Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Doom 2016 2(018) - Hell on E3?

But there's no point in bringing up DOOM4 1.0 here. They've scrapped it, went as far away from it as possible and the result was successful. They're never going back to it, not after the reception of DOOM4. The only thing we'd be losing with a Hell on Earth scenario is another DOOM set inside a remote metal space box.

Also gotta say I love the title of this thread, DOOM 2016 2(018). That perfectly captures everything that's wrong with those wonderful new-fangled naming conventions that publishers enforce these days.

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 10:42 AM, DMPhobos said:

with a lot of cues of other shooters such as Call of Duty or Battlefield

Battlefield

Seriously? No one has heard of Rainbow Six? No? Anyway, what scrapped version.

4 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

what scrapped version.

He is referring to the original version of Doom 4. Doom 4 was originally going to take place on Earth and take a lot of cues from Modern Military Shooters. Here's what it would have looked like.

Back in late 2012/early 2013, they rebooted the project and started working on the version that we now know as Doom (2016).

Edited by Eligos

^ I always wondered what was that tower in the distance at 1:56. But oh boy how un-Doom this looked, considering it even had a resistance force...

@The-Heretic-Assassin You can also watch Noclip's documentary on Doom 2016's development for more info, if you haven't done this already.

Actually that scene where they all walk towards this gigantic hellish tumor is just a perfect depiction of Hell on Earth in my opinion. I'm a huge DOOM3 fan and I know I'm in the extreme minority but I wouldn't mind a DOOM game similiar to that thematically, provided the gameplay was good. I've never really agreed that DOOM is just "action! action! badassery! heavy fucking metal!" but I guess that's solely what the whole gaming world believes now. So nothing like that will ever come out from id.

42 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Actually that scene where they all walk towards this gigantic hellish tumor is just a perfect depiction of Hell on Earth in my opinion. I'm a huge DOOM3 fan and I know I'm in the extreme minority but I wouldn't mind a DOOM game similiar to that thematically, provided the gameplay was good. I've never really agreed that DOOM is just "action! action! badassery! heavy fucking metal!" but I guess that's solely what the whole gaming world believes now. So nothing like that will ever come out from id.

I really hope they don't honestly, that's like drastically limiting the creativity and imagination. I wouldn't mind a new D3 styled entry either. After all my favorite Doom game is Doom64 so you see towards what I'm leaning, provided that the atmosphere isn't the only good thing about it.

My only gripe with D3 is that the gameplay sucked, the vast majority of time being spent from corridor to corridor and when the action kicked in it wasn't even great. They almost completely changed the genre to horror with barely any fun, if at all. Hell was the only thing it got right from my POV but too bad the time spent there is nowhere near enough...

I do like that scene a lot, but sadly from all footage available that was also the only sequence where you could say "now we're talking, finally some real Doom!" . Nothing else in the scrapped material I've seen makes me feel this way. A few pics even gave me a Stalker: SoC vibe (well much better than CoD by far, but... )

On 4/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, Eligos said:

[Video]

I didn't realize that some actual prototype game-play footage had surfaced... I thought the only footage that had been released from the first iteration of Doom 4 was that one cinematic trailer (which was pretty much shown in the middle of the video). It's pretty neat how the Glory Kills and some weapon models were carried over from that version, and the ones that were shown are practically unchanged in the final game.

I think it would have been nice if the first iteration of Doom 4 was simply repurposed and rebranded to remove its similarities to Doom, while we would still get the Doom (2016) we have now. I always thought the cinematic trailer fit RAGE pretty well. I doubt they'll make a sequel to RAGE, but if they do I'd be up for it.

Regardless, I'm confident that whatever id Software does with the next Doom will be something that I'll enjoy.