Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

10 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Another foray into Suicidal difficulty in KF2, courtesy of the Tiny Terror weekly objective. It's the opposite of Beefcake; enemies shrink when they lose health (and also have shrill voices to boot). Firebug was the recommended Perk to use so I don't have to hit shrinking pinheads. A big update for KF2 also brought two new weapons for that Perk, so even more reason to fire it up.

The Incendiary MAC-10 is pretty good for lighting up distant enemies with single taps. It also does well against a flame-based enemy who's fairly resistant to most of the Firebug's weapons. The Fireball Cannon is straight-up overpowered, from the damage to the blast radius to the giant amount of reserve ammo. Plus the Firebug has high resistance to his own weapons, so shooting the ground around him to clear away a mob of annoying is a viable move. At least for Solo, all of the big enemies are mostly trivialized with the Fireball Cannon, where previously they were very hard to defeat with the Firebug's emphasis on damage-over-time. There's also a new weapon for the Gunslinger, a double-barrelled 1911 that's supposed to be more forgiving than the .500 Magnum but requires more headshots for big enemies.

The so-called new enemy is just the booster enemy I described before, now with an armored vest and helmet that look like they were found and welded together from a scrapyard. Not too big of a change, just an additional shot for the Perks that revolve around spike damage.

The update added an optional Stand Your Ground objective in the base game, where you and your squadmates defend a random location on the map for an entire wave. You are given an incentive to SYG with additional XP for your current Perk, extra Dosh for new weapons, and points to cash in for a random cosmetic. I don't care for the extra Perk XP, the extra Dosh is only really needed in the early waves, the cosmetic points are very little and the rewards only scale with wave length regardless of difficulty. Open areas are defensible with a good team, but cramped indoors with few avenues are certain death traps especially once the big enemies start spawning in. I'm not a fan of this mechanic, but I do think it's a start for the groundwork of an Objective gamemode like in the first game.

I haven't tried Endless mode yet; I'm not a fan of arena-type modes that go on until I fail it. I'm sure I'll get most of the limited-time cosmetics at some point. I just hope they don't nerf the Fireball Cannon before then.

Later: Oh, come the hell on. I kill the Patriarch on a sunny beach to complete the weekly objective on Suicidal, but then I get boxed in a country-dark farmhouse and killed by King Shit and his mountain of turd minions on Normal? Oh well, at least the cosmetic I got looks pretty cool. Now a choice: Berserker or Firebug?

Hide contents

20180406193214_1.jpg.f5ab9c34714b5e3b7f99fe86c009c804.jpg

Scorpion's going to sue someone...

I've been playing a bit of FreeSpace: The Great War and I'm really enjoying it. As I was playing, I was constantly wondering why I didn't play it sooner.

I did get shocked when I looked at the key bindings, though. There are more controls than keys in the keyboard lol, but thankfully the training is good at telling you what you actually need to use and what you don't.

Btw, do you guys know any other good sci-fi sim games (Aside from MechWarrior, which I love)?

Doom, what else? Ironically I enjoy trying to make games more than I play them.

3 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I've been playing a bit of FreeSpace: The Great War and I'm really enjoying it. As I was playing, I was constantly wondering why I didn't play it sooner.

I did get shocked when I looked at the key bindings, though. There are more controls than keys in the keyboard lol, but thankfully the training is good at telling you what you actually need to use and what you don't.

Btw, do you guys know any other good sci-fi sim games (Aside from MechWarrior, which I love)?

https://www.gog.com/game/terra_nova_strike_force_centauri

Skullgirls. It’s been far too long since I’ve played a fighting game and Skullgirls brought me up to scratch.

I’m also trying Dante/Vergil fresh starts on Very Hard and DMD in DMC3. If I enjoy these runs I may consider SS ranking the missions as well.

Oh some Crusader Kings 2 as well. I’m not sure if I’m cut out for Paradox games since they are basically empire simulators. RTSs and the Civilization games are more to my taste.

5 hours ago, KVELLER said:

FreeSpace 2? There are a bazillion user-created campaigns of amazing quality.

I started playing Cities: Skylines again. I don't like it nearly as much as I did Sim City 4, but playing Sim City 4 is just so archaic. Even if it is a great game, the Sim Cities always had more charm and more entertainment. Another thing is Sim City 4, the cities interconnected within a region. Plus Sim Cities have scenarios. Cities: Skylines have scenarios as DLC and no end game. What? You just kind of get bored of a city and move on. I dug through the forum to see if there is an end game. People claim the endgame is what you want it to be. Well then... I want it to be "over" so now what? Lots of people suggest mods, but no thanks, there are no achievements with mods.

My current city has everyone packed in like sardines for the past dozen hours. Nothing can really be built. Traffic is great thanks to trains, subways and bus stops, so I just started unlocking achievements. I built a space rocket and that was cool and felt fresh, I'm not sure if it did anything.

9 hours ago, beast said:

Doom, what else? Ironically I enjoy trying to make games more than I play them.

