Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

42 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Please do post your UV Max of this map.

I actually had two versions of the level (they are the same except for music and textures). French Doomer UV  Maxed it. 

@mArt1And00m3r11339

In my original post I ask what source port the map is designed for. If no such information is given, I usually use GZDoom. What port is this video? For me the imp-stuck-on-arch-vile effect did not work properly, so I was immediately incinerated by dozens of archies. I thought it was just a joke. Didn't even notice the imps.

@DooM_RO

I really don't play very well in this run, so there are a number of deaths. I also get lost from about 37-48 because I just didn't see a door. And the door is not even hidden at all. I just sucked at life. So feel free to skip that part.

Doomworld download page

The map looks nice. It's well detailed and the layout is good. There are often multiple ways to go and various windows, etc. to show you later or previous parts of the map. I was not familiar with the Doom 3 textures, but they worked well. Unfortunately, I think I was at a slight disadvantage, not being used to door textures, etc. so I think that is part of why I got lost for so long and part of why I only came away with 4/12 secrets. 

The progression and combat were fun and worked together well for the most part. Difficulty was about right where I like it, except toward the beginning where I did not have sufficient ammo. It's easily possible to encounter a hell knight, a revenant, and many demons and imps before getting anything other than a pistol. And now that I think about it, both plasma guns I found were secrets, I believe. The map is really not super big/long - just 230 enemies, so 12 secrets is a little bit too many, i think, because you just end up taking supplies that the player will definitely find and turning them into supplies the player might find. In other words, the difficulty difference between finding no secrets and finding all of them should not be as striking as it probably is in this map, but admittedly, I have no idea what is in the other 8 secrets.

I've noticed a style in DooM_RO's mapping in just three maps I've played of his: significant size/length, interconnected areas, quality fights that tend not to remind you of slaughter, and nonlinear progression, and it tends to be executed pretty well.

One another thing: after the fact I noticed it said this map is designed for no running. I'm glad I didn't see that because I probably would not have played the map, since I try to experience the map as intended. That's an odd parameter and I don't know why it would have made a difference.

Bottom line: At the end of the day, it's a solid Doom map with some nice touches via the Doom 3 textures.

@HAK3180

Thank you for your playthrough!

I have no idea what happened at that first secret door. You were supposed to be able to open it. No one else had the problem.

If you want, leave a review on the Downloads section :).

@Sparktimus

Download the .7z

First of all, I played this on Hurt Me Plenty because I didn't remember Sparktimus had suggested Ultra-Violence. I did find it a little bit easy, but perhaps more polishing was done on Ultra Violence. Still, it wasn't boringly easy - just a chill, Doom 1 feeling tech base.

The layout and look are well done. I nitpick a few things in the video, but there's plenty of detailing, interconnected areas, smart design techniques, etc. that make this feel like it's expertly put together. There are actually some nice lighting details. I think what I was getting at is that there's basically an overall 192 or so light level, and although there are nice shadows and flickers here and there, perhaps some rooms could be significantly darker overall.

I really liked the secrets in this map. Very Doom.

Bottom line: This is a short and sweet tech base that looks to be the start of a promising set.

@HAK3180 I'd enjoy watching you play my latest creation. It is a short 5-8min map, intended for UV skill (all other skills are supported). The target port is any Boom compatible limit-removing port, I used PrBoom+.

Keep up the good work you are doing here!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@xanrer

Doomworld forum topic

Not much to say here. Just a little lighting experiment. Check it out if you're into that kind of thing. It looks pretty cool.

Thanks mate, that typo though.. im dying :D

@beast

Doomworld forum topic

For the most part it feels like Knee Deep in the Dead, but it has a few hellish elements that are pretty well done and some Doom 2 monsters and super shotgun. Parts of it are (presumably intentionally) extremely similar to E1M1 but it's by no means a clone. The design is fine and it looks pretty good most of the time. There's definitely some attention to detail, like some lighting differences, lots of height changes, and texture variety. There are a few things that could use a little bit of work, like in a place or two the texture change is kinda abrupt. A little bit of shawn or support or something in between might work. Also, there are ways of getting around the fact that there are only so many switch textures. And I don't mean making new switch textures. In a spot or two it looked like you wish you had a different switch but just used the best match available. Maybe not though.

Game play was fine. Nothing too cheap and nothing too simplistic. I thought the teleporting room was odd, and I thought the commando room was too encouraging of camping, but other than that, enough of a challenge and not boring.

