Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Glaice

Hellbrary feels a lot like Doom 2. It's pretty simple all the way through. The main negative is visually; it's not very detailed in most places - lots of the same textures and lots of rectangles. But I did not find the rectangular layout annoying. There are enough bookshelves and stairs and other things to keep it from feeling like square after square. And even with the lack of detail, the areas were just distinct enough to work. Combat was pretty easy for the most part. The traps tended to bring lots of monsters to one area, generally predictably so. But the gameplay did not feel like a grind. 

Bottom line: it looks okay and plays pretty good. 

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Hellbrary feels a lot like Doom 2. It's pretty simple all the way through. The main negative is visually; it's not very detailed in most places - lots of the same textures and lots of rectangles. But I did not find the rectangular layout annoying. There are enough bookshelves and stairs and other things to keep it from feeling like square after square. And even with the lack of detail, the areas were just distinct enough to work. Combat was pretty easy for the most part. The traps tended to bring lots of monsters to one area, generally predictably so. But the gameplay did not feel like a grind.

Yeah, Hellbrary is meant to be designed to have the look and feel of a library. Its successor, Hellbrary 2, is much larger but I did vary some of its texture usage here and there but it's still incomplete as of now. Maybe I can manage to finish it before then end of 2018?

Here's some Hellbrary 2 screenshots, up to date ones.

Edited by Glaice

On 3/24/2018 at 2:11 AM, HAK3180 said:

@xdarkmasterx

I'm noticing a trend with this mapper: challenging combat that is usually pretty well done (though sometimes bordering on unfair) and poor visuals. This map starts in a room with three doors, three of which are accessible and lead to the three keys. Each path has different challenges and they seem like they would work decently well in any order. Then you return to the final door for a couple more big fights and the exit. The general flow/design works. The areas are connected to one another and are all very different.

But the map just does not look good. The geometry is random when it should be structured. There is no theme. Too many textures are overused - massive areas all in the same texture with no detailing at all. And I was no fan of the very odd use of huge doors that really serve as rooms.

Bottom line: Pretty good fights, pretty bad visuals.

yeah i know hat map had more visuals before but to prevent VISPLANE ERROR into a vinalla again much detail must be sacrificed sorry about that XD also i give you the wrong version and some custom texture were not visible because of this OOPS XD next time i get it right i hoppe ;)

@Glaice

I like the look of the map. It's tidy architecturally, but not at all in a boring way. It also has some hellish elements creeping in, but it's always done well. It stays thematic all the way through. I got a little bit confused in a couple spots, but the layout was straightforward even while it was skillfully intricate.

I really like the difficulty and combat. There are some tough fights that are never unfair. The last section was nice, running around frantically but unable to retreat fully. One more thing I thought worked well was the mood. The combination of creepy visuals, creepy music, traps, and occasional empty stretches made it feel foreboding.

Bottom line: it's not too long and not too hard. Grab this map and have some fun.

@Glaice

Doomworld download

It's a nice tech base with nothing poorly done and nothing superbly done. It looked nice and played pretty good. I thought the ending fight was a little weak because of the ability (and it being the obvious thing to do) to stand behind a door and shoot everything. Plus, enemies spawned in such a way that you had to backtrack to kill them, but there was no longer a need to backtrack and they couldn't really hurt you if you just kept going.

Bottom line: it's another solid, somewhat short map that's worth your time. 

On 3/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, HAK3180 said:

I like the look of the map. It's tidy architecturally, but not at all in a boring way. It also has some hellish elements creeping in, but it's always done well. It stays thematic all the way through. I got a little bit confused in a couple spots, but the layout was straightforward even while it was skillfully intricate.

I really like the difficulty and combat. There are some tough fights that are never unfair. The last section was nice, running around frantically but unable to retreat fully. One more thing I thought worked well was the mood. The combination of creepy visuals, creepy music, traps, and occasional empty stretches made it feel foreboding.

Bottom line: it's not too long and not too hard. Grab this map and have some fun.

This was a collab map with Jodwin and I had fun building it with him. If you can tell apart his architecture from mine, I'll be impressed. The BFG secret and last arena wasn't mind, just to let you know.

I'll be away from home for about a week and a half and only maintain a minimal Doomworld presence, including no new videos. Please do continue to post maps and I will get to them promptly when I return.

I'd be interested in seeing you play my only released map. I made it 7 years ago and I thought it was cool at the time but I haven't played it in so long so I get the feeling it's not. After doing so many reviews I'm pretty sure it's shit as but it'd be a laugh to see you play it.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, Glaice said:

This was a collab map with Jodwin and I had fun building it with him. If you can tell apart his architecture from mine, I'll be impressed. The BFG secret and last arena wasn't mind, just to let you know.

I beat your level.

On 6.4.2018 at 3:59 AM, xvertigox said:

my only released map. I made it 7 years ago and I thought it was cool at the time but I haven't played it in so long so I get the feeling it's not.

I gave it a shot! Had fun throughout. Loved the sense of progression from area to area. You should do a remake. That is... you should release more maps in general.

@nervewar

I enjoyed this very much. Nice texture use and the concept was pretty well executed: get out alive after a seismic event has stranded you in a mining facility. It's reminiscent of a kinda crappy horror/thriller movie where they start with a party of around ten and you know immediately that only about two or three will be alive at the end.

I played on Hurt Me Plenty and did not find it too difficult, but the combat wasn't boring either.

