treaty and isn't actually public domain.

Doom 3 : BFG Edition looks like it expanded on Doom 3's disappointment. Lame cashgrabbing joke.

Edited by Cacodemon345

It really is, but I do appreciate some of the vague effort put into the better models, and what I really do love is that when marketing it they treated Doom 3's masterpiece-hood as self evident and didn't act like they were fixing the game. Even if you dont think Doom 3 is good, its commendably that they treated it like it was and at least tried to make a product for the fans as well as newcomers. Its a shame that they felt pressured to change some things for the newcomers that ultimately didnt resonate well with the fans -- ie: flashlights, ammo, etc -- but hindsight is 20/20, and they really did try. I at least dont hold any malice for the people at bethesda/id for their work on the BFG edition, and at least Doom 3 is still just as accessible on Steam and such.

Edited by EtherBot

I hate how there are no cheat codes for Doom 1 and 2 in BFG edition. It's worse enough the newer Doom games lack cheats.

12 minutes ago, Reaper8888 said:

I hate how there are no cheat codes for Doom 1 and 2 in BFG edition. It's worse enough the newer Doom games lack cheats.

There used to be, they existed on the original Xbox build, however it seems they were axed starting with the XBLA version because it wasn't hard to type them inadvertently on the gamepad's limited input combinations.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Edward850 said:

There used to be, they existed on the original Xbox build, however it seems they were axed starting with the XBLA version because it wasn't hard to type them inadvertently on the gamepad's limited input combinations.

If only there were an entire generation of console ports that had found a solution to this which involved pausing the game in order to input cheats. Oh wait...

If you ask me, BFG Edition, and especially the Doom Classic component, show an absolute bare minimum of the necessary work having been done on them. And don't even get me started on the version of RoE that is included with it, it is total garbage. The only good things about BFG Edition are the Lost Mission, and a legal way to get NRFTL on PC. The rest is throwaway IMHO.

I'm currently playing through Doom 3 with an older version of the Absolute HD mod that only bumps up the resolution and improves the graphics. Really digging the use of flashlight this mod introduced: there is a shoulder-mounted one you can activate by pressing Q, but the light size is super small and it works like a GoldSource engine flashlight. And then there is the ordinary big flashlight bound to F, which illuminates a broader area much clearer. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it adds a new degree of tension. You can't really see shit with the small one in most cases, so you pull out the default one to look around. When the shit hits the fan and you need to pull out the gun, the tiny light creates some moments of genuine, atmospheric and picturesque tension. I can see some of the reasons why people don't like Doom 3 even though it's my first and yet unfinished playthrough, but moments like this are something special, and part of the reason I do enjoy it (although significantly less than I or II).

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:53 AM, Redwind said:

The only thing I liked about the BFG edition is the inclusion of achievements. But every other change made the game worse, in my opinion. Mounted flashlight, doubled ammo pickups, removed/simplified entire sections from Resurection of Evil (most likely because they thought those parts would be too difficult for casual console players). On top of all that, The Lost Mission, while a decent map pack, features a lot of recycled content from the original game/Resurection of Evil and, because of that, it feels more like a fan-made map pack to me.

Console players are not casuals. -_-

Oh, sorry, that sounded quite rude. I really don't know why I said that. I think what I really meant was that playing with a controller, in my opinion, is much less efficient than with keyboard & mouse and what is not difficult for K & M player maybe quite difficult for for a console player and that's why they've removed certain difficult sections from the game.

Edit: but I may be wrong, since I tried playing with a controller only once.

2 minutes ago, Redwind said:

Oh, sorry, that sounded quite rude. I really don't know why I said that. I think what I really meant was that playing with a controller, in my opinion, is much less efficient than with keyboard & mouse and what is not difficult for K & M player maybe quite difficult for for a console player and that's why they've removed certain difficult sections from the game.

Doubt that, there's enough difficult games for consoles out there. My take is that, considering the other changes they did to the mechanics, lightning and so on, they tried to simply make it an easier game overall, perhaps too easy.

1 hour ago, Redwind said:

I'm very good with controllers. :)

I've not played the original Doom 3 and avoided it back when it first came out. Last year I found the BFG edition for only 10 dollars brand new on the XBox 360. It was my first time playing Doom 3, and having not played the original, I can't exactly compare the two. 

The BFG Edition feels like a console port though and some of the changes I've read seemed to be to draw in console players. I like the addition of the classic games on the disc and No Rest For The Living proved to be a fun experience. I also enjoyed some of the soundtrack on the different soundcard. 

In gerenal I feel that the BFG edition was a good idea and works well enough. If you had a particularly powerful PC that could easily run Doom 3 when it originally came out in 2004, then perhaps playing BFG edition, especially on a console, would seem kind of pointless. But back in 04 the PC I had was mediocre at best and I was lucky to even play the game at all. That coupled with the fact that I like Doom 3 more than a lot of other gamers makes me appreciate being able to play a polished console port if it.

The Doom 1 and 2 game included with the BFG edition is fairly fucked up. No MP, no -fast, no keyboard functions and changed appearances of medikits, stimpacks to a pill symbol, alongside reduced bobbing. BFG Edition is garbage.

20 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The Doom 1 and 2 game included with the BFG edition is fairly fucked up. No MP, no -fast, no keyboard functions and changed appearances of medikits, stimpacks to a pill symbol, alongside reduced bobbing. BFG Edition is garbage.

Well on "Classic RBDoom3BFG" both the MP and the -fast are restored alongside with mod support (which allowing you to load mods that change the pill to the red cross), plus it has an option to use the Flashlight as a weapon.

Available links:

GitHub

ModDb

On 5/8/2018 at 4:20 PM, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Why couldn't they change the red cross to a white one?

Wouldn't it make the medkit hard to see?

MedikitE10.png

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 4:50 AM, mun said:

Wouldn't it make the medkit hard to see?

MedikitE10.png

I mean that they could make the bag red with a white cross.

I always hear that people didn't like BFG because of the flashlight mounted to the gun, but wasn't one of the most popular mods for the original Doom 3 the "Duck tape" mod (or something similar like that) that did the exact same thing?

1 hour ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

I always hear that people didn't like BFG because of the flashlight mounted to the gun, but wasn't one of the most popular mods for the original Doom 3 the "Duck tape" mod (or something similar like that) that did the exact same thing?

The ducktape mod was a certain section of fans doing a tweak to make the rest of that specific section of fans enjoy the game more. Bethesda decided to doublecross the original artistic/design intent of the game they were re-releasing by fundamentally stripping a major gameplay mechanic in the new "definitive" version. Pretty lame.

5 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

4 hours ago, EtherBot said:

The ducktape mod was a certain section of fans doing a tweak to make the rest of that specific section of fans enjoy the game more. Bethesda decided to doublecross the original artistic/design intent of the game they were re-releasing by fundamentally stripping a major gameplay mechanic in the new "definitive" version. Pretty lame.

Well you can always try to use "Classic RBDoom3BFG" which is giving you the option to either use the armor-mounted or the original flashlight