Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

"Embracing Push Forward Combat in DOOM" GDC Talk

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024940/Embracing-Push-Forward-Combat-in

'DOOM' is the ultimate celebration of the player; a power fantasy run amok where instead of a player thrown into a den of teeming hordes, the enemies are locked in a room with YOU. Thus, a new approach to FPS combat design that emphasizes brutality, aggression and speed is necessary. "Push forward combat" is the result and stares down genre conventions like regenerating health, reload and cover, and instead puts the onus on the player to take what they need from adversaries. This lecture details the philosophy behind the combat design and its implementation, and opens up the possibility for its inclusion in multiple genres.

I was also a little surprised to see that a few minutes into the presentation, they use this Youtube clip I made a couple years ago, while talking about rebooting Doom 4 with more focus on speed:

I liked the bit about monsters all being individual ingredients to a larger recipe; rings true for Doom 1/2 mapping as well. The rest of the video was fun to watch/listen to as well, but that one thought was gold for me.

The push forward combat makes me think of the NES games where the power ups would disappear if you didn't collect them in 3 seconds.

Hah, the bit with the swarm of monsters all firing at the same time reminds me of something you'd see in a bad Doom 3 mod.

The depth they went into on such subtle stuff that people won't know is there is amazing. Have any other recent games had a comparable amount of love put into them?