Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PinkLion

So I'm doing a research project for college...

1) 23, male

2) Czech Republic

3) Doom I, Doom II, Doom 3, Doom 4, a PC port of Doom 64, TNT + Plutonia and tons of community megaWADs

4) Doom II, mainly because it was the first one I played, but also because the new enemies give it much more diversity than Doom I.

5) 

Doom I - 9/10 - basically a revolution in 1993

Doom II - 10/10 - Doom I brought to perfection. (I am also not a fan of the philosophy that no game deserves a 10/10. I played a decent number of games that I would give a 10/10 to.)

Doom 3 - 7/10 - kind of liked it, even though it plays differently

Doom 3 BFG - 5/10 - didn't even finish it, degraded the Doom 3 experience a lot

Doom 4 - 7/10 - full of MEH in general, but OK I guess

Doom 64 - 5/10 - finished it just out of curiosity. Have 0 desire to ever come back.

6) Counting only official releases, none have dethroned the original two.

7) NO and NO.

8) Still one of my favorite shooters there is (the originals). Would pick it over 99% of the other FPSes.

Dooms are in my notional "Hall of Immortals" as far as games go, along with other games I consider worthy. But it is important to say that they are NOT in the top spot for FPS (hence the 99%). My avatar might be a hint as to what game holds that top spot.

9) A departure from the original formula, yes, but done in a (for me) interesting way. I remember playing it some 10+ years ago and some parts definitely gave me the creeps. We get to know how the hellish invasion started and all in all, it is a nice prequel to the original Dooms. The game is extremely easy though and maybe a bit too long.

BFG edition made it a generic subpar shooter.

10) I feel that source ports should definitely be noted in some way.

Edited by idbeholdME

Your age and gender

27. Male

Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence

Czech Republic

Which Doom games have you played?

Doom, Doom II, Doom 3, Doom (2016), Final Doom, Doom 64, datadisks and hundreds of megawads for each of them.

Your personal favourite Doom game and why

I love them all :)

How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)

I love them all equally :D

Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?

I't still OK :)

Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?

Well sometimes it has more like "Quake" feeling due to arena fighting, but all in all it was great.

What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?

One of the best series out there!

What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?

I like the game even tho I understand why some doom fans don't. And I play it from time to time... let's say I finish the whole gay each two years.

Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

I like trains

1. M, 28

2.U.S.A.

3.all

4. Doom 2 for it's moddability.

5. I mentally group Doom 1 and 2 together. both great.

Doom 64 is fun to me as Kaisars doom 64ex, cool and interesting game. Original d64 suffers greatly from n64's controls.

D3 was great when it came out, still a solid fps, but as it is no longer scary, Very linier, and lacking in action or complex gameplay, I don't replay it often.

D4 was really good modern fps imo. Far better than most modarn single player fps games released anymore.

6. I don't think it's declined in quality, as each game has on obvious amount of shine to it. I see each game as a new concept, rather than a true continueation of a single concept. Kinda like final fantasy sequels.

7. D16 was very good. Lives up well to the original release.

8. I feel this question is redundant. Doom is easily one of my favorite fps ips to have existed.

9. Is what it is.

10. Not really. I don't know what this research will actually bring you but good luck.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, PinkLion said:
  1. Your age and gender
  2. Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence
  3. Which Doom games have you played?
  4. Your personal favourite Doom game and why
  5. How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)
  6. Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  7. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  8. What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?
  9. What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?
  10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide, I will really appreciate it!

Edit: If there are any additional sources of research you think I could use I'd love to check them out :)

Edit 2: Should have mentioned that all research will remain confidential and anonymous!

Edit 3: Optional anonymous Questionnaire you can take to give me more data if you would like to: https://goo.gl/forms/kPqVbe7j1hjDVP9y1

Edit 4: Regarding an Ethics Protocol, there's nothing like that where I'm from and I wasn't informed of anything of the sort so I'm quite confused about the whole thing. I've reached a daily post limit for today so I can't reply to the thread or messages regarding the subject, apologies.

Edit: You ask for sources of research, but you don't describe the goals of your project, except that you're a game designer. What kind of research do you need? There's a Doom Wiki (link at top of page).

Edit 3: The optional questionaire looks basically identical to your posted questions...what's up with that?

Edit 4: What do you mean about an Ethics Protocol? Who is asking for that?

Before I provide answers, I have a question for you: Will you provide us a compilation of the answers (without names, of course)? I mean, if we are providing you data, for free, it seems like a small favor for you to eventually provide us with a spreadsheet of totals and averages of the question results, please. Right?

1) 25, M;

2) Russia;

3) All except for Doom 64, Doom 2016 and mobile games.

4) Doom 2 - because of the sheer amount of content for it.

5) Doom 1 - 9/10. Almost perfect, except that the first episode feels too easy.

Doom 2 - 9/10. The same, but the levels are more gimmicky.

Evilution - 5/10. It has my favorite and most hated official levels.

Plutonia - 10/10. Doom at it's finest, in my opinion.

PS1 Doom - 6/10. I don't like the horror atmosphere, but the general gameplay is still mostly there.

Doom 3 - 2/10. Combat feels weak, horror atmosphere doesn't feel as good as PS1 version of the original.

6) The classic Doom has improved. The official sequels were in a limbo with Doom 3 and that CoD clone, but Doom 2016 looks pretty solid. Still can't be bothered to play it though.

7) Not really. It got the FPS formula right, but that's about it.

8) After the classics it was in a limbo, but it looks like it have been rescued from there.

9) Tech demo for Quake 4.

10) Just play it. Classic games are pretty easy to pick up.