Bottom line: This being beast's fourth map, I'd say it's a promising new(er) mapper. It's a short and pretty sweet tech base. 

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Game play was fine. Nothing too cheap and nothing too simplistic. I thought the teleporting room was odd, and I thought the commando room was too encouraging of camping, but other than that, enough of a challenge and not boring.

Bottom line: This being beast's fourth map, I'd say it's a promising new(er) mapper. It's a short and pretty sweet tech base. 

That was awesome, @HAK3180. The teleport trick was actually inspired by MAP10: Refueling Base from the original Doom 2, where you encounter the cyberdemon and it teleports between rooms as you fight it.

Thanks for the commentary, you made some good pointers and I really enjoyed watching that 🤘

Just saw this thread, it's cool! Gunna watch some wads that you've played later tonight. 

I've made a DoomII style wad if you'd like to try it. WARNING!!: it's very long and detailed though. Not particularly difficult but the map itself is quite intricate and you'll need to look closely at the map at times, mostly for getting the blue key. It takes about 2-3 hours to complete (!).  I wanted to make a map that was like a mini-episode in one map and very non-linear and based on Exploration and Survival. I wanted to make the player feel like they were really lost in a huge Mars base and they need to focus on direction and balancing health and ammo supplies. Still, it has plenty of action and surprises. Many people don't like it because it's such a long map LOL oh well. It's my first map. 

If you give it a shot then i hope you have fun!! 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dab79

@Glaice

Doomworld download page

Pretty good map by Glaice again. I don't know if Abyssus is the right name since it's mostly tech base, but it's pretty well designed and plays pretty fun. It doesn't look absolutely terrific, but there's enough detailing that it certainly is not an eyesore. The flow of the map is such that there are a lot of doors, many of which open directly, some of which open on switches. It's not always clear what a switch does, but I wouldn't call it switch hunting; it's more like "which of the two or three locked doors did that open?" The combat is pretty good. Even when there's some backtracking, new monsters have popped in to guide you and make your life miserable. Much of the map is tight and filled with humans, so you often cannot just avoid projectiles easily. There are also some well thought traps and interesting secrets. There were a few odd combat situations, like by the blue key and the ending, but a nice E2 map overall.

Bottom line: pretty similar to an iwad map, and that's a good thing.

I couldn't think of map names so I started using Latin words to describe things. Maybe the pits describe the name used for it?

@PeterMoro

idgames download

The above video is just part 1, since the map is so long. It seems to be well designed and I have to give props for the intricacies and pretty good visuals throughout. But so far, it's just too big for me. This map would probably appeal to a certain audience, but for me, there's just too much to do. It feels like every route leads to a few more routes and that never ending sense of "At some point I have to come back and explore this some more" takes its toll. For the first probably 45 minutes or so, I was pretty much always seeing something I hadn't seen yet, but then I got to a point where I had to go back through the massive level to look for key doors/the next path. It didn't help that there were lots of each key door and even multiple exits. Plus, many of the doors don't open or open on switches. After the red key, I had no idea what my ultimate or preliminary objective was until I spotted the blue key, but then I didn't know how to get it anyway. The interconnected design is fascinating and probably genius in hindsight/after you finally figure it out, but for now, I'm thoroughly confused. I will probably not even start recording part 2 until I figure out where to go next. (*Hint hint* Or Peter could give me a hint)

Visually it's pretty good. There's a lot of attention given to lighting and some other details. Sometimes it's a little rectangular and occasionally there's a bit too much of the same texture, but its pretty well thematic throughout. 

I didn't have a problem with the monster selection/placement: lots of hitscanners to keep you on your toes but never really unfair. But the issue was balancing the level for so many possible routes. There were times where I really could have used a super shotgun but never found one. There were times where I could have used a rocket launcher, but I found it much later. I guarantee this map is played unrecognizably differently by everyone who plays it, due to how big and nonlinear it is. For that reason, it should probably feature multiple pickups of each weapon. I only saw one rocket launcher and no plasma gun or super shotgun in over 600 enemies and over 80 minutes.

Bottom line: It's well done for the most part, but it's long and exploratory to a fault. I'm hoping the second half is a bit more straightforward. 

