Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archaeo

Does anyone know how to use ZWADCONV.EXE

Does anyone know how to use ZWADCONV.EXE? I need to convert a doom type wad into a zdoomhexen type wad.

If you hade RTFM or simply started zwadconv, you would know that you have to use it like this:
zwadconv yourdoomformatiwad yourwannabehexenformatiwad
i.e. something like
zwadconv doom2.wad zdoom2.wad

This is what im doing: (zwadconv mywad.wad zmywad.wad) and it gives me this message: (Wad directory starts at 0x4c9188 and has 394 entries…….. new wad has 394 entries) but DeePsea still thinks it needs to be converted to Hexen type levels. Is DeePsea confused or am I?

Hiya.

DeepSea would be my bet. Can you open it in another wad editor? Can you play it in ZDOOM? If you can, then it's definitly DeepSea. If so, good luck in fixing it. I've found that DeepSea is fairly stable...but sometimes when it screws up and crashes, it REALLY screws itself. Big time. Reinstalling sometimes doesn't even work. Good luck!

pming said:

Hiya.

DeepSea would be my bet. Can you open it in another wad editor? Can you play it in ZDOOM? If you can, then it's definitly DeepSea. If so, good luck in fixing it. I've found that DeepSea is fairly stable...but sometimes when it screws up and crashes, it REALLY screws itself. Big time. Reinstalling sometimes doesn't even work. Good luck!

He he! Crap, that doesn’t sound good. Let’s just hope DeePsea doesn’t take a poop on my computer.

Archaeo said:

This is what im doing: (zwadconv mywad.wad zmywad.wad) and it gives me this message: (Wad directory starts at 0x4c9188 and has 394 entries…….. new wad has 394 entries) but DeePsea still thinks it needs to be converted to Hexen type levels. Is DeePsea confused or am I?

You need to select the ZDoomHexen project, not the normal Doom/Doom2 one.

Archaeo said:

(Wad directory starts at 0x4c9188 and has 394 entries…….. new wad has 394 entries)

That bit is confusing. One of the things zwadconv does is add a behavior lump to every level, so there should be 1 more lump in the converted wad for every level in your WAD.

pming said:

Please PAUL - you are giving bad advice. He NEVER said it crashed - sounds just like a simple case of matching projects, IWADs and PWADs. Reinstalling DeePsea does NOTHING at all (assuming one hasn't cross-linked files). I've not had a case from people who have bothered to email me that wasn't easy to identify and solve - but one has to take the time to do so. Btw, XP turns out to be an amazingly more stable environment for DeePsea.

The way to fix a bad file load (if one has auto-load turned on) is to either use the -N option when starting OR just delete the DEEP.CHK file. This recreates all support files. Besides that, DeePsea has extensive safety checking when it reads files like no other editor.

Also, since he said it tells him the level ".. needs to be converted to Hexen type levels..", it means he either did not change the IWAD to the new IWAD he created (assuming it went ok) or his level is not a Hexen type level (ambiguous here). All comments are for version 11.66 at sbsoftware.com - not the one here at DW.