Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

QCDE Is Awesome!

I just played Quake Champions Doom Edition, and I got to say it's very great. After knowing that the original game is online multiplayer only, I was disappointed. I was hoping that we get a new single player entry. With the Doom mod however, we finally get a new Quake game with a Quake 1 styled single player =D. I do wonder why id Software added in special abilities to the original game though. It may be to make the game different from Quake 3 Arena, but with that feature however, they cut the amount of playable characters you can have from Q3, and special abilities would make the game a bit like Overwatch. With the Doom Edition, you get classic characters like the Heretic, Cleric, Mage, Fighter, Duke Nukem, and Caleb, which is very awesome (sadly no Strife soldier). Loot boxes are in Quake Champions, but with the Doom Edition there's no microtransactions. What do you think of the game? Which version do you prefer?

QC is very fun, but the technical difficulties are grating. Still, it's Early Access and improvements keep getting rolled out so I'm hopeful. 

This is gonna stir up a Hot Take Cyclone, but QCDE always felt a little bitchy to me. I can imagine the creator thinking he needs to "improve" QC so he egotistically makes his own version for internet fame. Not cool!

14 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

This is gonna stir up a Hot Take Cyclone, but QCDE always felt a little bitchy to me. I can imagine the creator thinking he needs to "improve" QC so he egotistically makes his own version for internet fame. Not cool!

I think you're just severely underestimating just how often people see something and immediately go "oh this is cool, let's make it in Doom instead!"

It's honestly kinda bizarre. I get being inspired to use a mechanic or aesthetic or something from another game as an idea for a Doom mod, but the ZDoom forum's project ideas thread is littered with idea that are just "x but in Doom." It even happened to Ion Maiden, something that's already using a 90s FPS engine.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

QC is very fun, but the technical difficulties are grating. Still, it's Early Access and improvements keep getting rolled out so I'm hopeful. 

I think you got the concept wrong. I've never claimed "we're doing it better". Rarely someone would come around and tell us "this is better than the original" to which I try to respond that QC is miles ahead. We just wanted to make our own little version with champions we wanted and play doom levels and kill stuff with these weapons.

We've caught the eye of quite a few actual quake players that ask things like "can we have CPMA movement? can we circlestrafe? can we bunnyhop?" and Im always very upfront telling them that we have a limited enigne and that QCDE is the "toy version" of the real thing. It the concept is similar, but in no way can compete with the real deal, as QCDE is a dumbed down version of it.

16 minutes ago, DBThanatos said:

It the concept is similar, but in no way can compete with the real deal, as QCDE is a dumbed down version of it.

It hurts me to see this. What you did was phenomenal, please stop kidding yourself. :) Old-school single player, bots for multiplayer thanks to Zandronum, classic characters, no microtransactions. It's said that QC has microtransactions and no single player. Not even AI bots made it back.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:08 PM, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

It hurts me to see this. What you did was phenomenal, please stop kidding yourself. :) Old-school single player, bots for multiplayer thanks to Zandronum, classic characters, no microtransactions. It's said that QC has microtransactions and no single player. Not even AI bots made it back.

Thank you very much for the kind words :D

Oddly enough people were quite adamant at first asking for us to include custom skins for weapons and players, and cosmetics and all sorts of stuff. It was clear they thought this was more than it actually is XD