Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

Dunno if I'd play with that, but for sure I'd run at least once through the levels with it just to see how they look.

I need this! Been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Really hope this gets a release!

Nice work! I secretly hoped someone would start on this!

In our experiments with Materials, we did find some textures didn't look too great with native-res maps. Textures like those in the final two screenshots really benefitted from higher-resolution maps. 

Once your done with the native-res maps, I might suggest you try experimenting with upscaling (with filtering) some of the maps to 512*512 or even larger. It bumps the file size significantly, but the resulting lighting is vastly better quality.

Maan, this looks great. I like the pixelated look as well and this enhancement works beautifully with it. Can't wait to see more.

Reminds me of the first time I loaded up Tenebrae. Great work.

Just out of curiosity, can this also be applied to sprites?

20 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Reminds me of the first time I loaded up Tenebrae. Great work.

Just out of curiosity, can this also be applied to sprites?

as far as im aware it can be applied to everything, even 3dmodels if im not mistaken.

Pretty nifty, I wouldn't mind trying out something like that. Not sure if I'd actually play with it seriously though.

Whoa! This looks epic. Unfortunately PBR requires dynamic lights (or properly baked environmenta light, but GZDoom don't have that feature yet), so the only way to use it is complete rebuild existing elevels.

4 hours ago, Arl said:

I tried to make the shotgun to use materials, and when its lit, the entire sprite fades to a solid color (the color of the iluminating light), seems like we'll have to wait for more goodies.

hmm. try making a room in complete darkness then apply a single bright dynamic light in the centre. I'm not sure how weapon sprites work but with 3d weapons there should be gradual shading of the weapons based on the distance from the light.

another way to test this is to make a pillar in the centre with a bright dynamic light to cast a clean straight shadow of the pillar. then position yourself dead centre on the bright and dark area. your weapon should be half shaded. I'll upload a pictur later.

If that still don't work then the best method I can think of is to put the weapon sprites on a 3d plane and imitate the weapon as being 2d.

In addition to certain things giving off dynamic light (plasma balls, lamps, etc.), you could use sector brightness and assume that the light is coming from straight over head. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would work with existing maps. Oh, I just thought of something: what about players and monsters being a source of light in the bright frames when they are firing?

13 hours ago, Reinchard said:

Whoa! This looks epic. Unfortunately PBR requires dynamic lights (or properly baked environmenta light, but GZDoom don't have that feature yet), so the only way to use it is complete rebuild existing elevels.

Thank you, I checked your work in PBR Hi-res textures, this pixelated struggle of mine is already demanding, can't imagine the labour you are putting into your textures, very impresive work. It's good that now that there is support for this, people are playing with it, surely the developers deserve that we play with our toys in the sandbox they willingly provide.

Your are right about the lack of proper lighting enviroment, I need to shot plasma balls and summon lighting props in order to be able to see the effects of PBR, otherwise they just looks as diffuse textures. Lightmaps and Screen Space Reflection could improve this situation greately.

In addition to certain things giving off dynamic light (plasma balls, lamps, etc.), you could use sector brightness and assume that the light is coming from straight over head. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would work with existing maps. Oh, I just thought of something: what about players and monsters being a source of light in the bright frames when they are firing?

Well, actually I think all proyectiles have dinamic lights attach to them, and most enemies have range attacks. So when they attack they also lit aso you say.

About the sector brightness, that's actualy quite interesting. Iimagine a point light that spawns in flats that represent lamps, such as FLAT2, in wich the level of brightness i the sector determines the level of light strength. A man can dream...

Edited by Arl

Those E1M2 shots are incredible. The open circuitry could use a bit of love, but the effect so far is breathtaking. I really want to see what this looks like when combined with brightmaps.

Keep it up!

13 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

I really wanted to see how PBR would look with low res textures and glad to see it looks awesome.

Yeah me too, that's why I couldn't help myself, I needed to try it out.

4 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Those E1M2 shots are incredible. The open circuitry could use a bit of love, but the effect so far is breathtaking. I really want to see what this looks like when combined with brightmaps.

Keep it up!

Yes the open circuits are in TODO list, I just wanted to block the overall shapes first, so some details are just flat for now.

If you look closely in this pic, I'd already load some brightmaps, they work just fine with the other maps:

4ObnSDA.png

33 minutes ago, Arl said:

Yes the open circuits are in TODO list

With their current look, it seems like there's some transparent plastic panel protecting them (from Martian regoliths, no doubt).

Even with low res vanilla textures this looks way too realistic compared to the sprites. Actually, now that I think about it, is it possible to give the monster and weapon sprites pbr? I mean sure it would be time consuming doing it for each frame/sprite but is it possible?

Very nice! Would you mind releasing a WAD with some of these, to allow me to experiment with some rendering code using your data?

52 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Even with low res vanilla textures this looks way too realistic compared to the sprites. Actually, now that I think about it, is it possible to give the monster and weapon sprites pbr? I mean sure it would be time consuming doing it for each frame/sprite but is it possible?

If the weapons and sprites support brightmaps then i would suspect it does, Yes! I would avoid using sprites tho, the extra work load is not worth it.
If models now had dynamic shadows, it would be perfect! But i guess we wont expect that for another 10years maybe
example....dcDt3Zu.png
qVWCNzn.jpg
nTHAFX8.jpg
Main site : https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=59473

Edited by Ermi

Do you think you'll do Heretic as well?  Everyone makes a big deal out of Heretic having fewer textures than Doom so it'd be an easier project for you to finish. :P

How the heck did you guys manage to get your PBR setups working? I named my spec, normal and AO after the flat I'm about to apply material to, and placed them in their proper /auto/ (materials/normal maps/auto/ ...etc) folders but I get nothing in game, I'm using latest GZDoom, I'm I missing something?

I did make my own already, and also tried with the GLDEFS instead but still nothing?, I also noticed I don't have dynamic lights, even though they're turned on in opengl options.

5 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

I did make my own already, and also tried with the GLDEFS instead but still nothing?, I also noticed I don't have dynamic lights, even though they're turned on in opengl options.

do you have the dynamic lights zip that was provided by gzdoom? it comes with brightmaps aswell. Make sure to run it along side your wad then use soemtihng like the plasma rifle to test it. 
For your map textures, are you pointing the textures to the correct folders and files? i made this mistake aswell.
are you getting any error messages on start up?

yes I'm sure I'm pointing to the right folders with the right file names, I even went as far as testing a demo on zdoom forums and viewing the file to see if I did something wrong and it seems everything is fine, going to try with the file you mentioned and see if it's working, thx for bringing my attention to it :)