32 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@PeterMoro

idgames download

The above video is just part 1, since the map is so long. It seems to be well designed and I have to give props for the intricacies and pretty good visuals throughout. But so far, it's just too big for me. This map would probably appeal to a certain audience, but for me, there's just too much to do. It feels like every route leads to a few more routes and that never ending sense of "At some point I have to come back and explore this some more" takes its toll. For the first probably 45 minutes or so, I was pretty much always seeing something I hadn't seen yet, but then I got to a point where I had to go back through the massive level to look for key doors/the next path. It didn't help that there were lots of each key door and even multiple exits. Plus, many of the doors don't open or open on switches. After the red key, I had no idea what my ultimate or preliminary objective was until I spotted the blue key, but then I didn't know how to get it anyway. The interconnected design is fascinating and probably genius in hindsight/after you finally figure it out, but for now, I'm thoroughly confused. I will probably not even start recording part 2 until I figure out where to go next. (*Hint hint* Or Peter could give me a hint)

Visually it's pretty good. There's a lot of attention given to lighting and some other details. Sometimes it's a little rectangular and occasionally there's a bit too much of the same texture, but its pretty well thematic throughout. 

I didn't have a problem with the monster selection/placement: lots of hitscanners to keep you on your toes but never really unfair. But the issue was balancing the level for so many possible routes. There were times where I really could have used a super shotgun but never found one. There were times where I could have used a rocket launcher, but I found it much later. I guarantee this map is played unrecognizably differently by everyone who plays it, due to how big and nonlinear it is. For that reason, it should probably feature multiple pickups of each weapon. I only saw one rocket launcher and no plasma gun or super shotgun in over 600 enemies and over 80 minutes.

Bottom line: It's well done for the most part, but it's long and exploratory to a fault. I'm hoping the second half is a bit more straightforward. 

Thanks for trying and reviewing my map! I haven't watched all the review but just took a look to see where you were at to give you a hint. Basically many people get stuck in this part. This is where you've gotta figure out how to get the blue key. There are multiple paths to getting it, you just gotta connect a few dots with your map. What also helps with this map is to just try exploring some place you haven't been. Who knows? you might find the SSG or the rocket launcher ; )

People keep bringing up that it took me 4 years to build but I work slowly and it's not bragging but an embarrassing reflection of what a nooby map author i am. LOL I took my time and put in a few hours a week over four years. 

Hope you'll enjoy part 2, let me know if you need another hint : )

@PeterMoro

A tip to you and anyone else watching (especially long) videos: You can still understand pretty much everything I say if you watch on 1.5 speed.

Yes, I do end up getting a rocket launcher, just no SSG. I'll probably attempt part 2 on Monday.

@PeterMoro

Re: Deimos Abandoned Base #79

idgames download page

I started to do part 2, but I had to quit recording. As far as I'm concerned, this is a puzzle map. Here's why:

These are reasons this is a puzzle map, not reasons this is a bad map

1) It's freaking huge.

2) There are always many possible ways to go.

3) There are multiple of each key door and most of them do not let you see progress. This was the most frustrating part of the entire map, I think. I spent hours trying to get to the blue key, and once I did, of course there are like half a dozen blue doors and only one of them is where you need to go. Same exact thing upon getting the yellow key.

4) There are numerous parts where you have to hit multiple switches to progress.

5) There are numerous doors that open on switches and the switches are very often not nearby. At one point I flipped SIX switches and didn't have a clue what a single one of them did.

6) There are numerous doors that only open from one side and force a major detour if you want to go back.

7) There are tons of areas that seem important (how you access them, how large they are, how significant the fights are), but don't really offer anything toward ultimately completing the map.

So I determined that a decent video would not be feasible: it would either be extremely long and boring due to so much confusion and backtracking or it would not even be close to FDA. I don't have the time or the desire to learn this particular map well enough to be able to do a demo in which I know what I'm doing the whole way through, but that would be the only video of this map worth watching, in my opinion.

Puzzle is not a bad genre per se, though; it's just not very conducive to this kind of thing, i.e. videos of my first playthrough.

I'm probably not qualified to comment on a puzzle map because I haven't played many and it's not really my thing, but I think it's just too big. There are plenty of epic maps, even ones with lots of exploration, that you can still navigate with a sense of knowing where you're going. In this map, I felt like I was exploring at first, but then it just became me banging my head against a wall trying to find new areas and key doors and switch hunting. If the goal is puzzle, I think it should be smaller. Puzzle maps should be full of "aha!" moments, not "I guess this is the right way" moments. But if the goal is epic exploratory adventure, I think the progression should be more obvious. If the goal is both, I think it's nearly impossible to do that well. 