Doomworld forum topic

Download the .zip file 

Hey man thanks so much for playing! Glad you're liking it. You found a couple bugs I hadn't seen before. Really, really weird and annoying about the blue switches to the lift not working, as far as I know you're the first that's ran into that issue. Would you mind letting me know which exact version of GZDoom you're playing in?

Also, hadn't seen that bug with the door next to the chainsaw either, I'll investigate that as well. Also appreciate you pointing out a few texture alignment issues.

Thanks a ton for the vid! It's so cool to see other people play it :) Cheers!

32 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nervewar

I enjoyed this very much. Nice texture use and the concept was pretty well executed: get out alive after a seismic event has stranded you in a mining facility. It's reminiscent of a kinda crappy horror/thriller movie where they start with a party of around ten and you know immediately that only about two or three will be alive at the end.

I played on Hurt Me Plenty and did not find it too difficult, but the combat wasn't boring either.

Doomworld forum topic

Download the .zip file 

@nervewar

GZDoom 3.3.0

I'm pretty sure it's just that Doomguy can't actually go in the areas with the switches because they aren't tall enough. This means that he has to "use" from behind the blue door line. I had "all special lines can block use" set to "yes." When I set it to "no," it worked fine. "Yes" is the default for "Doom" and "Doom strict" compatibility. "No" is the default for pretty much everything else, including "Default."

Awesome, thank you so much for this information. I'll test accordingly and hopefully get this resolved and get a bugfix update out soon!

4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nervewar

GZDoom 3.3.0

I'm pretty sure it's just that Doomguy can't actually go in the areas with the switches because they aren't tall enough. This means that he has to "use" from behind the blue door line. I had "all special lines can block use" set to "yes." When I set it to "no," it worked fine. "Yes" is the default for "Doom" and "Doom strict" compatibility. "No" is the default for pretty much everything else, including "Default."

1 hour ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

[Carrot Cake Massacre]

Sorry, but I'm not interested in a map of that length.

@xvertigox

Download the .rar

I liked this for the most part. It is definitely not very detailed, but the design, albeit somewhat crude, really is not bad except for one long backtrack. The first outdoor area has a lot to explore with monsters coming from different areas. The indoor area also has multiple areas, and the path I chose was the reason for my lack of ammo and several deaths later on. The combat was pretty good. It felt very Doom 1-ish in the beginning and had a nice barrel+chasm effect later on. 

I feel like everything bad about this map xvertigox knows and would do differently today, so I'd love to see more maps from him. 

It turns out the doors are all zero-tagged, which can be fine with the right port settings, but that's why I couldn't get into the exit door; it's a switch, rather than a direct. 

Bottom line: This could be a lot better with just some texture changes and a few flow improvements, but it's not half bad.

Me typing stuff as I watch the video:

Thanks heaps for giving my map a jam. Your videos are real mean btw. I haven't played the map in years so it's pretty buzzy to see it again. It's so funny how amateurish it is. I remember making it and thinking "this shits pretty detailed" but nope. I made the map in a day while wankered on tramadol but it's the design decision that are dogshit lol.

I'm glad you mentioned the Doom 1 feeling, I've been playing a lot of 94/95 Doom 1 wads and plan on making more maps with the (hopefully) same feel. It's definitely super motivating to see someone play what you've made. With the zigzag bridge and imps the idea was for the player to run across it while blowing up the barrels and dodging the fireballs. That doesn't really work if there's no reason to so I'd change the sectors to lower or something as you run across.

God, the balance is bad if you don't go through the map the exact way I do. You just mentioned this and it's totally legit. I should have put a keycard on one of the desks in the living quarters and made the door to the slime a keydoor.

Also so sorry for making it so shit you couldn't finish, that's noob as fuck. I only ever tested this in GZDoom (I know...) Also same for the lift in nukage area.

13 hours ago, xvertigox said:

God, the balance is bad if you don't go through the map the exact way I do. You just mentioned this and it's totally legit. I should have put a keycard on one of the desks in the living quarters and made the door to the slime a keydoor.

It was interesting to see how Hak played it very differently than I did.

Especially the outdoor section in the beginning. I figured that since Imps don't give you ammo, you are supposed to make a run for it. Felt a bit like a D-Day assault when I just ran through and only occasionally shot Imps left and right.

I found the SSG secret and had it before Hak so I had more rockets when I came to the room with the barons.

Funny: He reached that room with 7 health, I did with 9. The only screenshot I took shows it. (Yes, I take screenshots with my smartphone, lol).

Spoiler

20180407_231325.jpg

Edited by Ryublade

@Shneeble

Doomworld forum topic

In the video I finish the map about 9:00 and then go back and do much more commentary.

Shneeble has a lot to learn, from doing doors properly to visual appeal. But the gameplay is not horrible, nor is the general conceptual flow of the map. In other words, this map could be vastly improved while keeping most of the geometry and things. I always found it helpful if I didn't know how to do something to visualize it in an iwad map, then load that map in the editor and figure it out. For example, if you want windows in a building with monsters to shoot at you, you can look at Downtown in Doom 2.

Bottom line: There have been much worse first wads. It's never broken and never unplayably bad. I think there's potential for Shneeble to be a solid mapper with some dedication and time.

Already posted this in vertigo's thread, but I figured you'd like to give this a shot as well! Takes around 6 minutes to complete and intended difficulty is UV. Boom compat so preferred ports are PRBoom+ or Eternity, but you're free to use something else that's compatible.

jaunt-map01.7z

I'm also looking for you to play and record my maps.

They both are litte maps in fact they are reskinned E1M1s. One require a little bit tweaking in gzdoom options, i know you dont like that too much but i'd be happy if you do.