Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Do you speed up demos?

Do you speed up demos while watching them? Maybe regularly or maybe only on long lift rides, very repetitive fights, and moments like that? How do you get through tysons and lengthy movies?

Yes, if it is obvious what's happening but at the same time tedious. Sometimes you have to replay parts of the demo with slow motion.

I both speed up and slow down sections depending on the situation.

I lean on the speed up often for the mop up operations following a large slaughter fight when risks are low or while the player is tracking down the last escaped lost soul on a map. Another time for speedup is when there's a repetitive section and I've seen the first couple of executions. An excellent time to hit speed up is for difficult platforming where failure results in a long climb to get back to where the player fell off.

I use the slow down on maps where I'm trying to learn something specific from the demo, e.g. finding an elusive secret or well hidden trigger for progression.

In my dream source port there would be a rewind function so you can quickly go back for those special moments you want to watch again.

I tend to run almost all demos at 200% speed, but do slow them down at times when watching for those tight subtle moves or on short demos, under, say 2 minutes.

I watch most demos at normal speed. For movies like 30uvs and 30 nms, I'll watch them in sections if I haven't time to watch them in one go.

If a demo is flat-out boring, then I'll stop watching it. A boring demo at 100% speed will still be boring at 1000%.

For ultra-long Tysons, I'll vary the speed a lot while watching them. For lengthy sections of waiting for infighting or 100x door trick, I'll use a very high speed, but for "nomal action" (other than repetitive things like 1-on-1 punching a full-health cyberdemon), I'll use normal speed.

Sometimes I'll want to use walkcam (or in automap with iddt-iddt), in which case I'll pause, move the camera and resume. If you use slomo instead for that, the camera-moving is also slomo!

For very short trick-laden demos (or such sections of longer demos), I may use slomo. I think it's important to watch them at normal speed as well, or you won't appreciate the player's skill in executing them in real-time.

When working on a demo myself, I'll sometimes watch the WIP demos with ultra-ultra-slomo (down to 3%) to see where I'm losing time. Of course, normally the answer is lousy running and bumping into walls, but it can usefully clarify where and how improvements could be made, and if what I'm doing is working as intended, whether you're getting a wallrun effect, or if there is some way to get better monster assistance, etc., such as how to time a wake-up shot. One recent-ish demo where I did that a lot was this one on fa4d.

Ah yes, walkcam. This is something I use a lot, but not when watching a demo for the first time; rather when watching the second, third... time to figure out "what happened" or just to watch some neat architecture.

Also, -trace_thingshealth x y z   and -trace_givendamage x  are the features I use quite often.

Back to the "speed" topic. When watching the first time I rarely speed up. Sometimes it is "I know in this Tyson this infigting may take ages to create or this baron to kill, but I just want to feel the pain of the recorder" and I don't speed up on purpose. I think until 2011 or 2012 I never used speed change, but I had more time back then. Now I use it, just not too much.

I watch every demo at normal speed, Nice 2 hour marathons for the tyson runs. I've even watched the TNT UV MAX d2all 3 times in a row, just to study it. Boy that was a long day haha :P