Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JED551

Huntington National Laboratory

Hi all,

I would like to present to you “Huntington National Laboratory,” my latest project after many many years away from mapping.  Loosely based on a certain Netflix show, our protagonist arrives at work late on evening to find the guard on duty dead, and strange sounds emanating from within the lab. 

Link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/stranger

This WAD replaces Map 01 of Doom 2, and was tested extensively with GZDoom and requires ZDoom or better. 

Check out the screenshots below and let me know what you think.
5acfe6de32a24_OutsideST.png.31cf0a78a5302854aed0334c6d49b9f9.png
5acfe96b6977c_BasementWindowST.png.c438103fee824eaae38a50750df04363.png
5acfe6e9156a6_RiftST.png.26c048521f3124a8f534c7f8550b1cd3.png

Lunchtime.png.68fdcd116d2a1b6842319a18185b9685.png

5acfe97da52cc_BasementHall.png.94b5c40c5ade509d46f8e0f03d6a9575.png

Edited by JED551 : Updated compatibility info

I found 5 secrets and killed all but 6 enemies on UV. The only real comment I have is that I racked up about 400 Cells before getting to the Plasma Gun, and you do face some large fights before you get to it, so it could maybe be moved to slightly earlier in the map. A thoroughly enjoyable map from start to finish.

I'll add this to my "To play" list for YouTube stuff. I like realistic and semi-realistic type maps.

1 hour ago, JED551 said:

should be compatible with most all ports and maybe even vanilla DOOM (some flats on walls, textures on floors, but that’s it for advanced features)

The pgn textures without corresponding Doom-format versions result in crashes, either instantly on load (glBoom+) or when they are viewed shortly into the map (prBoom+). It didn't take too long in the Tag Explorer of GZDB to find zero-tagged S_ actions, which are a ZDoom thing too (doesn't look like any are required for progression, but that secret and a bunch of goodies would all be inaccessible). Additionally, using flats as textures and vice versa is enough to suggest using ZDoom or better, even if the wad runs in lower ports -- those all are HOMs otherwise. 

Anyway, I like the fourth screenshot. 

58 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

The pgn textures without corresponding Doom-format versions result in crashes, either instantly on load (glBoom+) or when they are viewed shortly into the map (prBoom+). It didn't take too long in the Tag Explorer of GZDB to find zero-tagged S_ actions, which are a ZDoom thing too (doesn't look like any are required for progression, but that secret and a bunch of goodies would all be inaccessible). Additionally, using flats as textures and vice versa is enough to suggest using ZDoom or better, even if the wad runs in lower ports -- those all are HOMs otherwise. 

Oh wow, I did not appreciate how much work GZDoom was doing for me behind the scenes.  Thanks for the heads up!

I played on Hurt Me Plenty and managed to die a couple times. It wasn't really that hard, but I was in a bit of a rush because I have to go to work like now.

I thought this was fun. Nice looking throughout and some good gameplay. I found a few spots a little bit confusing progression-wise, particularly in a basement area (I think) where I really thought I was gonna end up with the red key, but I didn't waste too much time. 

A few issues: one of the early soul spheres areas has at least three sectors tagged as secret, which I doubt was intentional.

Some of your teleporters are very strange. I think you intended to do silent teleporting to make it seem more 3d

Yes, there was an obscene amount of plasma before getting the gun (unless there was an earlier secret). And once you do get it, there's really no reason to switch to anything else. At that point there's enough plasma to kill every remaining monster twice over with plasma. Makes the final area a bit too easy.

Man, this map was a lot of fun. The best thing was that it was never confusing even with all the room for exploration. Difficulty on HMP was perfect for me. My favorite part was where the hell creep began.

Noticed a texture problem there. Something seems to be wrong with this light in the room where you enter the creep section:

Spoiler

20180413_205640.jpg

Edited by Ryublade