Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

TAS (tool-assisted) demos: part 2

Nice. Crazy set of prerequisites, heh. A minor historic aside: kimo once built a map specifically for showcasing entering and returning from the void and included a demo. That would make this the second out-n-in demo, but the first demo on a "legit" map, heh.

41 minutes ago, dew said:

Nice. Crazy set of prerequisites, heh. A minor historic aside: kimo once built a map specifically for showcasing entering and returning from the void and included a demo. That would make this the second out-n-in demo, but the first demo on a "legit" map, heh.

Xepop experimented with it too in 2010 ^^

I'll note that kimo has the walls facing the void, which isn't really that different from just removing them and claiming the same thing (you'd never find that in a normal map).

So it's a different trick than the e2m6 void glide, and also it was Looper who on stream showed a similar thing within the map (a fence instead of the backside of a wall, but it works the same) which is where I got this idea from, so yeah xepop and\or looper have done similar things already.

Do we get an easy to watch youtube version of this? 

best reason to come back here - new Zeromastervideo

2nd best reason to come back - crazy TAS Stuff

...so I guess this be incredible ;)  

3 hours ago, PanterD2S said:

Do we get an easy to watch youtube version of this? 

Sure, I'll post a video in a few minutes

edit:

The only problem with this trick without the use of turbo and coop is that I am not 100% sure how a lost soul will behave if hit by a rocket, but from a test map I did manage to do it if I had it locked in place (actually I didn't know how to do coop tas, so I might try again with 2nd player to see if I can get it that way as well, and if that works it should be good for a 30uv tas).

edit2: using the same geometry and a 2nd player that dies (like a lost soul would) from the rocket boost I managed to get through the wall, so I see no reason why this wouldn't work for say a 30uv TAS with no turbo or coop.

Edited by ZeroMaster010

urm....thanks alot^

First 2-3 seconds all is fine - remember the game (yay!), remember the map ....but then... I claim this to be "magic" - absolutely no clue what youre doing and why 2 players n stuff is needed... some really lucky hit by Imp Fireball wont do it in single player run?  

Oh....and you sure u didnt use IDclip? ;)

Spoiler

soon this gonna look completely like a Portal Speedrun. Step out of bounce - ignore map, run to end ^^

Have you seen e2m6 or e1m8 uv-speed? sometimes it's possible to go through the walls if they have certain angles, which is the case for the corner here on lv28. Getting through the wall is possible here without turbo, 2player and the imp, but I need either a lost soul or a player with me out of the map. It's possible to kill a pain elemental next to the wall and have him spawn a lost soul on the outside and then have him follow me to the exit area. The 2nd player or lost soul is needed to be able to get inside the exit room.

Usually there isn't anything useful to do outside of the map and most of the time you can't actually move anywhere even if you find a way out (which is also quite rare). So there are 3 unlikely things that have to be there for it to be useful. This happens on E2M6 and E1M8 that doesn't require tools, on lv31 it's also possible to exit, but it doesn't save time. Then there are these recent discoveries (TNT map 18 and lv28) which are probably impossible outside of a TAS, so not likely it will look like portal :)

sometimes it's possible to go through the walls

think I saw something like this in a map 2 recording recently.

Getting through the wall is possible here without turbo, 2player and the imp, but I need either a lost soul or a player with me out of the map.

mhm. to get back into the map at the end area is the problem?  Lost souls tend to leave map from time to time (something to do with full maps and PE not shooting at all? not sure but seen quite some action outside "kinda" often with Lost souls)  - at least I remember this happened in map 10.

Maybe its possible to fall into the end without re-entering at all ?   However, If you already can LEAVE the map - I wouldnt give up at that point ;) 

It's possible to kill a pain elemental next to the wall and have him spawn a lost soul on the outside and then have him follow me to the exit area. The 2nd player or lost soul is needed to be able to get inside the exit room.

so in theory its doable ?

Some single player TAS without Turbo probably most impressive here saying "its theoretically possible without TAS too.." - no need to do in 4s, I really enjoy some longer struggles like in e2m8pacifist... probably even more than watching 4- 9s .lmps hundreds of times , 2playersturbo255 isnt even a category isnt it? :D

Still great stuff

on lv31 it's also possible to exit

guess the small ending switches work great "from outside" too?

so not likely it will look like portal :)

when i make it back in another 20 years to watch the latest speedruns I guess it will ;)

When a pain elemental dies it spawns lost souls, and if it is close enough to a thin wall then it can spawn them on the outside of the map.

It's not possible to activate the exit linedef from the outside, at least nobody has ever seen that and there's nothing to suggest it should be possible. It is possible to activate a switch from the outside like e2m6 and lv31 though.

This is as close to impossible as you'll get for non-TAS, and the rocket launcher is far out of the way, so someone would have to do a 30uv TAS to show it off without the use of turbo and 2 player. Hopefully someone will do that some day :)

so someone would have to do a 30uv TAS...Hopefully someone will do that some day

yeah but thats gonna need some helluva guy ^

With all this bazillion of Hypermodern tricks shown somewhere, drawn together... - FORTUNATELY most maptimes are really short nowadays....

28 in 5s,  21 in 3s...episode3 probably barely even a minute ;)

Now @Player177, give those dead soldiers a break, they've only just had their first cup of coffee!

Excellent run, I thought the wheels might fall off at the end on the reality run but you somehow made it work!

A little progress update on the SF2012 TAS UV Speed attempt Episode 1 and 2 are done :D

15 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Now @Player177, give those dead soldiers a break, they've only just had their first cup of coffee!

Excellent run, I thought the wheels might fall off at the end on the reality run but you somehow made it work!

I can imagine like how would it be if it was a movie shooting. We haven't got much caffeine left! Leaden Skies - Scene 8 - finale , take 108, ACTION!

Chillax Map01 UV-Max TAS in 3:24 (fully built)

Complevel: 9

Tools: glboom-plus 2.5.1.5 to create initial demo file, xdre 2.20 for demo building.

Thanks ZM, for the upload.

(Playback with chillax-v9.7.2FIXED.wad)

01chx324.zip

Edited by rodster