Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

First/Second/Third gen Doomer?

How does one know if they're a first or second generation Doomer? I started around 1995 so I can't tell if it's first or second gen.

And where do third gen Doomers start datewise?

I started playing Doom in 2008 on Snes. I can say I'm second generation Doomer.

Why? Simply, the first Doom marks the first generation (1993-2004), Doom3 the second one (2004-2016) and Doom'16 the third one (2016-present)

I'm from second generation, because my mom and dad were playing Doom in 1990. So, my children in theory must be "third generation" :p

Honestly, I don't know. I guess I'm between second and third generation of doomer.

I first started playing Doom in 1993 when it was released so first generation it is. At the end of the day Doom is something that transcends time and space so that future generations will be able to experience D_Runnin.

If I'm going by the years from Gerardo's post I'm a first generation Doomer I guess? 

I started the series with Doom 2 on a Windows 98 machine sometime in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. I know for sure it was before Doom 3 came out.

32 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

I don't understand the point beyond seniority pissing contests.

Eh, probably just curiosity.

First played the game around 1997-8 then i quit because the game scared my younger self, then got reintroduced to the game some time in late 2003 and i only started to play it seriously and make levels by mid-early 2004

Don't know were all this fits into "doom player generations", but that's how it went for me

There was another thread related to Doomer generations last year, and some of those posts touched on what it meant to be in a particular generation.

I started playing Doom in MS-DOS in 1994, and mapping soon after that, so I'm firmly a first-gen Doomer.

I remember getting Doom 2 and thinking it was new, but this can't be, since the first Doom I played was Ultimate on DOS.

I am positive I played someone else's shareware Doom on vacation halfway across the country in summer 97. I remember knowing the game (and its cheats) very well at that point.

Based on my memory of where I lived for certain years of school, I believe we moved into the house in which I first experienced Doom in 96.

My best guess is I started Dooming in the second half of 1996. I seem to remember knowing what Doom was by the time Final Doom came out, but this could be another faulty "memory."

So I don't know what the criteria are, but I think it would be hard to place me later than first generation or earlier than second generation.

According to the time stamps given, I'd be a 2nd generation Doomer since I truly got into Doom in around 2013 or 2014.

But I've never played Doom 3 or Doom 4. I started playing Doom 2 and then Ultimate Doom and then Final Doom on the PC with Zandronum.

I started playing the original games in about mid-2013 through the BFG Edition, and I only started playing through Boom in late 2014. So, I suppose that makes me second generation?

Played DOOM for the first time in 1993. Then forgot about it for a couple of years until the end of 1995 started playing it a lot and mapping since mid-96 :)

Played Doom for the first time in June 1994 in DOS and Doom 2 within the next year (also in DOS). I started mapping a few months after playing Doom (DCK and DEU).

So first generation any way you slice it.

Doom 3 got me into Doom, lol. That puts me in the second generation I guess. Can't be first (too young, Half-Life is one year older than me), yet I got into Dooming and everything before Doom 2016 was even announced :)

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I'm from second generation, because my mom and dad were playing Doom in 1990. So, my children in theory must be "third generation" :p

Your parents were playing Doom a whole 3 years before it even came out?

4 hours ago, Glaice said:

How does one know if they're a first or second generation Doomer? I started around 1995 so I can't tell if it's first or second gen.

And where do third gen Doomers start datewise?

This would be my preferred breakdown, by the usage of the engine (ignoring the Doom RPGs):

First generation: 1993 - July 2004 (id Tech 1: Doom 1, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Doom 95, Doom 64)

Second generation: August 2004 - April 2016 (id Tech 4: Doom 3)

Third generation: May 2016 - present (id Tech 6: Doom)

Another way to think about this would be to separate out MS-DOS/Mac OS from other operating systems:

First generation (or Gen 1a): 1993 - May 1996 (Doom 1, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom)

Second generation (or Gen 1b): June 1996 - July 2004 (Doom 95, Doom 64)

Third generation (or Gen 2): August 2004 - April 2016 (Doom 3)

Fourth generation (or Gen 3): May 2016 - present (Doom)

If you wanted to include the Doom RPGs:

First generation (or Gen 1a): 1993 - May 1996 (Doom 1, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom)

Second generation (or Gen 1b): June 1996 - July 2004 (Doom 95, Doom 64)

Third generation (or Gen 2a): August 2004 - April 2004 (Doom 3)

Fourth generation (or Gen 2b): May 2005 - April 2016 (Doom RPG, Doom 2 RPG)

Fifth generation (or Gen 3): May 2016 - present (Doom)

There's always the standpoint that I'm first generation. My children (assuming they were still playing Doom) would be second generation. My grandchildren (assuming they were still playing Doom) would be third generation.

I'd say around first-gen myself since I played the shareware version of OG Doom around 2001. I remember getting Doom II about a year later, and finally got the Doom Collector's Edition in anticipation of Doom 3 a year after that.

Although i just started playing Doom back in 2017, but i could call myself any of the three gen doomer.

So this makes me a first gen Doomer and a first gen mapper as well.

4 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

.... I don't understand the point beyond seniority pissing contests.

I piss on seniority pissing contests. Heh.

But if you judge me by my playing abilities, then I'm way down there - possibly 7th gen. Well, maybe 6th gen.

Second probably. I'm the one who start playing Doom/Final Doom on PSX in 1998.
Then I discovered PC Doom around middle of 00's. Somewhere in 2009, when I start using internet I've found many stuff such as source ports, pwads, cacowards, e.t.c..
I remember when I downloaded doomcity.wad with couple of other wads and it is been very interesting experience. Also Doom Legacy is my first source-port from where I started.

I always loved playing the original Doom around 2008, and in 2015 I started playing Doom again on my own PC.

So 2nd generation??