Just for reference, this map is every bit of 24,000 x 14,000, and it would take a 36,000 x 24,000 pixel rectangle to fit the whole thing.

Bottom line: I applaud the effort. I did finish the map (with much cheating) and it's very well put together. See a few posts up for more specifics. If you have a great memory and a lot of time and love puzzles, do play this map. If you think progression should always be fairly obvious and/or you prefer more linear maps, definitely do not play this.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@PeterMoro

Re: Deimos Abandoned Base #79

idgames download page

I started to do part 2, but I had to quit recording. As far as I'm concerned, this is a puzzle map. Here's why:

These are reasons this is a puzzle map, not reasons this is a bad map

1) It's freaking huge.

2) There are always many possible ways to go.

3) There are multiple of each key door and most of them do not let you see progress. This was the most frustrating part of the entire map, I think. I spent hours trying to get to the blue key, and once I did, of course there are like half a dozen blue doors and only one of them is where you need to go. Same exact thing upon getting the yellow key.

4) There are numerous parts where you have to hit multiple switches to progress.

5) There are numerous doors that open on switches and the switches are very often not nearby. At one point I flipped SIX switches and didn't have a clue what a single one of them did.

6) There are numerous doors that only open from one side and force a major detour if you want to go back.

7) There are tons of areas that seem important (how you access them, how large they are, how significant the fights are), but don't really offer anything toward ultimately completing the map.

So I determined that a decent video would not be feasible: it would either be extremely long and boring due to so much confusion and backtracking or it would not even be close to FDA. I don't have the time or the desire to learn this particular map well enough to be able to do a demo in which I know what I'm doing the whole way through, but that would be the only video of this map worth watching, in my opinion.

Puzzle is not a bad genre per se, though; it's just not very conducive to this kind of thing, i.e. videos of my first playthrough.

I'm probably not qualified to comment on a puzzle map because I haven't played many and it's not really my thing, but I think it's just too big. There are plenty of epic maps, even ones with lots of exploration, that you can still navigate with a sense of knowing where you're going. In this map, I felt like I was exploring at first, but then it just became me banging my head against a wall trying to find new areas and key doors and switch hunting. If the goal is puzzle, I think it should be smaller. Puzzle maps should be full of "aha!" moments, not "I guess this is the right way" moments. But if the goal is epic exploratory adventure, I think the progression should be more obvious. If the goal is both, I think it's nearly impossible to do that well. 

Just for reference, this map is every bit of 24,000 x 14,000, and it would take a 36,000 x 24,000 pixel rectangle to fit the whole thing.

Bottom line: I applaud the effort. I did finish the map (with much cheating) and it's very well put together. See a few posts up for more specifics. If you have a great memory and a lot of time and love puzzles, do play this map. If you think progression should always be fairly obvious and/or you prefer more linear maps, definitely do not play this.

Thanks for giving my map a try and I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as i'd hoped. Surprised that the frustration / path finding blues didn't reside after you found the Blue key. That's where most people get upset. I can agree that i was overly ambitious with my first map and should have made the critical path more obvious in places. I was going for huge and non-linear but I way over- stepped the mark with being non-linear. Still, I wouldn't call it a puzzle map, but anyway. I've watched a few of your videos and I like your review style and i wouldn't say that this review is unfair. Just bummed that it must have taken too long to record the completion. 

You flipped six switches but didn't know their meaning (point 5) ? No idea where that is unless it's the puzzle to getting the BFG. In that case it's the choice of six pictures, two of which are often repeated all over the map. (the combination) . The other four are never seen. That's a simple puzzle for the BFG, but this map doesn't have much use the BFG anyway. 

Well as compensation to many people who had a similar experience to you, I'm making making a new map that's a polar opposite to this one: much shorter and more obvious and very fast / action-based. 

Thanks for reviewing map dude! Sorry for the frustration ; )

Edited by PeterMoro

@PeterMoro: I think this times 1/4 would have been outstanding. I liked how there was a much more straightforward section in the middle with all the marble stuff. I'll be glad to play more of your stuff; you've got a good mapping head on your shoulders, clearly. I mean, this is a work of art, truly. This thing honestly reminds me of Super Metroid. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more with a different attitude, i.e. not recording it and trying to do it in a reasonable amount of time.  

