Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beast

Charlie - my third doom map

My third doom map, aptly named charlie (the first two being alpha and beta), as part of my "learning to map experience project", one week build time.

Feedback and FDA's welcomed. Be honest, be brutal :)

Pertinent details:

• DOOM.WAD
  • Single player, E1M1
  • Stock textures, sound and music only
  • Includes a play-through recording showing all secrets (spoiler alert)
  • All skill levels implemented
  • Tested on PrBoom+ compat levels 2/9, Chocolate doom
  • Built with Eureka

Screenshots:

Spoiler

charlie02.png.41712439221437e4644299c3ff4ff09a.pngcharlie03.png.19041bca13789ea93c77b42db77e2b3c.pngcharlie05.png.0a59a8ed74237c95e691a41316cfa7bb.png

charlie.zip

Just finished it. I like this WAD.

The style of it looks very good, and it is decently long. The enemy placement was fine for the most part, with some sections being a bit weird in the enemy placement department. The difficulty was about Medium, I'd say, even though I still got my ass kicked. The ammo was pretty commonly placed, which kinda subtracted some of the challenge from the level. Some parts of it were also a bit confusing.

For the most part, this WAD is very good. While it got confusing at some parts, I eventually got past those parts. Solid WAD!

I've made a cooperative FDA with my bot AutoDoom. It was a blast in coop, at one point the bot released lots of monsters and went ahead to clear other areas, leaving me to take them out.

I couldn't find the chaingun, I don't know how the bot found it. Perhaps it found a secret?

Did you test this with Chocolate Doom (or vanilla Doom)? There are a few texture glitches ("tutti-frutti effect") wherever you used ones shorter than 128 units on walls taller than them. One example is in the hell chamber (with the switch opening the red skull door in the yard) and another is a pile of tiny crates in the maze.

The FDA is available both on YouTube and as a vanilla-compatible demo (charlie.7z attached here, containing charlie.lmp). 

EDIT: now I wonder if the demonic area is safe in coop. Is the door, which slams shut behind you, openable from outside? What happens if all players inside the room are killed? Can they get back in after they respawn?

charlie.7z

Edited by printz

Thanks @VeeTHis it is good to know some parts are confusing. My guess is making the player relate which switch opens the doors to the blue/red keys in the courtyard, hence the use of the skull strips next to the doors/switches, I see how that is confusing but can't think of another way apart from exploration. Thanks for the comment!

@printz I really enjoyed watching that coop lmp, my first bot assisted FDA, it was very exciting! I am worried the maze is too big or even shit but you seemed to ace it. I tested in Choco but missed those few tutti-fruttis, thanks for pointing those out. The chaingun is in a secret area, and the door in the demonic area only closes once, for 30 seconds. Thanks for the comment!

15 hours ago, beast said:
  • Tested on PrBoom+ compat levels 2/9, Chocolate doom

If a wad is designed for vanilla then you should tell people to use only -complevel 2 to avoid undesirable behavior on -complevel 9.

Map looks nice, I will try it soon hopefully.

5 hours ago, beast said:

I am worried the maze is too big or even shit but you seemed to ace it.

Do mind that what you see on YouTube is a recording of a demo playback. I stopped at some points to look in the automap, both to find my way and to see where the bot is and if it needs help.

2 hours ago, mun said:

If a wad is designed for vanilla then you should tell people to use only -complevel 2 to avoid undesirable behavior on -complevel 9.

Map looks nice, I will try it soon hopefully.

I tested on both compatlevels, do you suggest I stick to one only in future testing? Is 9 the preferred complevel? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, beast said:

I tested on both compatlevels, do you suggest I stick to one only in future testing? Is 9 the preferred complevel? Thanks.

I meant that -complevel 9 is only intended to test Boom-compatible levels, and changes several things in Doom behaviour. (For example in demo recording: Like monsters falling off ledges which could be annoying for people who wanted to make UV-max demos.)

These are the most commonly designed for complevels and what they are: 

-complevel 2: Doom 2 vanilla or limit-removing

-complevel 3: Ultimate Doom vanilla or limit-removing <- this is what you want

-complevel 4: Final Doom (TNT, Plutonia)

-complevel 9: Boom

-complevel 11: MBF (as in Mayan Mishap and Valiant) 

3 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I once read that -complevel 17 is the less buggy version of this IIRC.

2 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

complevel 17 is just 'the current version of prBoom+' -- it's the same as complevel -1. It's not really something that is mapped for. 

So what Gez said wasn't true? (From here)

If you want MBF features but no bugs, use complevel 17.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Perfectly explained, thanks @rdwpa

8 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Hm, where would one find good cl11 maps? Most of the boom wads I see uploaded are for 9

I had a blast playing this map. I found it completely non-confusing. It was always clear where you are supposed to go.  The best thing for me was that the fights weren't tedious or exhausting, playing on HMP. The maze was fun because I had found the berserk secret and just punched my way through. Most maps are too difficult for me, this one on HMP was a tad bit too easy. I will play it again on UV soon. Great map!

On 4/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, mun said:

So what Gez said wasn't true? (From here)

It's true but the point still remains that it's not mapped for specifically.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, therektafire said:

Hm, where would one find good cl11 maps? Most of the boom wads I see uploaded are for 9

They are quite rare. The Artica series is one that I found. Can't really think of any more.