Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

The first movie was not very memorable, I don't even remember if I finished it.

This can go either surprisingly well or extremely badly.

Sorta hoping the former.

I'm probably going to watch it so I can made my own opinion on it, but given how bad was the first, combined with the notoriety of games-to-movie adaptions, my expectations are basically nonexistent.

It'd be amazing if it turns out fantastic, but my hopes are extremely low.

Well, the original Doom movie wasn't so bad - I just couldn't accept the major plot change (bio engineering instead of demonic invasion).

If Bethesda announces a new Doom movie along Doom 2018 Hell on Earth I'd be pretty happy :)

11 hours ago, Master O said:

As for this new Doom movie, I expect it to suck, just like every other video game to movie adaptation Hollywood has done.  Nothing to see there.  Just another shit sandwich created by a Hollywood out of ideas and creativity.  

You take that back! The Mortal Kombat movie is gold. Pure gold I tell you!

What we have hear is an opportunity for Hollywood to give us a new action/sci-fi mega hit. The chances of that happening are a bit slim, but possible. The current reigning champs include, among others, Escape from New York (1982), The Terminator (1984) Aliens (1986), Robocop (1987), Total Recall (1990), Terminator 2 (1991), Event Horizon (1997), Starship Troopers (1997), The Fifth Element (1997) and The Matrix (1999). And hell, why not include Inception (2010). Boy, '97 was a great year!

These films, disparate as they are, share the commonalities of a strong artistic vision, interesting concepts, memorable performances and outlandish technology. Some are a bit sillier than others, and some are more arthouse than others, but all are proof of the potential for action/sci-fi as a legitimate style of film, and clearly, there is a mainstream audience for it. The 2005 Doom film was an opportunity to harken back the sub-genre's origins, but felt more like a high budget SYFY channel movie-of-the-week than it did an homage to say, Aliens. It's all but guaranteed the new version will be at a better outing for the franchise, but the coherency of the plot, the complete lack of identity of the main character, and the balance between story and action are going to be difficult kinks to work out. 

On ‎20‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 6:14 PM, Grimosaur said:

Oh damn, she will be playing Olivia Pierce. Just look at her appearance she's perfect for it.

Ohhh boy, that would be awesome. But she needs to look much older :D Surely can be done with Makeup.

My biggest fear about new Doom movie is that it will be generic as every other movie, nowadays.

sex scene - drama - some action - some plot - some more sex scene - some subplot - drama - happy end, everyone survives.

Really not sure if I would watch it, if it should come out.

Just now, rodster said:

My biggest fear about new Doom movie is that it will be generic as every other movie.

Sex Scene - Drama - some Action - some plot - some more sex Scene - Drama - happy end, everyone survives.

The question is "what kind of 'happy ending'?"  [/evil smile]

I just want an Event Horizon-style "haunted house" movie where a team of protagonists (with someone who turns on everyone) is slowly picked off in a nightmarish series of environments. This is actually what the original movie tried to do, but it got weighed down with bad writing, cliches and a tame art direction.

I don't care what they do as long as they don't make the Doomguy a female for the sake of some dumb agenda.

2 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Lets face facts there. Theres no way it can be worse than the first one.

Really? Lame as it was, I struggle to think of many movie adaptations better than the Doom movie, sad as that may be. Take a look at the film adaptations of Super Mario, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.. It could have been way, way worse, like "cringe so hard my body turns inside-out" levels of shittiness. Most adaptations leave me flabbergasted by the level of incompetence and unfaithfulness to the source material. Doom gets the distinction of just being a shlocky B-Movie with some okay action scenes. In the world of video game films, that puts it near the top of the pack.. Unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I don't care what they do as long as they don't make the Doomguy a female for the sake of some dumb agenda.

If their source of inspiration is Lorelei Chen or Thi Barret from the Doom Bible it can be interesting. But it is a fool dream.

26 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

It's pretty obvious Nina is going to play Olivia Pierce, she looks like she could be her daughter.

25 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

It's pretty obvious Nina is going to play Olivia Pierce, she looks like she could be her daughter.

While a retelling of Doom 2016 wouldn't be the worst idea, I would like this to be an original story.

20 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Could the film's writer be silently watching us right now, just as they had done before?

Hey, Mr. Big Shot Hollywood Script Writer, whatever you do, don't mention a Revenant100 in your film!

Now that you say that I did wonder why the second Doom movie had a green marine named "Revenant."

Hey scriptwriters reading this thread to make a good movie. Take the best parts of this:

...and make it thematically like this:

M'kay?

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Lets face facts there. Theres no way it can be worse than the first one.

Oh I assure you it can. Although I have greater hopes with Universal... a sequel or reboot of an already bad movie that failed despite the Rock and Bones can fail far worse than the original.

While I'm here I might as well plug this great song:

Will be following this. I didn't think Doom the movie was bad at all in spite of the lack of hell.