Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat/Fill '94 PWADs Month

People were clamoring for another one of these months: the idea behind this month comes from Keyboard_Doomer and is in the spirit of the /idgames exploration thread centered around The Great Art of Table-Filling. The premise is simple: post demos for '94 PWADs, provided they have no demo in the given category before, and fill up those DSDA tables! The top scorer will be crowned with the most prestigious (probably unofficial) title of King/Queen of Table-Filling. Points will be gained as follows:

• 3 points for an undone UV-Max
  • 1 point for any other Compet-N certified™ category (and Stroller because it's sick) EXCEPT
  • 0 points for any categories on nomonsters unless the map has no monsters to begin with. Nomo demos are great when they have effort put into them, but I'd rather not incentivize horrible table-fillers where you don't demonstrate anything even resembling the map's gameplay.
  • no points for FDAs, max attempts/faildemos, or TASes
  • no points for deathmatch wads
  • any wads that it's reasonable to believe to have been made in '94 are allowed. This means /idgames upload date, textfile date, or file timestamp, in most cases, are possible ways to identify a '94 wad.
  • demo submissions must contain organized textfiles still or I will just ignore them (basically, don't dump a huge zip of random disorganized lmp files)
  • should still use the appropriate source port for the map being recorded (for most wads in this set, this will be -complevel 3 or vanilla Doom v1.9)

Demos must be posted by end-of-day May 17th.

Previous thread - Beat no demos month

Old threads:

Point standings (includes posts up to 05/18/2018, 1:25 AM central US time): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L65fUZnG8KPNGeoXwLWW4QJz1rhBQ96EZVRWu3hFM-w/edit?usp=sharing.

Edited by 4shockblast : Update

This looks like a tasty incentive. Will see what I can do!

Anyone got any recommendations for '94 wads?

NJDoom2 by Enjay (Nigel Rowand)

Map16 UV Speed in 0:30 nj16-030.zip

Key grab. I don't know why, but it only seemed to work from this direction.

Edit: No need for this to go to DSDA (unless you want to), as I superseded it with a faster Pacifist.

Edited by Grazza

BTW, if anyone is looking for something to record on, I have attached an episode (e1m1-e1m9) that seems to have been lost in the mists of time. The follow-up is in the archive (here), but the first one isn't. The maps seem quite interesting on the whole. It's possible some of them might need -complevel 0 (Doom.exe 1.2) to work exactly as intended, but I'm not sure.

doom-j1.zip

NJDoom2 - Map01

UV-Max in 1:59

Nightmare Speed in 0:50.

nj01.zip

Edited by Bob9001 : Updated complevel in txt files

6 hours ago, Grazza said:

Key grab. I don't know why, but it only seemed to work from this direction.

The key is 40x40 units placed in the center of a 64x64 unit platform, so you need to be moving at least 32-20=12 units per tic, higher speed increases your chances because it also depends on your position (for example if you are just under 2 units away from colliding with the platform then 14 units per tic would work). The reason why north doesn't work as easily is because the speed gets split into 2 or something (as explained in linguica's movement bible) when going north or east and when you are moving 15 units per tic or more.

So it is possible to do it when going north if you are either moving between 12-15 units per tic (which gives little room for error in position and makes it quite difficult), or of course a wallrun which in this case is even more difficult.

10 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Anyone got any recommendations for '94 wads?

There's all kinds of stuff out there, I have a general recommendations list here that includes some '94 PWADs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxz6rigRB_B9OHtVJz8iLKXMLGTglrAmBKWLg7n40so/edit?usp=sharing. The year isn't listed on the spreadsheet, but I think all the '94 wads on there are truetest.wad, nuclear2.wad, crusher.wad, crater.wad, and ESCAPE.WAD. I like going here and seeing what I end up finding when I look for wads like this: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?random.

6 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

NJDoom2 - Map01

UV-Max in 1:59

Cool to see demos coming in! Keep in mind that while demos beating existing records are fine to post here, the main purpose behind the thread is filling categories for maps that lack demos, particularly for the UV-Max category. Hence, anything that beats an existing record doesn't receive any points.

