Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

2 minutes ago, DoomKrakken said:

I WANT THIS. :D

Can this technique be applied to HUD and actor sprites too?

Yes, but the problem with applying them to actor sprites is that you would need pbr texture maps for every single frame of animation and all of them would have to be made manually pretty much. This would take a LONG time to do.

Long time?  NO PROBLEM. :D

I just needed to know that it could be done.

So how would I go about doing this?

2 minutes ago, DoomKrakken said:

Long time?  NO PROBLEM. :D

I just needed to know that it could be done.

So how would I go about doing this?

I could be wrong but I assume you would just create custom actors/monsters that are the same as the originals but then also assign them the pbr maps. This might not be the best way to do it though.

And lmao at your "NO PROBLEM" reply. Don't think you realize how long this would take.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:41 PM, Arl said:

Iimagine a point light that spawns in flats that represent lamps, such as FLAT2, in wich the level of brightness i the sector determines the level of light strength. A man can dream...

I'm pretty sure you can do that... At the very least with ZScript. The code would be hellish and for some levels it'd eat insane amounts of CPU (10sector.wad, I'm looking at you) but I think it's doable.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I think this looks better than any "HD Texture Packs" out there.

That's because without PBR HD textures just look like high resolution images glued to a model. Which they are. PBR textures aren't even really textures in the conventional sense, they are just instructions telling the engine how to render the textures. Which parts look like metal, how smooth they are, how to react to light etc.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

It makes everything look kind of plasticy..   

So That's how Duke Nukem Forever's materials were made, Heh.

Edited by dmg_64

17 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

For now, they do.  I wonder what'll happen when someone applies this stuff to the HD Texture Packs...

About making PBR for sprites, let me first do a test and then we can talk about how such thing would be too demanding to actually be achievable.

Edit: Nop, it does not seems to work with sprites.

2 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

For now, they do.  I wonder what'll happen when someone applies this stuff to the HD Texture Packs...

You'll end up with something like this beauty.

Edited by Arl

I am not sure how I feel about it being as complex as it is, I wish it was using a more simple method with less as many textures.

Edited by Avoozl

11 hours ago, Arl said:

Edit: Nop, it does not seems to work with sprites.

Why not?

6 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I can't get this to work at all. No matter what I do, nothing happens. Someone help me...

Note that without dynamic lights your textures won't look much different even if they do work.

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

Note that without dynamic lights your textures won't look much different even if they do work.

I even attempted to shoot a plasma rifle but nothing happened...

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I even attempted to shoot a plasma rifle but nothing happened...

The way I did it is that I put all the texture maps into the auto folders and named them the same thing as my main texture. Also make sure they are png true color.

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I did recompress it into a pk3 and yet nothing happened...

You are doing something wrong. Either the files are in the wrong folders or are the wrong file format.

On 12/04/2018 at 8:29 AM, Arl said:

I also struggle with this. Fist make sure name conventions are correct, I don't know if you separate 'normal maps' in this post or you actualy have the folder named like that, when is actually 'normalmaps' without spaces.

Next, note that PBR require four kinds of textures (normal map, AO, roughness, metallic) while simple Normal map requires two (normal map, specular), let's say that these are two diferent circustances. If you lack or put something extra in any of those circustances you'll get nothing in game. The only texture that is required and work in both circustances is the normal map.

Another think that gave me problems was the names of the textures, since I was looking at the patches in WXE qhile the actual textures Doom uses are the combined patches defines in the TEXTURE lump, so there is where I needed to look out for the texture names. FLATS are unchange and the name stays the same as the graphics you can se in, for instance, XWE.

Also, make sure to have everything okey in Options/display options/dynamic light options. And to have 'Load Lights' checked in the GZDoom launcher.

I tried to define a GLDEFS with no avail.

Here's how I solved it, thx again @Arl

21 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

You are doing something wrong. Either the files are in the wrong folders or are the wrong file format.

I also just extracted the files from the archive into a folder and checked if everything was in the right place, loaded it and still to no avail.. 

12 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I am not sure how I feel about it being like Doom 3's style with the four different textures, I wish it was using a more simple method.

Doom 3 just used normal + specular if I remember correctly. So only 3 textures. We've leapfrogged that by a fair few years and have gone right to PBR which uses five maps.

This isn't "Doom 3 style", this is "every game style".

Well it's a bit too hard to be specific in what I was trying to say, but my memory made me think it was either Quake 4 or Doom 3 so I didn't know what else to say, but there are games that came out years later than those games such as Oblivion which only required two textures and had optional textures for other effects such as glow.

I wonder if now that Doom has PBR people will start modding it into Quake as well. I find it sort of odd that Doom has gotten there first honestly :/

11 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I wonder if now that Doom has PBR people will start modding it into Quake as well. I find it sort of odd that Doom has gotten there first honestly :/

I don't find it odd at all, considering how big the Doom community is compared to Quake's.

On 18/04/2018 at 9:28 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

Maybe Darkplaces can finally get a new update as we haven't seen a stable build since 2014.

I'm reaching completion of entire E1M1:

IiESLga.png

9hSjDcJ.png

VVr4W74.png

Screens taken with this dynamic lighted version of e1m1:

Edited by Arl

On 4/17/2018 at 10:01 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

I also just extracted the files from the archive into a folder and checked if everything was in the right place, loaded it and still to no avail.. 

I use Substance Designer and I noticed that GZDoom won't accept any textures that program exports, including color ones. Not sure why that is, but only after I open and save each PNG in Paint do they work in the game. Try saving all of your PBR textures in Paint then re-import them.

10 hours ago, Xane123 said:

I use Substance Designer and I noticed that GZDoom won't accept any textures that program exports, including color ones. Not sure why that is, but only after I open and save each PNG in Paint do they work in the game. Try saving all of your PBR textures in Paint then re-import them.

Not even that works...

On 4/17/2018 at 2:31 AM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

true

On 30/4/2018 at 12:54 AM, Arl said:

I'm reaching completion of entire E1M1:

IiESLga.png

I like what you're doing, but personally i think you should tone them down, having the surfaces too shiny and with a strong depth maps actually breaks the effect and makes everything look like a big reflective-gooey mess, the key here is being subtle.