Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Visplane Overflow!

What Romero and Sandy use to create levels

Their mapping skills and their creativity

Very few people know the truth, it just so happens that I know someone who knows someone who knows someone else. The public were lead to believe that the idea and design came from the brilliant minds of Carmack and Romero etc. Actually, the idea was presented to Romero one night. While he was playing billiards, an elf climbed in his window and told him to get money from the Rockefeller Foundation for Doom. Perhaps Romero only saw elves or Satan in his mind, Doom still got built.

I heard that Romero takes 7 hour to create Perfect Hatred level, is that true?

18 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Sorry to throw down the sarcastic response but a two second trip to Google answered the question. It's amazing what these fancy search engine things can do!

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DoomEd

Also the post title sounded like a statement, not a question.

So they use DoomEd?

Used. During the original production. When John Romero made his E1M8 remake he used Doom Builder 2.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:22 AM, Visplane Overflow! said:

I heard that Romero takes 7 hour to create Perfect Hatred level, is that true?

According to the author himself, it took him 6 hours to make Perfect Hatred.

https://5years.doomworld.com/interviews/johnromero/page3.shtml

"In fact, I finished E4M2 in a record time for me.  There was never a DOOM/DOOM2 map that I ever made from concept to finish faster than E4M2. It took me 6 hours and I started at midnight and worked until 6 AM and it was done." -- John Romero

On 4/5/2018 at 11:15 PM, Dragonfly said:

Sorry to throw down the sarcastic response but a two second trip to Google answered the question. It's amazing what these fancy search engine things can do!

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DoomEd

Also the post title sounded like a statement, not a question.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, Visplane Overflow! said:

So they use DoomEd?

I hate to shitpost but fuck this made me laugh.

On jeudi 5 avril 2018 at 1:04 PM, Visplane Overflow! said:

We all know that Doombuilder, DeePsea came out after the release of Doom and Doom II, so what they are using to build the levels?

Since you use the present tense, I am going to answer with nothing. They are not building levels anymore, unfortunately.

Well, Romero did make a couple of levels with DB2 somewhat recently enough that it might still count, but hasn't indicated any intent to make more.

21 hours ago, Pegleg said:

"In fact, I finished E4M2 in a record time for me.  There was never a DOOM/DOOM2 map that I ever made from concept to finish faster than E4M2. It took me 6 hours and I started at midnight and worked until 6 AM and it was done." -- John Romero

Explains why it's a shitty level, imo.

7 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Explains why it's a shitty level, imo.

E4m2 is by many considered one of the best maps in the episode. It has a nice difficulty, clear goal, interesting areas, nice secrets and the option of telefragging a cyberdemon. The map plays well and looks interesting, something that isn't all that common in id maps. The only drawback is that there might be a bit too many barons placed on ledges where it just takes time to pick them off methodically. E4m6 might look a bit more grand, but it lacks the clear goals and is a lot more cumbersome to move around in.

Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to argue E4M2 is a bad level without explaining why you think that. I would guess that pretty much everyone on Doomworld who likes E4 likes E4M2.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:15 AM, Dragonfly said:

Google? What's that? Damn kids and their search engines, whatever happened to just asking a stranger?

Spoiler

:P

E: Also E4M2 is fine, manage your damn supplies better, and save most of your rockets and bullets from E4M1. It helps to get the blue key and leave immediately, NEVER fire your gun again to avoid the reinforcements. 100%ing kills is possible yeah, but you're only hurting yourself at the start of E4M2 cause there's not a lot of room and the Caco horde is mighty.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, Pegleg said:

That explains why it takes me so damn long to play through it on Ultra Violence. That was a real stumbling block early on for me on episode 4. I can't say its a bad level so much as there's a lot of platforming that I just wasn't used to. Plus the Cyberdemon at the top of it all didn't help.

Its still interesting to know he made it so quick.

About the Google machine... I like to ask questions I can easily Google just to get a conversation going. I come here to socialize with people I'll never know.

Edited by geo

15 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to argue E4M2 is a bad level without explaining why you think that. I would guess that pretty much everyone on Doomworld who likes E4 likes E4M2.

Actually, I have explained why before, in multiple previous posts. I only said what I said as a continuation of an inside joke, of sorts (i.e. I usually bitch about about Perfect Hatred or The Chasm every so often). But, having said that, it's still a shit level. Buttttttt, it's leagues ahead of The Chasm. I will say that much.

E4m2 is definitely one of the best maps in e4 (the other being e4m1). I don’t particularly like it, but I generally dislike e4 anyway.

Ep4 is growing on me more with recent playthroughs also, it also just felt really damn refreshing to go back to play it after slogging through Doom II again. Doom II just isn't that good on its own as it is.