Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiR

Doom WADs being detected as viruses?

Recently, I couldn't download files that are in .wad format. (zipped or not, it still gets flagged) Opera doesn't even allow me to continue these downloads as well.

5acb568e096da_Screenshot35(426x99).png.504523f02fb90b50376ca0b6b535cd54.png

The file above is the error I get when I try to download the "Xtra Lites Texture Pack" off of Realm667.

I tried Firefox and Microsoft Edge too. Same problem.

Anyone else who came across this strange problem? Or an I alone on this one?

(If all else fails, I'm going to boot up... *shudders* Internet Explorer)

I use Chrome and have never had this problem. Do you use an external computer protection service like McAffee or something like that?

I'm on Chrome too but never experienced blocked downloads with .wad or .zip files.

Since it happens with other browsers as well make sure to check your AV's settings, and since Akenore mentioned McAffee I hope you aren't using that... there's much better alternatives out there.

1 hour ago, Valgilton said:

I think it's about time I've changed antivirus.

May I recommend Panda Antivirus? There are free and paid versions of it, but you'll be fine with just the free version.

I'll take note of that. I guess I'll be running three antiviruses then.

11 minutes ago, Valgilton said:

I'll take note of that. I guess I'll be running three antiviruses then.

Wait... Isn't running multiple anti-viruses generally a bad idea?

15 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

Wait... Isn't running multiple anti-viruses generally a bad idea?

It certainly is.

Uninstall the current AV software and only then proceed to download something else, there's many free versions out there to choose from, such as Kaspersky, Avast, Bitdefender, Avira, etc. ^ I wouldn't recommend Panda either, this might also help you choose what works best for you.

I've been using Bitdefender Free for over a year now, no problems. It was recommended by a friend who locally owns a computer repair shop, if that's any help. Agent 16 is right tho. Check and see which is best for you. Good luck!

This is due to your antivirus, whatever it is, but it could also be that you actually have a virus which is blocking downloads.

Maybe a disconfiguration in your computer or antivirus?

If the computer is the problem, try reset your computer settings to default

If the av is the problem, maybe your av couldnt recognise the file format and/or  the av couldnt verify its safety of the file, it automatically puts it under 'Virus detected' or 'Risky' file category. Who knows?

If nothing works, i may suggest backup all of your files and format your computer.......😀😀

I've talked with a friend, he told me to get Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes to replace the AV i'm using.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:08 AM, Valgilton said:

(If all else fails, I'm going to boot up... *shudders* Internet Explorer)

Wait... Internet Explorer still works. I though you had to use Microsoft Edge these days.

For antivirus I have tried Microsoft Security Essentials. By my opinion it was way better than using Norton and McAfee.

I also noticed that while using CCleaner it has an option for 'unused file extensions'. I have to keep that unchecked because it detects the .shader files within the .pk3 files in my Quake 3 folder as being unused. It also detected .wad files as unused before I had Doom Builder 2 and Slade 3 installed. Just to let you know if you happen to use this software as well.

9 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

realm667.PNG.e095dea756f90aef072d9c7637ef43c4.PNG

What the fish! 

So maybe the antivirus detected the source of the files and put them as dangerous or risky (or the av treated the files as 'unknown source).

Nothing i can say bout this.

bcuz idk whats the problem.

Same thing happens in smartphones, but theres option to allow this.

idk if it had in pc 😐

On 4/9/2018 at 5:16 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

Wasn't at some point R667 infected by viruses or was that just a rumour?

Truth - It's using a CMS (Content Management System). Something similar to Wordpress. One of the issues with using such technology, despite all it's huge benefits, is security holes. Oftentimes plugin developers write code that isn't secure enough, and hackers are able to use said vulnerabilities to gain access to and destroy a website. Oftentimes in a fully automatic way too, so no humans were directly involved with finding and destroying the website. This is no fault of T667.

Source: Web Design/Developer by profession, have dealt with this shit first hand in a working environment on more than one occasion.

5 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Truth - It's using a CMS (Content Management System). Something similar to Wordpress. One of the issues with using such technology, despite all it's huge benefits, is security holes. Oftentimes plugin developers write code that isn't secure enough, and hackers are able to use said vulnerabilities to gain access to and destroy a website. Oftentimes in a fully automatic way too, so no humans were directly involved with finding and destroying the website. This is no fault of T667.

Source: Web Design/Developer by profession, have dealt with this shit first hand in a working environment on more than one occasion.

Hypothesis: The file were from hacked and maybe the antivirus detetected the source so it blocked the file. Or the file is hacked/infected so av blocked it.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, Visplane Overflow! said:

Does it solve the problem?

Yeah, it works pretty well. Still pretty strange at first though.