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This map stays true to xdarkmasterx's style: gameplay over beauty. I must say, though, that he has much worse-looking maps. This one is a little bit bland and has a ton of the green zimmer texture (to be fair, it is the premise of the level if you read the description), but the geometry itself never leaves you dumbfounded and there are some nice details here and there, including lighting. The flow is solid - nothing outstanding, but never confusing or annoying. Basically there are two paths, either of which will lead you to the first key, which leads to the second, which leads to the third. The combat is pretty well done throughout. It forces you to move right from the beginning and discourages you from clearing out whole rooms at a time; it accomplishes this with damaging floors, monster placement, and supply placement. I did not think any area was unfair, and only a couple areas were weak: the arch-vile and revenant on platforms are easily campable and the final area was underwhelming because of amount of plasma and variety of monsters (= infighting), but both of these could be quite different on harder difficulties. 

Bottom line: if you're a solid player and don't mind less than stellar visuals, give this a go. 

@NeedHealth

Doomworld forum thread for Nova III project

I like this. It's a quick little run through a map that's part tech base, part natural environment. The combat is never boring but also never too challenging. I don't know how hard the megawad is supposed to be or if it is supposed to progress in difficulty, but this is map 06 and it's pretty easy on Ultra-Violence. Personally, I don't need a map to be hard to be fun. I think this one looks great and is a fun play. The textures look nice and set the mood nicely.

A few minor potential negatives: there were a few misalignments, one of which I point out at the beginning. What some of the switches do is not always very obvious (,not that you ever get confused). The music, although I love it, I'm not sure fits the theme. It would seem to me to suggest a large level that you can run around in freely, like an Odyssey of Noises or Mt. Erebus, but honestly, I'm not sure how important matching mood to music is anyway. After all, it's very arbitrary and I normally play with my own music anyway.

Bottom line: Nova III will be pretty fun if this is the type of quality we can expect.

17 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Thank you . What I could see made me wondering if there is a slightly earlier version out there that you're playing. I gotta check my files - it should be mostly cosmetic changes so it is no big deal. e- the eye switch at the start is part of the secret that makes the rocket launcher avilable .

-e2 the music , as you meantioned , is supposed to make you want to run through the level . The shorter the level the more fast paced music I choose .

My body of work. I am most proud of Bedrock of Hate and Port of no Return .

eagle speed mapping mapping 8

map01 Among the Smog

pigeon speed mapping 2

map03 Bedrock of Hate

map05 Port of no Return

eagle speed mapping seven

map01 It Followed Me Home

pigeon speed mapping

map01 Gravedigger's Lot

map02 Dead yet Dreaming

nova three

Dante Allegory

Edited by NeedHealth

@Glaice

Doomworld download page

This is a creepy gothic map that features great visuals and variety in game play that doesn't really deviate from a constant theme. I liked how the key doors and new monster closets prevented any true backtracking. This map is not very hard with only one spot with a very high monster density, but the monsters are placed well so that it's still fun and not just a breeze.

Bottom line: A fun experience that's a little bit different than the more standard Doom that is what we tend to get from Glaice. 

@NeedHealth

Doomworld download page

This is a fun map. More attention was given to game play than to visual beauty, but the flow is fine and it certainly doesn't look bad; it's just a bit crude in some places, but it is a speedmapping effort, after all. I liked how almost every monster was visible from the start so there was a little bit of an overhwelming sense. I very nearly died twice at the beginning. But then it gets pretty easy. Perhaps one or two more traps (or perhaps the revenant and commando traps could have been a bit harder) would have made the difficulty feel more complete. I have to say that I very much enjoy NeedHealth's style. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it just yet, but I'm never bored or lost and the difficulty and visuals are good.

Bottom line: This is a fun, short map that should appeal to most Doomers.

atonE1E2.wad

Just finished up on this release. Would like to see you play through some of these levels and let me know what you think. :)

@Glaice

This is the first map in a Doom 1 replacement megawad. But you'd probably know that if I hadn't told you. It very much feels like Knee Deep in the Dead, and there's not a whole lot more to be said about it. I thought there were a couple odd choices (easily avoidable single cacodemon trap and teleporter to get outside when a simple door would seem to have worked better) and a little bit of crudeness, but it's basically an early E1 map. If you had a friend who had never played Doom, you could probably swap this map for M1 or M2 and they would never know it. Still, it's never identical or nearly identical to any specific Doom map.

Bottom line: I'm thinking this is the start of a straight up Doom knockoff, and I mean that in a good way. So if you still like the original Doom, even without nostalgia, play this.