@PinkLionI filled out the optional questionnaire. I don't know what you think about the spreadsheet, but it would be nice to see (I assume you are going to compile one anyway).

I am a 13 male. (Found some old FPS disks in my dad's room and started playing them at 8)

I'm italian. M A R I O

I've played all the DooM games except Resurrection of Evil,Lost Mission,and I still didn't complete out Master Levels.

My favorite game is indeed Doom 1,because of it's epic bossfights that DooM 2 and later classic games abandoned.

My DooM ratings:

DooM 10/10

DooM II 9/10

Evilution 9/10

Plutonia 10/10

DooM III 8/10

DOOM 10/10

The series is in a perfect and immortal status,it can't be ruined nor improved.

DOOM is a sequel,but it shouldn't be compared to the older games more than DooM III,that uses an earlier IDTECH instead of a completely different engine.

I think the DooM series is the best FPS series...no Quake,Duke Nukem or Wolfenstein can hold its power.

DooM III was a masterpiece as always,but did not come with revolutions like the other games did. Indeed,still a good game.

Unlike popular opinion,there's still a consistent young gen interested in classic DooM.

1. Your age and gender
  6. Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  7. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?
  1. 16, male
  2. Delaware, USA
  3. All of them. But I haven't completed Doom 3 since I had the BFG edition on the PS3.
  4. A tie between Doom 2 and Doom 2016. I think that Doom 2 has the best WAD support; and Doom 2016 has some really nice monstor models.
  5. Doom (1995) 3.75/5, Doom 2 4.2/10, Doom 3 2/5 (it's too clunky but it's not fast paced to justify it like the previous games, it also has barely any WAD support), Doom 2016 4/5 (a fun campaign but the snapmapping feature leaves much to be desired). I haven't played any of the other games so I couldn't rate them.
  6. I feel like the series' quality has remained pretty much the same. The only real dropoff was around Doom 3.
  7. I feel like comparing Doom 2016  to the original Doom games is a bit unfair. Doom 2016 is fun, but in a different way (but the fan service is nice).
  8. I think that they're loads of fun. The modding helps give the series a damn near infinte amount of playability.
  9. See question 5.
  10. If you're writing a paper, would you mind linking it? I'm a science geek.

1. 33/M

2. United States

3. All of them, except for the ones on consoles/handhelds that are not Doom64.

4. Doom 2. It was the most well-rounded experience, gameplay-wise, but I like Doom 1's level design better.

5. Doom 2 highest, then Doom, Doom2016, Doom64, Doom 3. Doom64 was great and atmospheric, but disappointing content-wise. It may have been due to memory constraints. Doom 3 was decidedly not "Doom" as people wanted it. The expansion pack was better, though.

6. It did a bit of a dip in the middle as nostalgia was used as a driving element for sales, but Doom2016 made up for it a lot in that regard.

7. Nostalgia? No. I have plenty of that with modding/mapping. It is very much its own thing, though, and that's not bad. I still really like it.

8. A worthwhile investment of time and money if you like first-person shooters, both classic and new. Also a really good medium for testing gameplay ideas via enhanced engines and source ports.

9. Doom 3 was a step backwards in terms of carrying on the gameplay values that the series established. I feel that the only reason why people even remember it is because "Doom" is in the name.

1. Male, 19

2. Argentina, city of Rosario

3. Doom 95, Doom II, Doom 3 BFG Edition ( i didnt played the expansions yet ), Doom 64 and Doom 2016

4. Original Doom because it revolutionized gaming in a lot of ways ( not just the grandaddy of FPS as most people know it )

5. Doom II - Doom - Doom 2016 - Doom 3 - Doom 64 ( I love Doom 64 but as a N64 exclusive pseudo-sequel made by Midway theres no point of comparison with the others )

6. Neither. All Doom games are a product of their respective time but i would choose Doom 2016 ( yet again, go try to compare the development team of Doom 2016 with the metalheads playing d&d and watching Evil Dead 2 and Aliens from 1993 )

7. It didnt gave me nostalgia and thats a good thing. It rather felt like a modern rendition of Good ole FPS fun 

8. Its among the titans of gaming history and it gained a small place in popular culture. Doom unleashed the creativity of thousands and thousands of people around the globe. Doom is a simple and addictive formula that doesnt fade with time, "Weapons-Enemies-Level Design" are just like "Bass-Drums-Guitar"

9. Like it or not, Doom 3 expanded the series in another direction. Many think its the black sheep of the series. I like to think Doom 3 its a good detour from the fast-paced all guns blazing we all know  

10. I would add another question "What do you think its the future of the franchise?

Hello Doom community! I'm a Game Design student from the UK and my current research project is about Doom, I was hoping you could all give me some answers to some questions as I am no professional at Doom and have little knowledge of its history. I feel this is the best place to go to ask questions about this topic.

The questions I'd like to ask are:

1. Your age and gender

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide, I will really appreciate it!

Edit: If there are any additional sources of research you think I could use I'd love to check them out :)

Edit 2: Should have mentioned that all research will remain confidential and anonymous!

Edit 3: Optional anonymous Questionnaire you can take to give me more data if you would like to: https://goo.gl/forms/kPqVbe7j1hjDVP9y1

Edit 4: Regarding an Ethics Protocol, there's nothing like that where I'm from and I wasn't informed of anything of the sort so I'm quite confused about the whole thing. I've reached a daily post limit for today so I can't reply to the thread or messages regarding the subject, apologies.

Man, I'm disappointed. I was expecting some kind of hilariously academic Phd thesis on Doom, like the struggle between man and demon, or the inherent nihilist existential atavistic tendencies of ID Software in the 1990s...