Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prime DOOM is a PWAD series for GZDoom I've been working on in which each installment has a number of level corresponding to its prime number.

That is, the 0th WAD will have only one level; the 1st WAD will have two levels, the 2nd WAD will have three, the 3rd WAD will have five, the 4th will have seven, the 5th eleven, and so on, in the order of the prime numbers.

Here is a download link to the zeroth installment of Prime DOOM (don't count it as canon, though :P):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmyc9v5s88bvtgy/zero.wad?dl=1

And here is a video walkthrough of said level on the "Ultra Violence" difficulty:

Spoiler

I know it's not much, but I hope you like it.

NOTE: I do plan on making the levels of Prime DOOM similar in nature to that of vanilla; that being said, I haven't even finished the first level of Prime Doom 1!

But I do plan on finishing it soonTM.

Edited by Isthisawalrus

Interesting way how to sort wad's for series but the level design look a bit too "raw" for me

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

Interesting way how to sort wad's for series but the level design look a bit too "raw" for me

How is it "raw"? Do the textures look too bland?

He probably means that the map is extremely amateurish, but that's okay! As long as you take time to learn and grow as a mapper, this little series will give great insight into your journey as a mapper.

In fact, I'll help you right now by being really blunt and mean (with pictures!!!):

Spoiler

General stuff:

1. You said it's a vanilla-style map, but your video was in a zdoom port and you didn't actually say if it was truly vanilla. I'm happy to report that it is indeed at least limit-removing, as I played (and took the screenshots) in glboom+, -complevel 2.
    • Be sure to mention (in this post and the future) what format/port your maps are designed for (also try to test in those ports obviously). Among the worst mapping errors you can make is making an otherwise vanilla level but in a zdoom format, forcing everyone to use a zdoom port to play it. You didn't do that because you're the best ever. Nevermind you kinda did, so you're just the okayest ever now.
  2. Change the 0 at the end of your dropbox link to a 1, so that it reads "?dl=1" at the end. This makes it so that it instantly downloads the file upon clicking the link, instead of taking you to dropbox to download it manually.
  3. Instead of videos (since they might be a little difficult to put together), try posting screenshots instead. I recommend a port with either good visuals (pr/glboom+, but ignore my pictures because i had a blur filter on) or whatever port the map is designed for.
    • Videos are still fine though, if you really wanna do 'em.

Map specific:

1. Sky incorrectly made outside, resulting in a HOM. Try making an outdoor sector (which you've done), then making a sector surrounding that sector, and lowering the ceiling of the surrounding sector to the ground (with a sky ceiling).

TX9ur70.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Avoid stairs being so close to doors. There's another like this at the start. Also try using more DOORTRAK inside doors.

828gAn4.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple whammy!! Sky in the corner on the left but not raised into the ceiling, door not indented (also present in all the other screenshots), and mismatching textures with no transitions (also present in much of the level in general).

Speaking of transitions, if you indent your doors, you can use DOORSTOP as the transition in the indent between the door and wall.

kT8tXzH.png

4. Bizarre, cluttered, cramped room. Avoid stuff like this at all costs (the computers on the right were nice though).

FAx5lpY.png

5. Unmarked exit. Either include exit signs, or make the exit door an actual door and have a switch or something instead. Just make sure players know when they're leaving the level.

xgEQcBj.png

i hope my angry picture book helps you somehow

if i made you sad, i'll give you a shoulder and we can cry together friend

Edited by bonnie

39 minutes ago, bonnie said:

He probably means that the map is extremely amateurish, but that's okay! As long as you take time to learn and grow as a mapper, this little series will give great insight into your journey as a mapper.

In fact, I'll help you right now by being really blunt and mean (with pictures!!!):

Reveal hidden contents

General stuff:

1. You said it's a vanilla-style map, but your video was in a zdoom port and you didn't actually say if it was truly vanilla. I'm happy to report that it is indeed at least limit-removing, as I played (and took the screenshots) in glboom+, -complevel 2.
    • Be sure to mention (in this post and the future) what format/port your maps are designed for (also try to test in those ports obviously). Among the worst mapping errors you can make is making an otherwise vanilla level but in a zdoom format, forcing everyone to use a zdoom port to play it. You didn't do that because you're the best ever.
  2. Change the 0 at the end of your dropbox link to a 1, so that it reads "?dl=1" at the end. This makes it so that it instantly downloads the file upon clicking the link, instead of taking you to dropbox to download it manually.
  3. Instead of videos (since they might be a little difficult to put together), try posting screenshots instead. I recommend a port with either good visuals (pr/glboom+, but ignore my pictures because i had a blur filter on) or whatever port the map is designed for.
    • Videos are still fine though, if you really wanna do 'em.

Map specific:

1. Sky incorrectly made outside, resulting in a HOM. Try making an outdoor sector (which you've done), then making a sector surrounding that sector, and lowering the ceiling of the surrounding sector to the ground (with a sky ceiling).

TX9ur70.png

2. Avoid stairs being so close to doors. There's another like this at the start. Also try using more DOORTRAK inside doors.

828gAn4.png

3. Triple whammy!! Sky in the corner on the left but not raised into the ceiling, door not indented (also present in all the other screenshots), and mismatching textures with no transitions (also present in much of the level in general).

Speaking of transitions, if you indent your doors, you can use DOORSTOP as the transition in the indent between the door and wall.

kT8tXzH.png

4. Bizarre, cluttered, cramped room. Avoid stuff like this at all costs (the computers on the right were nice though).

FAx5lpY.png

5. Unmarked exit. Either include exit signs, or make the exit door an actual door and have a switch or something instead. Just make sure players know when they're leaving the level.

xgEQcBj.png

i hope my angry picture book helps you somehow

if i made you sad, i'll give you a shoulder and we can cry together friend

Thank you very much!

I decided that I would implement (most of) your suggestions into the WAD, which I just finished uploading onto dropbox. The only suggestion I didn't completely implement were the door indentations, which I will make sure to do in the next installments.

Also, the skybox looks fine for me on GZDoom; I may or may not have fixed it, though.

Here's some screenshots of MAP01 for Prime DOOM 1:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_185937.png.70e6563e52e9c0e0b7f5383ef03f692a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_185950.png.5c477d25d1612c17cdde592dde491d28.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_190002.png.35f82ecc2adef7365c74ba1c36c264a0.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_190035.png.2d3bfe911ad6d6c6b8e0adaa32994038.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_190057.png.85bf668254cea7739cad67cf7f8d391d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_190111.png.91ee2f6a19346b246df685492683832f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180405_190158.png.329e5a80a8262ed7adb3d0315fac8e75.png

On 5. 4. 2018 at 12:02 AM, Isthisawalrus said:

How is it "raw"? Do the textures look too bland?

For eyes is looks like you mostly using only 2 textures, Try to play with various textures choices. Try to avoid using too many box like looking room, play with room shapes and you will see the differences. Dont be afraid and put more decorate stuff and level details, and if you not sure which and how, there no better choice than play some popular wads and take look how details was made and take inspiration from them.

I've finished the first map of Prime DOOM 1. If anyone would like to playtest it, just PM me.

As for the second map, here's a little sneak peek (even though it is far from done):

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180407_121801.png.0bc98357c4bd84f51d1c8bed1c193b38.png