Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altair314

Full Original Game

Hi! I'm very new to the doom scene, but from what I've seen from the 2016 version, and what I've played of the original 1993 version, I do love the series. But I do have a question. Can I get a source port that contains the full game? Or only just the shareware levels? I have a Mac and a Raspberry Pi to work with, as well as maybe a windows 10 computer. Any help you could give would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Altair

@Altair314

@Voltcom9 is right, Freedoom is an option. But if you want the original Doom (or Doom 2) from the 90's...

The source ports only allow you to play the game on a modern system once you have the main wad file. As far as I know, there aren't any legal source ports that have a full version of the game accompanying them. So, while you can legally download the shareware for Doom 1, you'll need to buy a copy of everything else you want.

You can either download it from GOG (or any number of other legal sites) or buy copies of the games you want on eBay (or similar sites). Once you have a copy of the wad file, just do what @Marn said.

By the way, regardless of what anyone will tell you, the Dooms from the mid-90's are NOT abandonware.

Steam is another place to get Ultimate Doom (Doom 1), Doom 2, Final Doom, and maybe even Master Levels, and bundles, and for a pretty good price, and even better if it happens to be on sale, as it sometimes is.

A question: is it possible to install the GOG Doom release on Linux (without resorting to Wine)? It says it only supports Windows.

Steam doesn't even let you download the game if it's not compatible with your OS.

6 hours ago, Redwind said:

A question: is it possible to install the GOG Doom release on Linux (without resorting to Wine)? It says it only supports Windows.

Steam doesn't even let you download the game if it's not compatible with your OS.

Directly, no. But you can use innoextract to get the files out manually; the only ones you need are the *.wad files.

Though I would say Wine is probably a lot easier to manage. :P

Freedoom is a cool project in its own right, but if you like Doom you should really buy the full versions in one of the packs on Steam or GOG. I think I got Doom I/II/Plutonia/TNT/Master Levels for like $10 on a GOG sale several years ago. You would happily spend $20 on a big pizza or a couple of six packs, it's a steal to pay a similar amount for a game that has effectively infinite, high-quality content and absolutely no manipulative bullshit.

Edited by Big Ol Billy : FreedoOm, damn autocorrect

22 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Freedom is a cool project in its own right, but if you like Doom you should really buy the full versions in one of the packs on Steam or GOG. I think I got Doom I/II/Plutonia/TNT/Master Levels for like $10 on a GOG sale several years ago. You would happily spend $20 on a big pizza or a couple of six packs, it's a steal to pay a similar amount for a game that has effectively infinite, high-quality content and absolutely no manipulative bullshit.

This guy. He gets it.

I assume you use steam, see spoiler.

Spoiler

C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/doom2 (Or doom)

Or if you're a 64bit feller, replace the (x86) with a (x64).