Me too. Although now its just banging my head against a wall.

Continuing with this one, including a (kinda) boss fight. And of course: secrets within secrets within secrets...

9 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I'm not sure if I should start playing Advance Wars or Ultima 5.

You should do both.

1 minute ago, Apaul27 said:

You should do both.

I fully intend to, I just haven't decided which to play first. In the meantime, I'm playing Ms. Pac-Man. There's never a bad time to be playing Ms. Pac-Man. 

Started POSTAL 2 on POSTAL difficulty tonight, having fun with it actually. I could make it easier on myself by reducing the pop count to 0 in the performance menu, since it will spawn only those already placed on the map or scripted NPCs, but I insist on maximum carnage. Only picked up the paycheck on Monday so far, but getting those extra supplies in Tora Bora is really helping me out, especially the WMD, pretty much wiped out the beginning area of Office Complex with just a single shot, as the radiation spread to other NPCs as they spawned into the world, racking up a lot of kills.

Also I play a Terraria. I think that game is most better that Minecraft. Because it doesn't have as many fans as Minecraft, takes up less space and doesn't scares (you can laugh but I afraid of monsters and another mobs of Minecraft thinking that they escape from display and kill me). 

Playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 after beating 2, trying to go through the whole series. I've already beaten it but it was ages ago and I wan't to get more up to date with the story before I go on to play Peace Walker.

I've been on a binge lately of playing all the PS3 games that have come out in the past year and a half or so. It's hard to believe that the system just had it's 11th birthday this past Fall, and there was still a rather healthy amount of games (mostly indie digital titles) that were released for it last year. I just recently grabbed Persona 5 as well as a part of picking up recent PS3 titles, and I've been blown away at how good it is.

One of the indie titles that I've put some time into is called The Surfer. It was released back in December and surprisingly is only available on PS3, quite crazy to see an exclusive title this late in the system's lifespan. Just for the hell of it, I put together a gameplay video since there doesn't seem to be any other comprehensive videos of the game currently on the web:

I've been playing Okami recently. It's an excellent Zelda-like that is quickly becoming my favorite of them all. Plus, it's gorgeous even over a decade after its release.

Just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition; have Space Siege and My Time at Portia on the go.

I played the Mount & Blade demo. It's really interesting to see large scale medieval battles where you're in the action (as opposed to stuff like Age of Empires) but it didn't really click with me. I had some fun, but not the enough to make me want to buy it.

The original or mount & blade : warband? Still it is a very rough experience. That doesn't even mention the horrors of multiplayer in it or late game snoozefests (player army becomes godlike, bandits more threatening than other factions.. lol)

5 minutes ago, Pegg said:

The original or mount & blade : warband? Still it is a very rough experience.

The original. Yeah, the combat feels especially cluncky.

6 minutes ago, Pegg said:

That doesn't even mention the horrors of multiplayer in it or late game snoozefests (player army becomes godlike, bandits more threatening than other factions.. lol)

Lol. What's so bad about the multiplayer?

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

The original. Yeah, the combat feels especially cluncky.

Lol. What's so bad about the multiplayer?

They added a chambering mechanic in warbands (attacks block their direction around the start). That changes improves single player but oh god multiplayer is a mess of 2-handers abusing it by spam attacking and their insane damage let's them 2shot (ohko on head) people left and right. Combine it with wide attack arcs, bunny hopping (no speed impact) and armor doing jack shit and you get the MP for warbands. (it still takes a lot of skill to do those reliably since some counters exists, but it is really annoying when you can get oneshot at any moment and spend ages walking over and over to the battle ground -not to mention crossbowmen could be anywhere waiting to remove most of your hp).

On 4/13/2018 at 2:35 AM, Pegg said:

They added a chambering mechanic in warbands (attacks block their direction around the start). That changes improves single player but oh god multiplayer is a mess of 2-handers abusing it by spam attacking and their insane damage let's them 2shot (ohko on head) people left and right. Combine it with wide attack arcs, bunny hopping (no speed impact) and armor doing jack shit and you get the MP for warbands. (it still takes a lot of skill to do those reliably since some counters exists, but it is really annoying when you can get oneshot at any moment and spend ages walking over and over to the battle ground -not to mention crossbowmen could be anywhere waiting to remove most of your hp).

All your opinions are valid but I do want to say none of the mechanics are broken as if they can't be blocked or countered, especially the chambers. They are tough to master and reposite back but it happens aplenty once you get the vibe of it.

I was a massive player of Warband's single player, mods and multiplayer to a stupid level. God help my soul when Bannerlord is released.

If you're a great xbower and melee fighter in deathmatch expect to be bullied, ganked and vote kicked/banned even if you are a very friendly person. I honestly can not count how many times this happened to me. But I stopped being friendly after a while.

Edited by Chezza

On Wednesday now in POSTAL 2 on POSTAL difficulty, so far so good, with over two thousand kills, and I've many more miles to go to make them all sleep.