Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Typhon

Custom Skyboxes (GZBuilder UDMF)

Question

Hello Everyone!

Coming around again for my third editing question that probably has a very, very simple answer. How would I go about using custom skyboxes? I'll let whomever wishes to help me jam their keyboards, but I first need to address that I'm both aware of and know how to properly use the Skybox Viewpoint Thing. I'd also like to inform that I've spend a considerable amount of time researching the topic and failed to recover any particularly useful information, meaning that this is indeed a last-ditch effort at becoming knowledgeable within the subject.

Now, if were to take your phalanges and start writing up some sorta educational response for me to read, as always, I'd greatly appreciate it! ^w^

P.S. Sorry for being so uneducated with these more advanced editing techniques, as I've only recently started realizing how to truly make a detailed DOOM WAD. Also, I like the song 'Casual Affair' by 'Panic! At The Disco'...think it- uh...think it's pretty good.

6 answers to this question

If the port you are mapping for supports MAPINFO, as should any port that has a skybox viewpoint thing, then setting a sky for a map to any texture is easy.

If you want multiple skies in a map, you can use Static_Init.

If you want a custom skybox that allows you to have (for example) a giant barrel in the sky, you need to utilise two "Things".

The first thing is called "skybox viewpoint". This Thing will see everything inside the sector it is placed in (and adjacent ones as well). Tag this thing with a number (I start on 666 and increment by 1 for multiple skyboxes). Make a dummy skybox sector away from your map and place the Skybox Viewpoint inside. Edit the walls of the skybox to have Line Horizon so that it looks like the skybox goes out into the open indefinitely. If you need to, adjust the height of the Viewpoint to effect how far away the ground will appear.

The second thing is Skybox Picker. For this, it will need to select the skybox you wish to use (for example, skybox VP tagged 666). For f_sky1 textures on the floor and/or ceiling (adjustable in the picker's action tab) you can now see your new skybox. Place a barrel in the dummy skybox sector and HUZZAH! MASSIVE BARREL!!!!

Also bare in mind multiple sectors inside a map that have F_SKY1 ceilings may require multiple Skybox Pickers all tagged the exact same tag. Even if said skyboxes are in the same room. Otherwise the original skybox (if not changed then the default DooM/DooM2 skybox) will "leak" into the map in a bizare fashion.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Skybox

Presuming you're editing for GZDoom, there are two ways of creating a Skybox. You say you know how to use the Skybox Viewpoint, so I can only presume you're asking about the other way: the Q3 style "inside of a cube" approach.

That's defined in GLDEFs. The link above tells you everything you need to know.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If you want a custom skybox that allows you to have (for example) a giant barrel in the sky, you need to utilise two "Things".

The first thing is called "skybox viewpoint". This Thing will see everything inside the sector it is placed in (and adjacent ones as well). Tag this thing with a number (I start on 666 and increment by 1 for multiple skyboxes). Make a dummy skybox sector away from your map and place the Skybox Viewpoint inside. Edit the walls of the skybox to have Line Horizon so that it looks like the skybox goes out into the open indefinitely. If you need to, adjust the height of the Viewpoint to effect how far away the ground will appear.

The second thing is Skybox Picker. For this, it will need to select the skybox you wish to use (for example, skybox VP tagged 666). For f_sky1 textures on the floor and/or ceiling (adjustable in the picker's action tab) you can now see your new skybox. Place a barrel in the dummy skybox sector and HUZZAH! MASSIVE BARREL!!!!

Also bare in mind multiple sectors inside a map that have F_SKY1 ceilings may require multiple Skybox Pickers all tagged the exact same tag. Even if said skyboxes are in the same room. Otherwise the original skybox (if not changed then the default DooM/DooM2 skybox) will "leak" into the map in a bizare fashion.

Thank you! This was extremely helpful to me! =D

However, something in particular I've been wondering about involving this topic, is how exactly do I create the ceiling for a skybox? As I'm sure someone like yourself would know, your typical sky texture doesn't contain a sky to look directly up at, so how would I get one? I'm certainly not fit for creating my own, but I've found no solution to this problem as of yet.

Any assistance regarding this topic is greatly appreciated. ^^

Since you are using GZDoom UDMF, you can have the illusion of a true sky with a 6-sided box with images

of whatever sky you want. These images are then projected spherically onto the background.

You can find some skyboxes here.

A while back I made a tutorial on the subject.

15 hours ago, SoulGamingYT said:

However, something in particular I've been wondering about involving this topic, is how exactly do I create the ceiling for a skybox? As I'm sure someone like yourself would know, your typical sky texture doesn't contain a sky to look directly up at, so how would I get one? I'm certainly not fit for creating my own, but I've found no solution to this problem as of yet.

Usually F_SKY1 can work so you'll have the default doom skybox texture and at the same time can now have objects in the skybox aswell. If you wish to edit the actualy sky's texture, you'll need to edit the MAPINFO of the map.

A way to understand a dummy skybox sector is imagine you're inside that dummy sector. What do you see? That's what the skybox viewpoint see's.

EDIT: If you want an actual sky on top of the skybox rather than the endless void effect DooM does, just texture all the walls and ceiling/floor in the dummy sector a sky texture.