Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom with PBR materials

On 4/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, Bauul said:

But with Materials, you can see exactly where it is, because of the massive obvious reflection in the textures. It's going to make naturally lighting a room far more difficult when you can't use Sector lighting and you can't just fling a few Dyn Lights about to light a room. You have to now be super conscious of where your Dyn Lights are so they don't look weird in the reflections.

I don't exactly see a problem on this. Projects involving Materials shound not be treated the same way as project without it, it's not hard for mappers to understand that.

The biggest problem now is outdoor areas, and how to make an actual sun reflection. The only practical method I see of doing this, is making the engine render any dynamic lights placed in the skybox in all Materials around sectors under skies. Or in case the map lacks a skybox, make it render a single mapinfo-defined dynamic light.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:50 PM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I don't exactly see a problem on this. Projects involving Materials shound not be treated the same way as project without it, it's not hard for mappers to understand that.

I didn't mean it was a problem, more an added consideration.  We've never had to worry about the exact position and quantity of dyn lights before, but we do now.  You're exactly right: projects involving materials need to be treated differently.  

Maybe it looks good when it is animated, but in a still image, it looks like mossy ground.

4 hours ago, Marn said:

I'm eagerly awaiting PBR fireblu.

Fireblu probably would have a very simple Material spec. Fire doesn't exactly reflect much light, and the texture itself wouldn't have any shadows on.

Really Fireblu is a light source, not a light reflector.

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I think that the nukage looks odd, but then again I don't know how it should look.

I think nobody knows :) I know only two things about this texture for sure: is green and toxic. Oh, and no animation yet - warp function doesn't work correctly with pbr.

Just now, Reinchard said:

I think nobody knows :) I know only two things about this texture for sure: is green and toxic. Oh, and no animation yet - warp function doesn't work correctly with pbr.

Then make your own animation.

Something feels off with that Ceiling Flat, looks a little too flat for a PBR variation? don't know if this is an early version but I just thought I should point it out.

8 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I like Floor5_2, I think it could be used both as a metal and concrete texture.

Well, aside from the fact that probably even id artist didn't know what was that supposed to be, the only lead we have in that matter is flat "floor5_4" which looks like made from the same texture, and floor5_4 is some kind of concrete blocks for sure. Take a look:

ZqtnbjK.jpg

You know, of course, I could made a different variation for all textures if I was crazy enough, but sorry, life's too short ;) Making 4-5 texture maps for each one material is enough time-consuming, so you'll have to do with my best guess in this matter.

6 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Something feels off with that Ceiling Flat, looks a little too flat for a PBR variation? don't know if this is an early version but I just thought I should point it out.

Hmm, looks pretty bumpy to me :)

0oPYR6v.jpg

mqiIjws.jpg

Oh yeah, it looks a lot more like a liquid now.

Could you make the BRNGRN walls more matte? They're so shiny they look like they're wet, or perhaps coated in high-gloss paint.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

Could you make the BRNGRN walls more matte? They're so shiny they look like they're wet, or perhaps coated in high-gloss paint.

I agree, I never saw it as a shiny metal. I saw it as covered with rust and grime. 

Anyway, when will the textures for the first level be done? Is a demo planned?

So what is this?

Making everything as shiny as possible, regardless of what it's supposed to represent?

In the E1M1 screenshot I see:

- a green wall that I always imagined to be a greenish concrete surface turned into something covered with, as Gez already said, high-gloss paint.

- a floor surface that's also a lot more shiny than stone should look. The tiles in my kitchen have a similar look but on the floor of some industrial facility it looks out of place.

- and to top it off, for the sake of shininess the stone ceiling turned into metal???

Come on! I absolutely love the possibilities of PBR, but it definitely needs a dose of realism, not being as shiny and reflective as possible.

11 hours ago, Gez said:

This texture is mostly used in toxic areas - this + the fact that we see lots of leakage on them influenced my vision of brngrn, and I see this texture like a concrete covered with several layers of paint + lots of leakage flowing out of the tabs. But ok, maybe we can make little compromise here.

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I agree, I never saw it as a shiny metal. I saw it as covered with rust and grime. 

Anyway, when will the textures for the first level be done? Is a demo planned?

The same as my old last-gen texture pack - when I have finished all textures for e1m1 I'll release a demo.

7 hours ago, Jerry.C said:

So what is this?

Making everything as shiny as possible, regardless of what it's supposed to represent?

In the E1M1 screenshot I see:

- a green wall that I always imagined to be a greenish concrete surface turned into something covered with, as Gez already said, high-gloss paint.

- a floor surface that's also a lot more shiny than stone should look. The tiles in my kitchen have a similar look but on the floor of some industrial facility it looks out of place.

- and to top it off, for the sake of shininess the stone ceiling turned into metal???

Come on! I absolutely love the possibilities of PBR, but it definitely needs a dose of realism, not being as shiny and reflective as possible.

I'm sorry if you're disappointed, but guess what - is not a radio request show. If you want realism you must face the facts that all kind of materials have their own IOR. So if you want to use some paint you must use IOR for the specific kind of paint for it + of course IOR of another layers like dirt in mask on top of them. Have you ever seen concrete so much saturated and brown like that one form floor? No, because concrete can be shine and brown, but without paint you can't achieve that color. Well, the good times when you can just yelling "it's too plastic! it's too shiny for concrete" are over. Of course this stuff is even not alpha yet, so there is lot of polishing, but you can't judge all materials looking only on static images, you must see how this stuff was working with light. And you can't just play with the IOR values as you want - this is the whole realistic/PBR essence - all kind of surfaces have measured they refraction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

9 hours ago, Jerry.C said:

and to top it off, for the sake of shininess the stone ceiling turned into metal???

If you ever find some concrete panels with rivets in it - give me a sign ;)

19 hours ago, Mynameislol said:

I think it's time for someone to make proper 3D models, otherwise this texture pack will look very out of place

Is that even possible? It feels far too irrelevant for the Doom engine, at least for me.

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Is that even possible? It feels far too irrelevant for the Doom engine, at least for me.

Yes it it possible but the problem is that Zdoom only supports MD3 models which doesn't support enough polygons to create smooth looking characters. Basically the monsters would just look like they came from a PS1 game. That is, terrible.

It's not as big a problem for weapons and items though.