Sorry if I asked some dumb questions here. '94 means something around 1994, but not exactly 1994? Also, I directly went to /idgames and sort the files by time, and I found only few of them in 94. Probably I'm missing something?

Here's a quite low-hanging fruit, a simple and small map: E1L1KP.wad

UV Max 1:31

e1l1kp-131.zip

UV Speed 0:12

e1l1kp-012.zip

Also, I directly went to /idgames and sort the files by time, and I found only few of them in 94. Probably I'm missing something?

Which folder? Ha, I myself looked through levels/doom2 and was surprised to find very few 1994 wads, until I remembered that Doom 2 only came out late in 1994.

Edited by JudgeDeadd

@GarrettChan, '94 in this case means anything specifically from 1994. It doesn't necessarily need to have been uploaded in 1994 (a lot of this stuff was uploaded to idgames in the mid-2000s, for instance) nor uploaded to /idgames at all, but there must be reasonable evidence that the wad was made in 1994. Most of what you're interested in will be in https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/, there's a much smaller number of Doom 2 maps released in 1994.

4 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

Cool to see demos coming in! Keep in mind that while demos beating existing records are fine to post here, the main purpose behind the thread is filling categories for maps that lack demos, particularly for the UV-Max category. Hence, anything that beats an existing record doesn't receive any points.

Yeah I thought about that after I did that, duly noted :-)

NJDoom2 Map 11-13

Map 11 - UV-Max in 2:54, UV-Speed in 1:33. (Map 11 displays 6 secrets but using doom building I can only find 2, so it must be a bug?).

Map 12 - UV-Max in 7:05, UV-Speed in 3:04.

Map 13 - UV-Max in 8:15, UV-Speed in 2:26. (Map 13 has weird disappearing monsters towards the end of the level when looking at a certain angle, must be another bug?).

Nj map11-13.zip

Edited by Bob9001 : Updated complevel in txt files

For convenience here is the list of the wads that are included in wad compilations which I know of that include (not only) '94 wads - info taken directly from the compilations' text files:

https://pastebin.com/raw/b6TSXgmy

You can simply Ctrl+F to see if the wad you want to record for was included in any of the compilations (and afterwards confirm if it's indeed the same wad and if there are already demos for the map(s) on DSDA).

DSDA pages for the compilations:

heroes

heroes2

wadpak1a

wadpak2

wadpak3

wadpak4

Note: Not every map/wad included in Heroes/Heroes2 is from 1994 (Heroes2 has mostly 1995 maps). This list is provided so you can check if the map you're about to run doesn't already have a demo for the category in one of these compilations.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

^Thanks, Keyboard_Doomer. It's funny that there are a bunch of UV -Fast runs for heroes.wad, but not UV Max...

I have a question about the demo txt file template on dsda. For the "exe" field do you have to put the version of the source port or do you just put the name of the exe as it appears in the folder? Like say I recorded a demo with PrBoom, would I put just "prboom-plus.exe" OR would I put the version as well?

2 minutes ago, therektafire said:

I have a question about the demo txt file template on dsda. For the "exe" field do you have to put the version of the source port or do you just put the name of the exe as it appears in the folder? Like say I recorded a demo with PrBoom, would I put just "prboom-plus.exe" OR would I put the version as well?

I think having the version is better, or you can download some random people's .txt file to see how they wrote that.

Heroes

E1M1 UV Max in 4:28

her11-428.zip

It's a rather interesting map, and it gave me the feeling of BtSX E1M07 for some reason (of course, in different scale). I actually took some time to polish the run, but well, that's fine by me now.

NJDoom2 map16 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:26 (also includes a 0:27 where everything went much better up until a cock-up at the exit)

I apologize for the vulgar and unnecessary use of weapons in my earlier demo.

nj16p026.zip

The Lord by Jeff Corr (yes, this is the wad that has a level called "Lava Pits that Suck")

Map04 UV Speed in 1:39

First exit. Even more horrifyingly, I've recorded a demo that lasts more than a minute.

tlo4-139.zip